Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS issues today, anyone else [BUFFALO]? - resolved
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS issues today, anyone else [BUFFALO]? - resolved

betatesterbetatester Member
edited May 2015 in Providers

No need to flame, but is anyone else having issue with CPVS today?

lost my vps @ 1am, per uptimerobot, after having over 400+ hours of uptime w/o issue and my own reboot prior to that.

and when I say lost, no access, can't boot from their panel, cant even reinstall os and rebuild.
Just an anomaly today, not my norm with them.

I'm happy w/ my CVPS VPS, just wish I was able to solve it from my end today.

Comments

• comXyzcomXyz Member

Does your VPS work when it online?

• Today? No. This year.

• It works for my minimal needs/requirements. First time issue w/ them.

simmerdown

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

betatester said: and when I say lost, no access, can't boot from their panel, cant even reinstall os and rebuild. Just an anomaly today, not my norm with them.

That is usually what you experience when a whole node is unreachable, if it was just your VPS the reinstall would have worked.

So its either a hardware problem or a network problem, neither of which you will be able to resolve yourself.

• node crashed?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Is the panel resolving slow?
    It could also be a suspension.

• Has this issue been resolved? Have they published a RFO?

• No resolution yet. They are 'working on host node issue'. Panel is resolving slow, waiting to hear if the account is suspended, but nothing from them yet.

Node crash is my vote.

• well if it were a minor crash, reboot normally work. looks like you'll have a long wait.

• To be honest, CVPS has rough spots. Those could include support, and uptime. Sorry about your VPS going down, but it's up to CVPS to fix this.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@betatester, do you have a support ticket I can look at? LET is not a great form of support and would love to look into this. We have not had any nodes down, I would have to guess its an IP null.

As for anyone else flaming or bashing CVPS, take a look at the OP. He said this is not his norm and has had great uptime. CVPS has been much better the past 6 months with improved performance. Please keep this in mind before making any further comments.

• PwnerPwner Member

@CVPS_Chris said:
    LET is not a great form of support and would love to look into this.

Nor should it be a form of support for CVP's issues.

Pwner said: Nor should it be a form of support for CVP's issues.

Im not sure if you were agreeing with me, or taking a cheap shot.

• PwnerPwner Member

@CVPS_Chris said:

A combination of both, more of the cheap shot to be brutally honest.

• This is one of the few spots I have seen user defend CVPS.

In my recent search to find a new provider, I even sent in a sales question and got an answer right back in reasonable time. But after further research I started seeing the negative reviews. The hidden whois info on the chicagovps.net is a major red flag for me. Shame they look like they offer some really good deals.

My search continues.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@nightshade said:
    This is one of the few spots I have seen user defend CVPS.

In my recent search to find a new provider, I even sent in a sales question and got an answer right back in reasonable time. But after further research I started seeing the negative reviews. The hidden whois info on the chicagovps.net is a major red flag for me. Shame they look like they offer some really good deals.

My search continues.

I have a VPS with them for more than 2 years, no problems and I use it for production

• I gave CVPS a 2nd chance in Chicago and New Jersey. Worst I'd be out is $7 next month. It's definitely the better location over Buffalo.

• betatesterbetatester Member
    edited May 2015

@CVPS_Chris
    The vps is back up. Your team did good.

• nightshadenightshade Member
    edited May 2015

Glad they got you back up!

Now the true test of of company.

How long was your downtime? Did you loose any data? Did the 99.9% Uptime Guarantee get you anytihing. Overall how well did they handle it?

• joereidjoereid Member

Their NJ location is actually really good. I have a KVM there currently with 255 days uptime.

• @betatester since your issue is resolved, perhaps you could update your thread title to reflect it?

• letmypgletmypg Member

I was affected by this as well. Woke up to an email alert that the server was not responding:
    Date/Time: 5-8-2015 02:11:30 (GMT - 6)
    Additional Information: HTTP CRITICAL HTTP/1.1 523 Origin Unreachable - 4.221 second response time.

