Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

How do you guys keep track of all you vps's login data?

How do you guys keep track of all you vps's login data?

kornnflakekornnflake Member
edited October 2012 in General

I wonder how you guys keep track of all you vps's login data. Cause some users here are talking about managing >10 vps. I currently do simple save all of mine in Putty's saved sessions. Is there an app for that which for example also tracks the billing period?

Comments

When you find that perfect VPS, KEEP IT.

• @kornnflake said: Is there an app for that which for example also tracks the billing period?

Email and invoice reminders.

• I store it all in my ~/.ssh/config file

Lead Developer - HostGuard Control Panel

• wdqwdq Member

I use 1Password.

• There are several ways. One of them is to keep the passwords on your billing system. Another way, where you can also organise servers, vps etc is a mind map utility. I suggest FreeMind: http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

New VPS Offers | KVM | Germany | 70GB HD | 768MB RAM | Unmetered BW

• Public/private keys. And, the WHMCS/SolusVM/CP passwords are either in KeepassX or Lastpass.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    https://raymii.org - https://cipherli.st
    Thanked by 1rm_
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

key pair... im too lazy, i use only a key, the one in my laptop

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Use the same password for every account you have!*

*not a good idea.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
    Thanked by 3klikli Ishaq Raymii
  • RandyRandy Disabled

LOL .

i save @ notepad

• for any web designers, how do you organize your themes or icon files for later use?

I'm thinking of using a portfolio website and have a picture with the name of the item (template, logo etc) then save all of the actual files in one location.

• I just set all my passwords to "qwerty".

Ransom IT | ɹǝpun uʍop sdʌ | vps down under | AU/NZ VPS Provider | KVM in Sydney, Adelaide and Auckland | OpenVZ in Sydney and Melbourne
  • David_PDavid_P Member
    edited October 2012

@Oliver I just set all my passwords to "qwerty".

LowEndTalk Database Client 1: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty" Client 2: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty" Client 3: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty" Client 4: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty" Client 5: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty" Client 6: tried to login to user: oliver w/ pass "qwerty" LET: IDIOTS. denied

Thanked by 3Asim klikli Ishaq
  • Excel/Google Drive.

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    New York - Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
  • @David_P

If someone had tried with an uppercase O they might have got in, but I changed it after my post...

Ransom IT | ɹǝpun uʍop sdʌ | vps down under | AU/NZ VPS Provider | KVM in Sydney, Adelaide and Auckland | OpenVZ in Sydney and Melbourne
  • They use the same public key combo, I just need to remember one passphrase.

-- BOFH

Thanked by 1rm_
  • I use a unique key for each VPS with a varying passphrase.

• @kornnflake said: Is there an app for that which for example also tracks the billing period?

Random strings as passwords. Use KeyPass app to save them. Of course public keys as a way to access it if I loose that KeyPass db

I have a personal script that keeps track of what VPSes I have with which company having what resources, billing dates and even planned or current usage to help in planning. If you would be interested in it, I may release it as GPL in github or something like that. Lemme know

• @Nick_A said: Excel/Google Drive.

Same here.

Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
    Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
  • RandyRandy Disabled
    edited October 2012

how save can google drive be? notepad ftw for me ;-)

• @Randy said: how save can google drive be? notepad ftw

As safe as Randy managing Windows nodes.

Internap VPS, Web Hosting and more - Cloud Shards | Need a VPS Upgrade?
    Query Foundry, LLC AS62638
  • RandyRandy Disabled
    edited October 2012

;-). as safe as being hacked by china hackers;-)

• If someone hacks Google and steals my documents, then my hat is off to them. Note, that's not hacking my account but hacking into Google's system itself.

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    New York - Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Thanked by 1Asim
  • use public key :P

slow motion

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @Nick_A said: Excel/Google Drive.

Same here, but the password is stored at short version, for example, my real password is "ihavenoidea", then it will be stored as ihni =)

• mpkossenmpkossen Administrator

Random, very strong password for servers (root/sudo users), which is 50 characters alphanumeric and special characters, saved in a KeePass. I log in with my private key. I'm pretty save in that area ;)

Anyway, storing password in anything like an excel sheet (password protection FTW) or a plain text document seems like a really stupid idea. For some of us here it's their business that depends on it. We've all seen it go wrong. Have we all learned?

I recommend Prometeus and Vultr! | Follow @LowEndNetwork on Twitter and win a dedi!
    Check out my blog at mpkossen.com

• I use keypairs for ssh/scp, and Keepass for everything else.

