Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No desktop allowed in Linux - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No desktop allowed in Linux

Comments

• If using Firefox is considered abuse..I give up.

(Insert a random picture here)

Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • @joepie91 said: EDIT: Oh, protip, PayPal does actually have to abide by a lot of European guidelines regarding this considering they are registered as a bank here - that means they have to give users a chance (a certain period of time) to cancel their service without being charged or experiencing negative consequences for anything as a result of TOS changes. Google does the same.

All pointless in this case, you are trying to compare companies with actual offices in the EU with one that only has a US presence so only needs to apply US law. So all the excessive EU consumer protection laws are null and void, in the US you do have some protections, but they are few in this service industry. If ninjahawk wants to change their terms, your only recourse is to make the choice to stay or go.

• I'm not a GUI user but I can imagine this is bad news for anyone that is.

There are tons of hosts out there that don't have a problem with it - maybe you need to look at what they're doing instead of suspending people or spamming LEB threads with "OPEN TICKET PLS." They're obviously doing something different that works for them.

• Lets not forget it his host but it true that it can be abused. He could just make separate node and then sell Linux desktop!

• TazTaz Member

@deagonballz2k exactly what me and nahian is working on right now. Just ordered 6 hard drive from our vendor. Hopefully by the end of this month, we will have new plan and some awesome update coming. We have also introduced some add on and whmcs integration package and we

• @Taz_NinjaHawk I feel you on this. After halting support for Windows and not providing templates for and ISOs for KVM anymore, we are cleaning up now. You wouldn't believe the amount of abuse that these customers have created over the past couple of days, let alone the garbage that we found on their servers.

I don't think that Linux Desktops are as bad as Windows, but it is unfair to customers who are on the same node and use their VPS server as it is supposed to be used - as a server. I mean why run a desktop over VNC?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@vpsnodebox I'm only one person but I can tell you why I do. I sold my laptop, I use my ipad as a primary mobile device. A quality VNC desktop bridges the gap in a tablet and a laptop for me.

• @jarland I have no problem with that when used properly, and our new 12 core E5 servers can handle it. However our Windows customers have been abusing I/O off the charts.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited October 2012
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am not using desktop on any VPS but I have been tempted to buy a huge one and keep all my tabs opened and access it when i need.
    Flash should be banned on low plans, over 512 and a few cores, no. We cannot compare server grade hw with home computers. Of course my home PC will probably barf if it had 512 ram mostly because of ancient cpu, hdd and mb, not because of the memory, but a server should cope, this is why i get a vps, because my home pc wont do the job for various reasons. I cannot afford an E5 so i get a share. As long as the ToS didnt forbid desktop before or flash, they should not start from now on.
    I admit in US it is the wild west and you can be charged for incoming calls, for example, or airtime when your phone is ringing, but the "who does not like it is free to go" attitude is not likely to win any points, even with the US customers.
    I wonder how can it be that in EU prices are similar to the US when the justification for such abuses is that they help providers/companies keep the prices down ? How come there is so much litigation there when the law allows the company to s**t the customer whenever they feel like it ?
    Tim is right the law allows it, but should we really use the law to change an agreement we had with our customers because we feel we dont make enough money out of those deals ?
    I am glad I dont live in US. Romania is suddenly looking better.
    M

• TazTaz Member

@Maounique said: Flash should be banned on low plans, over 512 and a few cores, no. We cannot compare server grade hw with home computers. Of course my home PC will probably barf if it had 512 ram mostly because of ancient cpu, hdd and mb, not because of the memory, but a server should cope, this is why i get a vps, because my home pc wont do the job for various reasons. I cannot afford an E5 so i get a share. As long as the ToS didnt forbid desktop before or flash, they should not start from now on.

Make that 30 desktop on the same node and please re-think your reply.

• edited October 2012
    Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • @Maounique The problem is that when you allow customers allot of freedom about 80% of them will abuse you (the provider) and only about 20% of them will be considerate and use their VPS servers like they are supposed to. This is what happened with our Windows customers. We caught them doing all kinds of things that they shouldn't have.
    The bottom line is that there is not one conclusion that you can draw. The big companies like AT&T, Microsoft, Apple and so on that have billions and a huge customer base will always abuse their customers, while small companies like us (5 people) are always exposed to being abused by the customer.

Thanked by 1Taz
  • @Taz_NinjaHawk Are these KVM?

• @Taz_NinjaHawk Our abusers where doing it in KVM + Windows. Windows ran fine on our nodes but they started abusing it. That and most of them failed to provide proof of owning a valid license, so we started cracking down on them.

• If you don't sell them windows licenses (SPLA) why would you allow them to install windows in the first place?

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited October 2012

@rds100 We provided our customers with ISOs and templates out of courtesy. They where the trial versions. However we just learned the hard way that when you are trying to be nice and do a good thing, most customers will take advantage of you.

• RandyRandy Member
    edited October 2012

vpsnode, you can always manually activate the license. good luck. i hope vincent chan is not after you. . ;-) he is a dick

• Lol, Your actually serious... Disallowing Gnome, Etc.. Sorry but this will not accomplish anything.

• @Randy who is vincent chan?

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited October 2012

@Randy Windows is all but gone from our servers. SPAM can't really get out. Even if some if it escapes, we catch it pretty fast.

• do watch out , its nasty and a real killer. ;-) as per my exp ;-)

• @Infinity said: Meh, turned 15 around a month ago.

Hi Uncle :D

• 15 is not uncle yet

• @Randy said: 15 is not uncle yet

eh, what. He's my uncle :(

• reverse bro

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • TazTaz Member
    edited October 2012

@Jacob said: Lol, Your actually serious... Disallowing Gnome, Etc.. Sorry but this will not accomplish anything.

Our position was the same as some of the providers here who blocks certain country on their order form because their country has higher fraud/spam/abuse rate.