Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Can Debian run pptp and OpenVPN-AS at the same time?

Can Debian run pptp and OpenVPN-AS at the same time?

AsimAsim Member
edited October 2012 in Help

Weird question but can Debian run pptp and OpenVPN-AS at the same time?

Reason? pptp is required on my cell/router but on Windows systems OpenVPN client works best!! hence I want to have both in the same box. Thoughts?

Comments

• yep.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • fanfan Member

They use different devices, so it's possible.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • Yes, if the proper modules are enabled.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • Indeed it can, give me a shout if you want a test box to work it out.

• Yes.

• No problem: ppptp: Using interface ppp0 - ip: 10.1.1.1 openvpn: Using interface dev tun - ip: 10.1.2.1

wlanboy.com - a twitter archive dedicated to vps providers

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • MaouniqueMaounique Member
    edited October 2012

It is possible, but i believe openvpn is not the best solution for vpn. a ssh/socks proxy gives good granular control on app level. I would be interested to know why ppl prefer openvpn unless you need complex setups like bridge subnets or something. M

Apology for Terror: New free speech offense, used to silence people criticizing the governments for failing to address the real issues driving the radicalization (religious (christian-islamic), political (left-right), etc)

• Because it tunnels all data, not just secular apps who 'support' a proxy.

And that is, at times, very necessary.

-- BOFH

• I believe when using SSH you can only have one connection at the same time. So, using OpenVPN is better (at least for me :p)

I've tried to run both PPTP and OpenVPN-As on my debian at the same time successfully.

I'm Good!