Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS-Forge is shutting down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS-Forge is shutting down

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
edited May 2015 in General

Just got this :(

Dear Customer,

It's with great sadness that I'm writing this email to you. Unfortunately in its current form VPS-Forge simply cannot continue to run and thus we are beginning the stages of shutting down the company and it's servers. This means your server will continue to function until the 20th of May 2015, at which point it will be powered off and any data lost. We have disabled all invoicing and will be contacting you shortly if you are owed a refund.

To help you back up your data we are able to create a complete dump of your server and make it available for you to download. If you require this please open a support ticket in the client panel (http://vps-forge.com/clients/).

We've had a great run over the last 5 years and we are sorry for any inconvenience this announcement may have caused you.

The VPS-Forge Team

EDIT: Where 'just' means 4 days ago... forgot to check that inbox for a while.

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

o.O shutting down after 5 years..

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Yeah, they were quite solid. I wonder what made them shut down, because I've noticed absolutely no problems. No downtime, no packet loss, no unresponsive support, etc.

In fact...

de1:~# uptime
     07:21:42 up 242 days, 11:18,  1 user,  load average: 0.06, 0.04, 0.00

Thanked by 1netomx
  • earlearl Member

Maybe @itschrisg is intrested

• comXyzcomXyz Member

I wonder why a good host is being closed? Financial problems?

• teperteper Member

Financial problems i guess

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

The market is very competitive, that is the main reason. Thus, hosts always try to reduce price to beat the competition ... only to end up not knowing what they did.

This could not be the case for vps forge, but I am just sayin'.

• Man lots of companies recently shutdown!

• rds100rds100 Member

MrRapidHost said: Man lots of companies recently shutdown!

And it isn't even autumn yet.

• infrenioninfrenion Member
    edited May 2015

With Cloud surfacing, several hosting companies now facing difficult to pay for their hardware and have to finally shut down their company if expenses are more than profits.
    The good thing about vps-forge.com is that they have atleast informed their customers in advance. We have seen companies disappearing overnight without any prior information, and their customers fuming on public forums to get their data or money back.

• @rsk said:
    The market is very competitive, that is the main reason. Thus, hosts always try to reduce price to beat the competition ... only to end up not knowing what they did.

This could not be the case for vps forge, but I am just sayin'.

I'd say it's probably that they aren't growing as much as they liked to keep it. The market is really over crowded.

• lazytlazyt Member

Too many people racing to the bottom. Add in the clients wanting Ultimate hand holding service for nothing it gets to the point of why bother.

infrenion said: With Cloud surfacing, several hosting companies now facing difficult to pay for their hardware

Err, what? That sentence didn't make any sense.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2015

joepie91 said: Err, what? That sentence didn't make any sense.

Just a guess but I think he/she means that with the pressure from (pseudo) cloud companies like DO, Vultr etc etc essentially selling at the same price point or at least an overlapping price point in many cases with a 'smoother system' it is getting harder to complete with the older master/slave/billing (solusvm+whmcs/hostbill) model, and that is very true.

I have had to do a lot of work in terms of consolidation for example over 2014 to remain competitive which put expansion on hold essentially for a year or so, that may seem like to much of an uphill struggle to many to deal with.

Shame to see them go, the truth is though take overs are messy at best, usually result in negative publicity and it is not like there is a market place for hosting related business/clients, honestly I can see why a company would close rather than sell.

edit: just read up on them a bit, looks like they are Hetzner based and have been trying to complete in the 2GB OpenVZ for $5 market for at least the last few years using first gen i7's, not trying to kick them while they are down but this now not really a surprise.

AnthonySmith said: edit: just read up on them a bit, looks like they are Hetzner based and have been trying to complete in the 2GB OpenVZ for $5 market for at least the last few years using first gen i7's, not trying to kick them while they are down but this now not really a surprise.

I don't know. I haven't seen them advertise on LowEndBox or anything like that. They've been fairly quiet overall, in fact.

• traytray Member
    edited May 2015

Hello guys,
    Yes we are shutting down after 5 great years. Everyone is sort of right as to why we are shutting down, it's a mix of all of that and more. As a result of this thread we have had many inquiries about purchasing our company, however we simply don't trust that anyone will take good enough care of it to do this so shutting down is simply the best way.

Our top uptime was about 450 days, and we regularly got a years worth on all of our servers. It's going to be a shame to turn out the lights :(

• @tray said:
    Hello guys,
    Yes we are shutting down after 5 great years. Everyone is sort of right as to why we are shutting down, it's a mix of all of that and more. As a result of this thread we have had many inquiries about purchasing our company, however we simply don't trust that anyone will take good enough care of it to do this so shutting down is simply the best way.

Our top uptime was about 450 days, and we regularly got a years worth on all of our servers. It's going to be a shame to turn out the lights :(

What was the main reason ?

@tray said:
    Hello guys,

Sucks, but understandable. Thanks for the great service throughout the years, anyway!

Thanked by 1netomx