• I set random long passwords which i immediately forget. Then i use ssh keys to login.

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited October 2012

There are people who leave password auth in SSH enabled? O___O WHY???

I login by password only once; then

ssh-copy-id [email protected]

then edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config as below, and restart sshd.

PasswordAuthentication no

Done, all further logins are only by the public/private key.

Try for yourself: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/ssh-public-key-based-authentication-how-to.html

• @rm_ said: WHY???

Don't underestimate lazyness :) Besides i am always a little nervous making sshd reload when i am connected over ssh.

• ZeroZero Member
    edited October 2012

Random chars password generated and saved with KeePassX.

• rm_rm_ Member

@rds100 said: making sshd reload

Not even reload, plain /etc/init.d/ssh restart never caused a problem for me, and the connected session does not break (not sure how, must be magic).

• edited October 2012

For hosts I log in very often I use public key authentication. I edited SolusVM Access Key script according to my needs and host it on my server along with my public key/md5, so it's super easy to install.

For others, I either use 1Password, or Password phrases. image

I usually go with something like bacon[hostname]vanillaliverpool kind of password phrases :D

Fusioned | KVM SSD VPS | LSI RAID10 | Netherlands 1Gbps | R1Soft | IPv4 & IPv6 | SolusVM
    Thanked by 1Chan
  • I prefer Keepass.

• Excel :)

• Notepad and stored in a true crypt hidden volume which is unmounted anytime I leave my computer. Backed up on external which is also true crypt encrypted :p

http://therealvpsreview.com Unbiased, Uninfluenced, Honest SSD VPS Reviews

• @Fusioned_George Not very useful against dictionary words based guesses though :D

• @Chan said: Not very useful against dictionary words based guesses though :D

Nah.. it will takes ages to crack until they get the right order of the right words (plus there's the hostname). It's pretty safe ;)

Fusioned | KVM SSD VPS | LSI RAID10 | Netherlands 1Gbps | R1Soft | IPv4 & IPv6 | SolusVM
  • I'm just using my Excell to save my billing info, my vps details, with each vps have their own password with 20chars

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited October 2012

I have an access database which holds data on the providers, the server specs, and hostnames, ip addresses, what it's used for, etc.

Although I do keep forgetting to update it, there's a few yearly boxes I've probably forgotten about until I get reinvoiced next year.

For anything that isn't production use, I use the same ssh key to access the server.

• GMail with 2FA. I understand that's not a good thing for production systems*.

*Wait, what production system would I have?!

Selling multiple 2000-user GApps :) Shoot me a message to make an offer.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • SecureCRT

Loading Deck - Cloud Consultants: Server Management | Consultancy | Software Development
  • Keypair authentication, with password auth via SSH turned off. Everywhere. No exceptions.

For all my other passwords (billing panel, etc.), KeePass.

Seriously, there is no valid reason not to use KeePass / KeePassX. If you're reusing passwords anywhere, install and use KeePass instead. You do not want to get burned by password reuse, trust me.

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

Thanked by 4Amfy rm_ jcaleb mpkossen
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

im new to keepass and password management. so if i install on my desktop, what if my desktop got corrupted or malfunction one day?

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• @jcaleb said: im new to keepass and password management. so if i install on my desktop, what if my desktop got corrupted or malfunction one day?

You can safely backup your KeePass database file remotely, assuming the password/keyfile you used for it is strong enough. All data is encrypted. The ideal solution imo would be a strong master password, and a backup of your KeePass database to a thumbdrive, as well as some VPS.

This takes advantage of one of the main benefits of encryption: you don't have to trust your storage/network provider :)

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • wdqwdq Member

@jcaleb I personally put my password manager's data files into my Dropbox folder which syncs and backups the data with my other computers. that way if one of my computers has issues I'll still have my passwords.

• ~/.ssh/config and email invoice reminders

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
    Thanked by 2NickM Asim
  • Before keepass or passwordmanagers I used to do this:

$ echo "mypassword+address.of.server.org" | shasum a784dab573dfa1efbfbeb0fdcfb8f8c7b1921cc5 -

My secret password, plus the domainname or the server address. Works quite well, had it in a GPG encrypted text file...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    https://raymii.org - https://cipherli.st
    Thanked by 1Asim
  • @Raymii That's pretty much exactly what I do, I even wrapped it up in a little script for convenience. Seems to work alright and I don't have to worry about keeping any files secured.

• Tatoo-ed the credentials on my P*nis

http://dot.mg - Domain name .mg