Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No desktop allowed in Linux - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No desktop allowed in Linux

Comments

• @KuJoe said: they are doing this to prevent high loads on their servers, I think most clients would benefit from lower loads (CPU/disk IO) thus making it better.

That's one side of the coin. The other clients may have relied on his marketing "manage your server how you want. Be your own master." and use GUI tools to manage their VPS. And as other ISPs have posted already, it has most likely not to do with the use of GUI-tools, but with torrents. And, as far as I can see, @Taz_NinjaHawk is in process of changing his previous harsh try to cut down the use of GUI-tools and is now aiming at the real source of problems: torrents.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Even still, I do rent at dacentec with hardware raid10, so it's not mutually exclusive.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited October 2012

Herp derp, complaining yields nothing.

• TazTaz Member

@nabo said: problems: torrents.

• firefox.

Try this setup on a local/test server,

1gb ram, sata 3 on raid10.

Firefox+videoplayer/flash plugin running almost 24/7. Monitor the system for 2 weeks. You will understand our situation.

I have had couple of people looking into the system and nothing seemed out of the line.

• @zhuanyi said: what's next? No VPN? No MySQL? No JAVA?

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: To clients, Open a support ticket and we will try to work things out.

Question and answer.

edited October 2012

Banning flash is legitimate, because it's a known memory leaker.

But all graphical user interfaces in one go? Seriously?

<_<;

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • TazTaz Member

@Wintereise said: Too bad, you're gonna have to.

Because this particular move of yours is retarded to the max.

It's like cutting off one's head just because he has a headache.

Idiocy at its finest.

Cutting off GUI access isn't going to stop anyone from torrenting, what most seedbox providers run (rTorrent) is best run without one to begin with.

Quit cramming o9k people in one node and you hopefully wouldn't have this problem ;)

Not sure how you can come into your great conclusion, I have been really polite to peoples reply here but if you guys keep thinking that this is my week point, I will certainly not appreciate it.

only 13 people on that particular node with 4 server grade hard drive on a raid 10 and enough memory left over, I can not see how this is overselling. If you are mistaking me for switchvm, you are welcome.

Our TOS and AUP has clear policy in terms of resource usage and torrent. I do not understand why people are complaining when we have decided to enforce our policy which users have agreed to during signup.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@miTgiB said: Don't you love it when they complain about a slow node and you suspend their account as the abuser :)

It the same love when you're getting a ddos and the client of the target vps open a ticket to complain for the network being slow or not being able to connect to the vps.... :P

• Our TOS and AUP has clear policy in terms of resource usage and torrent. I do not understand why people are complaining when we have decided to enforce our policy which users have agreed to during signup.

Problem identified ;)

Anyway, your business, your rules - even if they're retarded ones.

• TazTaz Member

@Wintereise said: Anyway, your business, your rules - even if they're retarded ones.

Don't like it? I am more than happy to have a handful of clients who are happy with their service than the ones who will complain on everything. Unlike others who will suspend you in an instant for resource abuse, we have offered 7 days time to fix.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Liam

I also got a server with dacentec on RAID10. It's a killer deal for the money I am paying them for that configuration.

• Yes, while that's fine and all, I fail to see how running an idle xfce for running something that is GUI only (Perhaps with wine) under 1GB falls under 'resource abuse'

Because the VM I've done this in with BuyVM is sitting at 0.1 load, what a surprise - ...not.

Either way, no need for the memory I can't even use it - I'll probably cancel. It was good while it lasted.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • TazTaz Member

@Wintereise said: Yes, while that's fine and all, I fail to see how running an idle xfce for running something that is GUI only (Perhaps with wine) under 1GB falls under 'resource abuse'

Because the VM I've done this in with BuyVM is sitting at 0.1 load, what a surprise - ...not.

Either way, no need for the memory I can't even use it - I'll probably cancel. It was good while it lasted.

Sure, if you feel like not using it, you are welcome. I bet that you have't read all my reply here so far. If you have vps on katana node, firefox and flash player has already been blocked, torrents are getting huge push. Once, all the abusers get their happy ending, everything will go back to its normal pace and our help desk is going to get some rest.

@liam said: I couldn't see Raid 10 on their order forms, hence my comment.

I got my config over a skype chat :P

I've got to say... The pricing is really good and the support has been really responsive with 10 minutes responses, something that I am not used to with my other providers, where I pay times more. Anyway, I will be posting some nice offers tommorow about NC location for LET users.

edited October 2012

I use none of those softwares, so that doesn't exactly matter to me.

