Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any other company offer an AWS like service?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any other company offer an AWS like service?

A company I work with is looking for a system service provider much like Amazon Web Services for their. Are there any competitors to Amazon that offer the same level of functionality, ease of provisioning and setup, and competitive pricing for EC2(system) and RDS(database) systems?

I'm open to ideas as I've contacted Verizon, Peak10, Level3, etc. so far.

Comments

• pyridinepyridine Member
    edited May 2015

Rackspace and Google Cloud Platform are the most notable/direct competitors to AWS. I'm sure there are numerous smaller companies.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Microsoft Azure. Yes, they do Linux as well. Pricing is virtually identical to AWS.

• What specific features, locations are you looking for?

• J1021J1021 Member

You're asking on the wrong site.

Thanked by 2jar howardsl2
  • ChurchillChurchill Member
    edited May 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    What specific features, locations are you looking for?

8 CentOS linux Virtual Machines 1CPU, 1GB RAM, 20GB OS
    2 Database servers - Mysql, mount points only with 2 CPU, 4GB RAM, 100GB disk

I want them completely hardware independent just like they are in AWS. I don't care what type of server is underneath just as long as I am able to have them burstable to higher specs when/if the need arises.

I did find that Joyent has something similar and Rackspace is a VERY good competitor. I'm not sure that MS has MySQL database clusters in place for me to use though.

@kcaj said:
    You're asking on the wrong site.

Not entirely. There are people out there who run larger shops who MAY compete with AWS. Can it hurt to ask? Not at all.

• ChurchillChurchill Member
    edited May 2015

@funyuns_are_awesome said:
    GoGrid

I looked at them, they were nearly twice as expensive as rackspace. Thank you though.

• @Churchill - PM me with your specs and target pricing. I have a solution for you.

If you have an existing cloud deployment with another tier 1 cloud provider (ie not VPS called cloud); then I can try to get you on our late beta programme. You mentions AWS so this would work.

• RyanDRyanD Member

@Churchhill

We routinely compete with AWS on our cloud solutions and win. While not as overly complex and with thousands of options like AWS our solution is simplified and refined for cutomers business needs. Our Solidfire backed, pure SSD storage platform is significantly faster than even AWS' performance lines. Shoot us an email from our contact form, I'm sure our sales team could build you something pretty comprehensive with all the required levels of redundancy, performance, and scalability.

https://www.totalserversolutions.com/cloud/

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2015

While not as overly complex as I feel AWS is for the average customer, we offer very competitive resources to price compared to EC2 at DigitalOcean. I would love to discuss your needs and give you an honest answer as to whether we could meet them.

Feel free to message me if you'd like to discuss!

(Note we do not offer anything like their hosted database system, but you could run a database cluster on a set of VPS)

Thanked by 2martip07 mehargags

Churchill said: I'm not sure that MS has MySQL database clusters in place for me to use though.

I don't think MS Azure has dedicated RDS for MySQL, though of course you can get regular Linux VMs (with or without SSD) in similar sizes to AWS to run MySQL on.

RyanD said: Our Solidfire backed

Oh wow, I didn't know anyone who'd advertise on LEB would use Solidfire! That's awesome. I get a pair of free socks from them at a conference :-) But seriously, their QoS solution for SSD is very nice and one of the few truly differentiated offering in the SSD world. I see on your site that you can guarantee IOPS and that's what Solidfire allows. Kudos.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I know it is not as big as AWS, and not exactly like them, but can I suggest Scaleway. They only have 1 style of server ATM but more are coming soon. https://www.scaleway.com/

• bigcatbigcat Member
    edited May 2015

Churchill said: I want them completely hardware independent just like they are in AWS. I don't care what type of server is underneath just as long as I am able to have them burstable to higher specs when/if the need arises.

I did find that Joyent has something similar and Rackspace is a VERY good competitor. I'm not sure that MS has MySQL database clusters in place for me to use though.

I single-handedly managed cloud environment for decently sized ecommerce site. ~$10k monthly bill. And by far, with EC2 alone, I think there no close competitor except Azure.

EBS, Snapshot, Elastic IP, AMI, ELB, Scaling Group, Security Group and many more feature that lack in all other competitor. Or they just didn't manage to integrate it properly. Backup/restore is a breeze, system failure at 2AM is not a problem, undersea cable problem is not a concern. I'm automating the whole infrastructure using AWS-CLI.
    Now, I seriously pity sysadmin that don't have similar tool to manage their system.

RDS equivalent on Azure is ClearDB.

• @Jar said:

(Note we do not offer anything like their hosted database system, but you could run a database cluster on a set of VPS)

This point is a reall stickler for me. I CAN build a MySQL cluster on VM's. I don't want build, manage, or update them if I can have a company do it for me. This is the companies Disaster Recovery Site and the less work I have to do to maintain this for them the better.

@MarkTurner said:
    Churchill - PM me with your specs and target pricing. I have a solution for you.

