Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage/filesharing vps or site. Need suggestions.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage/filesharing vps or site. Need suggestions.

What I need is a site or vps that has 500gb-1tb storage. Max needed BW 500gb . Right now we have tried Mediafire, but we got god awful upload speed to it. So I'm here looking for suggestions. Should I go with storage vps or should I use a filesharing site. It will be used only for storing game demos (CS:GO). File size will be around 300mb file(can be compressed to 70mb). It needs to have ability to use ftp to get files, or se can upload from our box to the site, and get file link back. Hope it wasn't too confusing.

Comments

• lothmaklothmak Member

Won't a vps be an overkill?

We offer VPS plans but if it's only going to be used for sharing you could probably do better with the cloud storage plan or a standard cloud service (see the banners on the right side of the site).

As for us, we have some storage plans running from 2.50 m/o with no limit of sharing if you're interested. Top at 100gb space and you can add on extra space if needed; FTP compatible. You could buy more as you go.

http://shop.ogrehosting.com/email/online-storage.aspx?ci=1796&prog_id=510793

If you still want the VPS ours run at a higher quality server than most "budget" VPS's (that's why I sent you to the banners) so our most economic package is $30 a month in case you want to check them out.

• What about S3 storage - then you can give out an http: link to downloaders.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

get storage vps or kimsufi.

I am tired of crappy cloud solutions so hats what I did.

• @4n0nx - what cloud solutions did you try?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

MarkTurner said: @4n0nx - what cloud solutions did you try?

Everything. Rapidshare killed itself. Mega was shut down. Upload speed to Mediafire sux. Dropbox hired condolezza rice. Then about 10 "backup your hard drive" services that all had terrible speeds and/or clients and/or limits (4GB max file size, only Windows client, etc.). Storage VPS or spideroak cost too much money. Hate not having easy access to files with all sorts of programs (e.g. share file over torrent/http/sftp with friend),too.

Have moved on from Kimsufi as well, as it only has 1 hard drive that died and support is terrible. Then this Hetzner "reseller" died and took all money with them (I am sure everyone has seen the thread here).

Sick of switching from one provider to another. Testing a server bought directly from Hetzner and will probably stick with it. It would be a great price,too, if I needed the whole 3TB storage.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

Wouldn't a Backupsy work?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

k0nsl said: Wouldn't a Backupsy work?

pfft $40 for a TB, could just get Hetzner server then with 32gb ram 3tb hdd

• k0nslk0nsl Member

You forgot the 40% off. But yeah, I suppose a dedicated server would be the ideal choice - if the price is good.

@4n0nx said:
    pfft $40 for a TB, could just get Hetzner server then with 32gb ram 3tb hdd

• NomadNomad Member

Most storage solutions are way too expensive. If your data is not critically important, go with a KS-2.

If it's over 1-2 TB and you want a good couple and more data as well, Hetzner or even Wholesale Internet and some such cheap server providers.

• 4n0nx said: Hetzner "reseller" died

Who was the reseller? I missed that one.

• NomadNomad Member

@MarkTurner said:

Uniwebhosting.
    Which were a serbian "company" who nobody ever heard of before and they sold Hetzner services cheaper than Hetzner with supposedly more features and they wanted payments to be yearly.

Surprisingly they conned a lot of people.

• lothmaklothmak Member

I remember that. Wasn't that the site that even changed their address to try and cover up? Some users weren't even getting the advertised plans and even after the negative feedback some users were still using them to only post their experience a few days later.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

k0nsl said: You forgot the 40% off.

oh soz. somehow I can't see 40% off anywhere o.O

and yes that was the "reseller"

• oalarooalaro Member
    edited May 2015

Nomad said: go with a KS-2.

Totally forgot about kimsufi. I think, I'll buy that one.

lothmak said: Won't a vps be an overkill?

Well it would be pricier, but it will always have better performance.

• HadrielHadriel Member

I have found storage in general to be difficult to get. I started with KS-2/3 and moved to SYS BK1. I can see that in the near future I need more space but almost every provider out there has equipment that I can't run Windows on. They give you 3tb or 4tb drives and they are not able to boot from the main disk.

I see providers offering 8TB for $50 but then they sell the exact same system with smaller drives for more $$ per TB. So like $8 per TB instead of the other $6. They also charge higher add on fees for say an extra 4TB drive where getting a second system is cheaper.

I really haven't found a good solution once you need more than 8TB of storage and in my case also need Windows without paying through the nose.

Waiting for sys BK2 is wearing as well.

• k0nslk0nsl Member

@4n0nx said:
    oh soz. somehow I can't see 40% off anywhere o.O

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • desperanddesperand Member
    edited May 2015

No one mentioned RunAbove.

They have very attractive offers.

Registration Link

• How many game demos does CS:GO have that means you need 500-1000GB? o.O

Unless I misunderstood and CS:GO was just an example of one demo.

• That's an affiliate link for desperand- everyone can also go to runabove.com

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member

@desperand said:

No one mentioned RunAbove.

They have very attractive offers.

Registration Link

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But we have to pay, just for bandwidth and storage, right? Storage is quite attractive, but bandwidth is......

I mean, if I about to use 30TB per month, it is $300 bill of bandwidth alone, right?

• NomadNomad Member

@sirmbhe said:
    I mean, if I about to use 30TB per month, it is $300 bill of bandwidth alone, right?

You can store. But don't you dare download those!

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • sirmbhesirmbhe Member

@Nomad said:
    You can store. But don't you dare download those!

Oh GOD!

• Have you looked at Mega Pro? https://mega.co.nz/#pro

• oalarooalaro Member

hostnoob said: How many game demos does CS:GO have that means you need 500-1000GB? o.O

Unless I misunderstood and CS:GO was just an example of one demo.

After every game there file saved. With that file you can watch back entire game you played an also you can watch ohters(if they cheat). In 2 months we are nearing 2000 game mark. So that would be alot of demos and needed storage.

desperand said: No one mentioned RunAbove.

Acutally runabove would fit me perfectly, since download BW would only be near 100gb at first.

funyuns_are_awesome said: Have you looked at Mega Pro? https://mega.co.nz/#pro

I looked at mega, but it seems it's more focused on sharing part not storage.

So far I've got 2 very good testing subjects. Thanks LET

• ehabehab Member

i have been itching for this ZXPlay http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1019010 didn't get one yet maybe it helps and @AshleyUk does answer questions.

• MEGA is alive... mega.co.nz... server is in DE

Or try a Kimsufi or Hetzner, and use Seafile

• @oalaro said:

Oh I thought you meant playable game demos. nvm then.

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited May 2015

@sirmbhe said:

Last time I checked that is true. You also pay for the bandwidth between the storage object and the compute container. So you get charged double bandwidth.

https://community.runabove.com/share/topic/how-is-bandwidth-charged

• We have this offer:

KVM 500GB $7/month

• enfieldenfield Member

mega.co.nz