Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Customer who's DDoS was mitigated still complains - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Customer who's DDoS was mitigated still complains

Comments

• @eLohkCalb said: Understand. However I believe the provider should turn it on for a while when there's an attack so that there's evidence to be shown to the customer.

So you think it is a good idea to prolong the downtime of your other clients so you can provide logs to the user?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@eLohkCalb said: Sounds like a a good PR disaster plan, to me at least.

PR disaster? How so? He's not a client so the company has no obligation to provide him with anything.

• @vdnet said: So you think it is a good idea to prolong the downtime of your other clients so you can provide logs to the user?

That is for the provider to judge and decide.

• @KuJoe I appreciate the sentiment but truth be told as a provider I have tried to: provide my customer with the best possible service, ensure that he is up and running, offered a new IP address and he would have been patient I would have provided him with the information that he requested. When I saw that he was getting impatient I just offered him a refund. I doubt that there was anything else that I could have done.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited October 2012

@KuJoe said: PR disaster? How so? He's not a client so the company has no obligation to provide him with anything.

Sorry, I have nothing more to add on to that point. It's all about choices at the end of the day.

Edit:
    Let me add a little bit more about what I said earlier. I agree that a company has no obligation to provide anything to a non customer. However, the way of how a company handles such incidents, and how the company treats prospects/ex-customers, are factors that I would consider before I choose a provider. That's just me though.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Siding with @vpsnodebox on this one. Sounds to me like he did his job well. Not worth much, just sharing my opinion as a fellow provider that loves to have the opportunity to serve his client base...just like @vpsnodebox does.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • I think I lost a few IQ points from reading what your customer was trying to say.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@vpsnodebox said: I doubt that there was anything else that I could have done.

I am agreeing with you. Even after you provided him with a refund he's still asking for logs.

@eLohkCalb said: Sorry, I have nothing more to add on to that point. It's all about choices at the end of the day.

Sounds good to me, I wasn't trying to argue with you but your vague statement did cause confusion because it didn't make sense to me.

• @jarland @KuJoe - Thanks guys, I appreciate the support.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited October 2012

Worst thread ever. Why would @vpsnodebox just stop your service claiming a DDoS if there isn't one? If you're not creating trouble for the node or network then all he's doing is losing money by cutting you, @likexian.

On the other hand, how hard would it be to show a screenshot of the node's MRTG?

Thanked by 1likexian
  • likexianlikexian Member
    edited October 2012

@KuJoe i ask for log on the chat, not this thread, please be clear. they refunded some hour after this thread. i don't ask for log on this thread, but just discuss.

@Kairus all you see is the trouble i make to the provider, but on the other side, the provider also make trouble to me. if there is a ddos, it is so hrad to show me the dc notice email or something like this? the problem can end in some minutes, it is them make it long.

• @Kairus He is no longer a customer and I definitively can't/won't/don't have to (take your pick) show or disclose such information on a public forum.

Any customer information is private and protected by our privacy policy, as is any internal data in our company a closely guarded secret. Disclosing such information on a public forum or otherwise online would be considered a severe breach of ethics and unprofessional. We will not publicly disclose such information just to satisfy someone's curiosity / to humor someone or for PR reasons.

• @likexian We where about to, how ever you where extremely impatient. Since you are no longer a customer we don't have to show you anything. This is now an internal matter.

• It's just unfortunate that public forums end up turning into support forums when something goes wrong. I think @vpsnodebox handled the issue like most hosts would, but now he has to live with a mark against his name when people search for his brand in Google:

• @vpsnodebox i won't ask for log now, i just share with other my experience

• KairusKairus Member
    edited October 2012

@vpsnodebox said: @Kairus He is no longer a customer and I definitively can't/won't/don't have to (take your pick) show or disclose such information on a public forum.

Any customer information is private and protected by our privacy policy, as is any internal data in our company a closely guarded secret. Disclosing such information on a public forum or otherwise online would be considered a severe breach of ethics and unprofessional. We will not publicly disclose such information just to satisfy someone's curiosity / to humor someone or for PR reasons.

No, you don't have to, but why shouldn't you? This showing doesn't make me want to buy a server for you, considering I know how simple it is to screencap an MRTG. An MRTG for the port isn't 'private and protected data'. I'm just going to assume you don't have access to them at PhoenixNAP and you received a ticket from Secured Servers and that's all you got.

@likexian there are a lot of great providers here, so good luck!

Thanked by 2likexian Spirit
  • @serverbear I appreciate the support and your comments. However there are always two sides to a story and by God in the last couple of days I have been pushed to extremes and threatened numerous times that if I don't do this or that my company will be talked bad about on numerous public forums. I really can't get into more detail than that. There is always two sides to a story and maybe it is time to put my blog to good use. I was so busy that I have failed to post anything on it.

I am seriously thinking about starting an abusive user database for US providers. That's all about I can say for now since I have to consult with my lawyer and make the system as unbiased and incorruptible as possible. Providers should have the means to defend themselves as well against abuse. At least this way abusive customer will not be able to jump from one provider to the next every time that they break the law and abuse their hosting company.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited October 2012

@vpsnodebox, your Search ranking is screwed

• @Randy said: your SEO is fucked

That's page 3 of the results.

• @Kairus I really appreciate what you are saying but all internal company data and customer information is kept private.

• TazTaz Member

@vpsnodebox said: I am seriously thinking about starting an abusive user database for US providers. That's all about I can say for now since I have to consult with my lawyer and make the system as unbiased and incorruptible as possible. Providers should have the means to defend themselves as well against abuse. At least this way abusive customer will not be able to jump from one provider to the next every time that they break the law and abuse their hosting company.

Fraudrecord for whmcs ;)

• @Taz_NinjaHawk keep guessing.

• TazTaz Member

@vpsnodebox WHY? It is already there. Why not simply contribute to it?

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Fraudrecord for whmcs ;)

Based on my dealings with Fraudrecord I wouldn't trust their database. Becomes ironic when a representative of Fraudrecord wants you to lie on their behalf.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk So now you are chasing me around threads. Nice.

• TazTaz Member

@Chief said: Fraudrecord wants you to lie on their behalf.

When ? Harzem asked to do so for real?WOW!

• TazTaz Member
    edited October 2012

@vpsnodebox said: @Taz_NinjaHawk So now you are chasing me around threads. Nice.

Dude, I was the first one who supported you here and on the other post. WTF?

• @Taz_NinjaHawk Nothing, you just started this in another thread :)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@likexian not sure why you thanked me. I was telling you to just move on. You don't need your logs--you got your money back which says quite a bit about the character of vpsnodebox. I don't know anything about the quality of their hosting, but they're certainly not out to screw you over, particularly regarding DDoS of all things.

• TazTaz Member

@vpsnodebox said: @Taz_NinjaHawk Nothing, you just started this in another thread :)

I am lost. What have I done this time?