Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Install Windows7 on your VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Install Windows7 on your VPS

getvpsgetvps Member
edited April 2015 in Tutorials

http://getvps.ninja/2015/04/how-to-install-windows7-vps/ , have fun!
ASK YOUR PROVIDER BEFORE USING "NON-SERVER" versions of WINDOWS

Comments

• you cannot run windows 7 on a vps. its simply not allowed that's why MS has Windows Server

• Not allowed by who/why? You can :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

getvps said: You can

Don't confuse "can" with "allowed". Windows 7 EULA doesn't allow to install on a VM

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited April 2015

If you're gonna use affiliate links, be honest. Don't use bit.ly to hide it.

Besides, it's easier to just follow these steps.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/560033/#Comment_560033

• I dont know exactly if is true, but i asked before creating this tutorial support at vultr , where is created test and response was:
    "Please follow the guide in the link below in order to install Windows on our VPS. Yes, as long as you don't use illegal software it should be ok." , so on vultr will save you the support team =) , if something goes wrong ..

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

So basically find a host that allows you to use your own iso is the tl;dr of that blog post with an affiliate link in the middle of it for vultr.

not sure how vultr would feel about this but I suppose they dont care if they are not complicit in breaking MS license terms.

• hostnoob, yes , i write some articles for affiliate , but nobody register and now i like this blog.. so , i continue :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

getvps said: as long as you don't use illegal software it should be ok

Well it is illegal to virtualize windows 7 so its on you really.

• AnthonySmith, they suspend you if you use cracked versions..I dont know how works license on MS S**T , but if i pay for it they tell me where to use it too? :)

• getvps said: Not allowed by who/why? You can :)

Microsoft. the owner of the software

• OK, ASK YOUR PROVIDER BEFORE USING "NON-SERVER" versions of WINDOWS

• getvps said: AnthonySmith, they suspend you if you use cracked versions..I dont know how works license on MS S**T , but if i pay for it they tell me where to use it too? :)

no difference. both violate MS Terms/EULA you are comiting a crime

• And on dedicated servers as primary os, everything is legal? or still is not PC from my room to install my licensed windows7?

• Lalalalaalalaaaaa

• lol joodle, nice tutorial =)

• getvps said: And on dedicated servers as primary os, everything is legal? or still is not PC from my room to install my licensed windows7?

Nope. it's the same for all. windows 7 is simply not allowed on VPS, dedi servers. Windows server 2008 R2 is dirt cheap these days anyway. and you can even get it free in some cases.

@joodle we all know u dont care. you are a proven thief (if i recall you previously ripped peoples websites/templates)

• getvps said: lol joodle, nice tutorial =)

never take advice from a thief!

• Tar, thanks for your advices. I hate new windows (8 style) design , and in this test for me win7 running faster as Remote Desktop.

• getvpsgetvps Member
    edited April 2015

Now, little trial text from support!
    Me: "I can use any versions of windows on my vps? xp/vista/7/2008/2012? "
    Support: "You should be able to use any version of Windows which is compatible with the VirtIO drivers. I would recommend not using XP, as it is out of support."
    So, if provider not suspending you.. i guess bill gates not comes to remove some network cables from your server =) , Anyway, in legal way you are right..!

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited April 2015

getvps said: Tar, thanks for your advices. I hate new windows (8 style) design , and in this test for me win7 running faster as Remote Desktop.

Windows server 2008 R2 would probably be faster (download the trial and try it) it comes without the desktop (aero and runs standard classic) which appears faster. but i use Windows Server 2012 R2 on all my nodes now

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

Closing this to let it drown it its own cess pool.

This discussion has been closed.