If you have an existing cloud deployment with another tier 1 cloud provider (ie not VPS called cloud); then I can try to get you on our late beta programme. You mentions AWS so this would work.

Sounds good. Incoming PM.

Thank you all for all your help and keep the recommendations coming!

Thanked by 1jar
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

There's not that much choice if you want hosted and managed SQL. I know Terremark used to offer managed mysql hosting.

• erkinerkin Member
    edited May 2015

There are offloaded mysql options. Buyvm, vpsdime, etc. offer that. Won't that work for OP?

bigcat said: RDS equivalent on Azure is ClearDB.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about them. It's not quite as slick as EC2's is it? Is the ClearDB solution just an image or is it truly Mysql-as-a-service?

ClearDB can actually be used as a SQL offload anywhere...but I suspect the OP wants it local for speed/latency purposes rather than having every SQL go over the WAN.

• If is not AWS then the best option is Azure, you will pay for a good service.

Also remember here most of the user only works with LEBs.

Everyday I work with AWS so I can confirm it is good even for auto scaling. Also RDs and ElastiCache works perfectly fine for a service with more than 1 millon visits day.

And the best part of AWS is IAM, so you can give responsaiblities to someone about VPS orhter to DB, so you have a complete control of it with all the policies.

I worked with azure for some companies and it is really good on performance of VPS, about DB ClearDB is as good as RDS. Again VPSs in my opinion are more stable than EC2. (Is apersonal opinion).

martip07 said: Again VPSs in my opinion are more stable than EC2.

What do you mean by stable - ? Do you mean you see more node failures and your VM moves to a new node on EC2 or network or...?

• @erkin said:
    There are offloaded mysql options. Buyvm, vpsdime, etc. offer that. Won't that work for OP?

The hosted MySQL and Web Servers all need to be from one provider. I cannot split this service amongst many providers for performance reasons.

• @martip07 said:
    If is not AWS then the best option is Azure, you will pay for a good service.

Also remember here most of the user only works with LEBs.

Everyday I work with AWS so I can confirm it is good even for auto scaling. Also RDs and ElastiCache works perfectly fine for a service with more than 1 millon visits day.

And the best part of AWS is IAM, so you can give responsaiblities to someone about VPS orhter to DB, so you have a complete control of it with all the policies.

I worked with azure for some companies and it is really good on performance of VPS, about DB ClearDB is as good as RDS. Again VPSs in my opinion are more stable than EC2. (Is apersonal opinion).

This is for a Disaster Recovery site and not the primary site. I do not plan on moving away from AWS anytime soon. I'm OK with lesser performance but I need the same services that AWS provides.

• @Churchill said:
    This is for a Disaster Recovery site and not the primary site. I do not plan on moving away from AWS anytime soon. I'm OK with lesser performance but I need the same services that AWS provides.

If it is for disister again go for Azure and if you want something more cheap go for DO (Digital Ocean).

As for Disaster nothing is perfect. Remeber that if MySQL or SQL or other is down you will need to set ip up manually in other server or location.

So RDS, ClearDB or otherswill need to be done manually.

Sure you can create a script and just do a ./dbscript.sh and it will do all the magic for you.

If you are the sysadmin try to talk more about how to do create and test your disaster recovery plan.

Got some ideas from people not realted to your company is always a good idea.

• The DR documentation was done a long time ago, all that's needed now is a home for the systems that do not use or rely on AWS at all.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Churchill said:
    This point is a reall stickler for me. I CAN build a MySQL cluster on VM's. I don't want build, manage, or update them if I can have a company do it for me. This is the companies Disaster Recovery Site and the less work I have to do to maintain this for them the better.

No worries! I hope you find what you need :)

• iwStack

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
  • I'd check out Atlantic.net or Digital Ocean.

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2015

@Churchill, if you haven't found a provider yet.

We offer cloud features backed by OpenStack, such as: snapshot, custom images, detachable volume, private network, usage based billing/hour, API, etc. see full feature list at https://www.lunanode.com/features

we don't yet have RDS like service from aws; but as soon as Openstack Trove is out of testing and becomes the standard service in openstack we plan to include it. That will give our clients the ability to easily manage and provision varies databases and clusters.

• kbkkkbkk Member
    edited May 2015
  • @hbjlee17 said:
    Churchill, if you haven't found a provider yet.

We offer cloud features backed by OpenStack, such as: snapshot, custom images, detachable volume, private network, usage based billing/hour, API, etc. see full feature list at https://www.lunanode.com/features

we don't yet have RDS like service from aws; but as soon as Openstack Trove is out of testing and becomes the standard service in openstack we plan to include it. That will give our clients the ability to easily manage and provision varies databases and clusters.

I appreciate the offers but we need to move forward quickly on this. I recommended Rackspace as a solution for the business based on the fact that Rackspace has both Database As a Service (RDS) and cloud platform for low monthly costs. The scalability is a bit iffy but as long as we don't increase our disk size beyond certain levels we will be fine.

Thank you all for your solutions.