I immediately opened a ticket as I was not able to boot the server from the control panel at 630am. I received a response that the server was back up at 7pm. Close to 12 hours of downtime at this point. I am unable to get a response as to what happened and how the server was restored. When I SSH to the server, the fingerprint is invalid and the 2FAuth is broken and will not allow me to actually login. Load website and it is an extremely outdated version, approx 1 month old before major website redesign was completed. The panel shows conflicting information, OS installed CentOS, farther down it shows Debian (Which it should be)

So at this point, over 24 hours of downtime and no foreseeable resolution. Before this I have had no major data loss and minimal downtime with CVPS. I hope support pulls through and I will update with the outcome.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2015

@letmypg said:
    I was affected by this as well. Woke up to an email alert that the server was not responding:
    Date/Time: 5-8-2015 02:11:30 (GMT - 6)
    Additional Information: HTTP CRITICAL HTTP/1.1 523 Origin Unreachable - 4.221 second response time.

I immediately opened a ticket as I was not able to boot the server from the control panel at 630am. I received a response that the server was back up at 7pm. Close to 12 hours of downtime at this point. I am unable to get a response as to what happened and how the server was restored. When I SSH to the server, the fingerprint is invalid and the 2FAuth is broken and will not allow me to actually login. Load website and it is an extremely outdated version, approx 1 month old before major website redesign was completed. The panel shows conflicting information, OS installed CentOS, farther down it shows Debian (Which it should be)

So at this point, over 24 hours of downtime and no foreseeable resolution. Before this I have had no major data loss and minimal downtime with CVPS. I hope support pulls through and I will update with the outcome.

Sounds like they restored an old backup. Drive failure?

• letmypgletmypg Member

@joepie91 said:
    Sounds like they restored an old backup. Drive failure?

That would be my guess but it would be nice to get an official response and resolution. I checked their status all day yesterday while waiting on info from support and it did(still doesnt) list and outages, issues, etc. currently ongoing or resolved. I also checked twitter, facebook, etc. and was not able to find anything yesterday. At one point support said the server would be back up within an hour which was approx. 7 hours before the server was back up in the state that it is now.

Fingers crossed, I really have not had any issues until now and it is making me rethink the 3 other VPS I have with them.

@joepie91 and @letmypg we have had no node failures or any downtime recently.

What are you seeing is a null route being put in place from upstream ( ColoCrossing ). The null is put in place if there is an abusive amount of traffic being sent over port 25.

This measure was put into place to resolve the spam going out over the network, which has been working. These long downtimes are only seen by few people that get the null put in place and are only resolved when communicating through the ticket system.

This downtime has nothing to do with the quality of ChicagoVPS, and only directly related to abuse.

Thanks

Chris

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

CVPS_Chris said: @joepie91 and @letmypg we have had no node failures or any downtime recently.

What are you seeing is a null route being put in place from upstream ( ColoCrossing ). The null is put in place if there is an abusive amount of traffic being sent over port 25.

That is not consistent with what @letmypg is describing. A nullroute doesn't result in an invalid SSH fingerprint and an old version of a website being served.

• letmypgletmypg Member

@CVPS_Chris said:
    joepie91 and letmypg we have had no node failures or any downtime recently.

Hi Chris, this VPS was not sending any spam out on port 25. I am very security conscious and have ensured the server was not compromised at any point. The server only sends emails to me regarding logs, status, etc.

Further that does not explain the incorrect fingerprint or why when logging into the site the data is way out of date.

• SpiritSpirit Member

What about to continue support related discussion in support ticket? Or maybe PM with him? Just suggestion.

• letmypgletmypg Member

@Spirit said:
    What about to continue support related discussion in support ticket? Or maybe PM with him? Just suggestion.

Hi sure no problem, I am new to posting here. I will update with the final outcome if anyone is interested. I have an active ticket open with them and am waiting on a response.

@spirit, since the OP is resolved, can we change the thread name to resolved and sink? No reason to continue on this

This discussion has been closed.