Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solution wanted: share fullsize camera images from android phone (via self hosted server )
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solution wanted: share fullsize camera images from android phone (via self hosted server )

vimalwarevimalware Member

Most of the mobile messaging apps significantly alter image size/quality upon upload and therefore affects end user experience for camera captures .

I could use email, but half my social graph no longer has email.

I'm looking for a 'share via' pathway/process/app that lets me transmit fullsized image to a server I control and returns just a public HTTP url.

Something as simple as self-hosted Imgur-ish server that has an upload pathway from an android app.

Will owncloud (app+server)work for this? (one-off uploads)
I don't want to sync entire device albums at this point.

Otherwise, this is a tempting hobby project for people like me who like self-hosting my static assets.

Comments

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited May 2015

I suggest you use PHP instead. A simple AJAX/PHP upload script should do it - just make sure the file extensions are limited to images, and executables are blocked from being uploaded.

Use this as a guide: http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_file_upload.asp

• I've looked into this. The server side is extremely simple, but as for the actual Android app (to use in the "Share via" menu) I haven't found anything like that. Not sure if it would be simple or not for someone who knows about Android app development

• M66BM66B Veteran

What should the share action do?
    Share an image URL by e-mail?

• wychwych Member
    edited May 2015

vimalware said: Will owncloud (app+server)work for this? (one-off uploads)

I think so... IIRC you can just upload set items rather than whole folders, its been a while since I used it.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited May 2015

@M66B said:

Push the original camera image to a server I control.

Output should be a simple http(s) url (Think : personal imgur)

• erkinerkin Member

@M66B said:
    Share an image URL by e-mail?

You read OP, right?

• twaintwain Member

I use Seafile for this. Not quite as seamless as your description, but it works for me.

• Have a look at Pydio, I played with it about 6 months ago and the app seemed to have a lot of integrations. I can't remember if it had a share by function but the Android is open source.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NomadNomad Member

Even Hubic app had a upload camera images option. And Copy.com's app ain't that bad. You can share files/folders on your phone and directly get the share link if you don't want to sent it to mail/whatsapp/etc.

• exussumexussum Member

Self hosted owncloud with a hubicfuse mounted folder ?

• @twain said:
    I use Seafile for this. Not quite as seamless as your description, but it works for me.

I use Seafile too, I'm very happy with it :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Pydio is a really nice solution and requires minimal setup.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Update [partial Solution]: So, I hadn't quite searched the Google Play store directly.

I found a couple of promising apps.

Auto-share is the one I liked best (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dngames.autoshare)

I can confirm that SFTP upload/share works with this app.
    (only password auth at this time; NP, i have LEB to spare/risk for this)

Gotta try the HTTP POST mode in this AutoShare when I feel like testing.

If anyone tries HTTP out first, do post results.

With SFTP share mode, One could probably run inotifywait on this leb for CREATE events and push the re-constructed Public URL back to your Device using Pushbullet API.
    (Pushbullet ROCKS!)

Thanked by 1niknar1900