I will have to cancel if you start blocking xfce4 though, though, I guess using it now is against your ToS.

Or isn't it? I'm not even sure anymore, you mentioned that we're welcome to keep using them as long as 'they're not for /that/ purpose,' what might /that/ be? lol

Because as long as the node isn't thrashed, I don't even see why I can't install chrome, heh.

Ah well, we'll see.

• Doesn't OpenVZ enable capping of CPU and IO on a per VM basis? I also think this 1Gb Guaranteed, 2GB Burst/VSWap is not meaningful. I think with RAM the user should be given guaranteed, and be left to decide how much of that should work as guaranteed and how much should be some kind of pseudo swap

How about VMWare and KVM?

Perhaps you are using the wrong technology.

@liam Worth it to mail them a controller for the hp ones. We sent a P410 with 512 & BBU. Runs nicely for the price.

@jarland said: @liam Worth it to mail them a controller for the hp ones. We sent a P410 with 512 & BBU. Runs nicely for the price.

They are doing some tests and soon will be available on the order form for the 4-bay HP's :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: @nabo a part of our TOS clearly states that

TOS does not supersede law. It heavily relies on the applicable jurisdiction, as to whether you can just change terms in a contract.

• TazTaz Member

@joepie91 said: TOS does not supersede law. It heavily relies on the applicable jurisdiction, as to whether you can just change terms in a contract.

And I assume that doesn't apply to google, facebook, paypal who changes their terms on a monthly basis and then sends you an email saying you have to agree or you can't use them.

• @joepie91 said: TOS does not supersede law. It heavily relies on the applicable jurisdiction, as to whether you can just change terms in a contract.

Welcome to the USA, where it is applicable, and we are the wild west compared to the EU and some of the most excessive consumer protection laws exist.

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: And I assume that doesn't apply to google, facebook, paypal who changes their terms on a monthly basis and then sends you an email saying you have to agree or you can't use them.

What part of "heavily relies on applicable jurisdiction" did you not understand?

• TazTaz Member

@joepie91 said: did you not understand?

Re read my reply again kind sir.

• TazTaz Member

Anyhow, this thread is no longer going to get any reply from me and everyone is welcome to post their opinion. We can not please everyone, but the very few that we can, we will.

Thank you everyone for your support.

edited October 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Re read my reply again kind sir.

I did. I tell you that it heavily relies on jurisdiction (this indicates that my remark does not apply to every jurisdiction) and you make up some arbitrary ridiculous example about one jurisdiction where this is not a problem, as if that somehow invalidates my entire point.

Look in the mirror.

EDIT: Oh, protip, PayPal does actually have to abide by a lot of European guidelines regarding this considering they are registered as a bank here - that means they have to give users a chance (a certain period of time) to cancel their service without being charged or experiencing negative consequences for anything as a result of TOS changes. Google does the same.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited October 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: . I am pretty sure that running fullblown desktop, firefox and downloading torrent under 1gb ram doesn't fell under normal usage.

Actually, 1GB of ram sounds like more then you need in this case, unless you have 20+ FireFox tabs open. I'm using Debian so it's IceWeasel not FireFox, but pretty close:

http://www.sonicboxes.com/nx/nxtorrent.png

I can understand limiting torrents, at least illegal ones, but I hardly think running FireFox should constitute resource abuse. I know on many occasions I've used NoMachine to do some remote browsing when I didn't feel like the network I was on was secure. In your advertisements I would make it abundantly clear that you do not allow FireFox or Torrenting.

I don't think that a one-size fit's all rule will be a solution to your problem, if you have problems with specific customers causing high load or IO, then it would be best to address those issues with them, not banning them those applications entirely.

Psst. Don't tell Joe, but I've run a GUI + browser in his 128 Xen package before without really touching swap.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • @reread people he banned torrents and flash and firefox. Use a different lightweight browser

Thanked by 1Taz

It's surely not Firefox, it's likely flash. Flash kills. Cpulimit...solved. Never seen it kill IO though. Torrents there.

• I'm pretty sure a lot of people here knows how to evade those process bans..., isn't it possible to just change the name "firefox" to like "nginx" or something?

Thanked by 1Wintereise
  • @Chan i guess the people that are smart enough to evade process bans aren't the same people that would run Flash on a LEB.