Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Most annoying thing you discover after signing up with a new host

Most annoying thing you discover after signing up with a new host

bobbybobby Member
edited September 2012 in General

For me, its 1) Bad templates (ovz); missing +s on su binary, and i discover it too late and have to reinstall 2) Geo locates somewhere else

Comments

• The support speaks only Indian.

Disclosure: I work for Query Foundry LLC.
    I own DA International Group Ltd.
    Thanked by 2Infinity Legendlink
  • NexusNexus Member
    edited September 2012

xt_connlimit xt_conntrack xt_state

usually these are disabled on the openVZ :( I usually ask the host before I sign up now :P

Might be the sign of me going to KVM? :D

@Alex_LiquidHost

LOL

D4jsp - Where virgins roam free
  • @Alex_LiquidHost said: The support speaks only Indian.

And is a 15 year old Indian.

HURR I MADE A DEWLANCE REFERENCE C:

Shane Elmore | Programmer In Progress

• All packets in apt are marked as manual-installed.

1. Immediately they announced a server migration after my payment and receiving the service details.
    2. Immediately they announced an issues with the node after my payment
    3. Lag and very-very bad IO, less than 1mb/s
    4. Bad OS templates, so I have to spend my whole time for fixing their template, updating the repo list, and finally sent a Ticket but they said it's okay, so I just cancel it after 1 week. And sadly I'm just wasting my money because they don't give any refund.
    5. Ticket is not answered, compared to the first time when I open a Ticket asking about sales related. Even if it's answered, it took 1 week.
    6. Suspending me with the reason of abusing the node. For Windows provider, it's because I turn on the Automatic Update.
    7. Node rebooted daily
    8. Network problem everyday
    My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • I wake up to 100's of emails from my monitoring script over a single VPS.

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • Desktop processors. Bad I/O

• JarJar Member
    edited September 2012

Excessive limitation to CPU access. I'm barely going to use it, but every now & then I need a core to get going. Hasn't happened often, but it has happened.

• SpiritSpirit Administrator
    edited September 2012

@ErawanArifNugroho said: Immediately they announced a server migration after my payment and receiving the service details.

lol :)

This is a notification for an upcoming server migration which will take place between September 22, 2012 - 0500 AM (GMT -0400) September 22, 2012 - 0700 AM (GMT -0400) and will affect your service with us. ...Another important part of this migration will be IP changes.

...after my payment and receiving the service details!

One of the things I dislike the most with new host is that they aren't honest in pre-sale answer and after I order service they delay with false promises in every support ticket replay.

• JarJar Member
    edited September 2012

@Spirit said: One of the things I dislike the most with new host is that they aren't honest in pre-sale answer and after I order service they delay with false promises in every support ticket replay.

I don't get why people think dishonesty gets them anywhere in this particular market.

• Hehe, forgot a few things i agree with :)

@jarland said: I don't get why people think dishonesty gets them anywhere.

May I request few IPv6 addresses? (as promised in pre-sale answer)

1. So should I connect 4 IPv6 addresses to your VPS? Let me know,

2. IPV6 will be available on your VPS in a few hours.

3. It will be available from tomorrow.

4. When I hear more from my collegue I'll let you know.

5. "This is a notification to let you know that we are changing the status of your ticket #963848 to Closed as we have not received a response from you in over 48 hours."

6. I'm sorry. I thought my collegue Jordi already assigned this for you. I will personally update you when we have added 4 IPV6 addresses to your account.

And now... two months later still no IPv6 :) 0f course I don't have plan to stay with this host once my payment expire.

• @Spirit said: May I request few IPv6 addresses

How about a nice warm cup of he.net tunnel tutorials?

@bobby said: How about a nice warm cup of he.net tunnel tutorials?

Completely irrelevant.

• @Spirit said: And now... two months later still no IPv6 :)

Do you happen to be hosted in Dallas?

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    New York - Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    edited September 2012

@Nick_A said: Do you happen to be hosted in Dallas?

Naah, it's vps provider with huge LET thread from some month and half ago hosted at SERVERIUS .nl DC ;-) I didn't want to complain about IPv6 and/or this host here but about annoying incapability of some hosts to be straight and tell the truth.

• @Spirit said: Completely irrelevant.

Wasn't a go at you, but "ipv6 provider" :)

Thanked by 1Spirit
    edited September 2012

@bobby said: Wasn't a go at you, but "ipv6 provider" :)

Misunderstanding (as I use HE anyway) from my side. I am sorry for that :) And yes, you're most likely right - their DC is IPv6 ready and my thought is also that vps provider simply don't know how to set up v6 so they keep lying and delaying.

1. Their control panel looks amazing from the login page, but when you login.. meh @BuyVM.
    2. When they are foreign and only answer one question even if I asked two.
    3. When their overhyped..when it isn't all that great.. including support, servers, location, blehbadiabooda.
  • Cloudflare offers free ipv6 tunnel

• When the disk is slower than the network... like what's happening on our old node right now; somebody seems intent on running disk benchmarks 24/7 or something - we're getting 50MB/s disk and 90MB/s network :L

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• @SimpleNode said: When the disk is slower than the network... like what's happening on our old node right now; somebody seems intent on running disk benchmarks 24/7 or something - we're getting 50MB/s disk and 90MB/s network :L

Solution seems simple. Reduce your network speed by asking him to run network benchmarks as well.

Thanked by 2eastonch lbft
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

-- BOFH

• @SimpleNode said: When the disk is slower than the network... like what's happening on our old node right now; somebody seems intent on running disk benchmarks 24/7 or something - we're getting 50MB/s disk and 90MB/s network :L

Check those using high CPU.

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    New York - Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
  • Checked IOTop, I think it's like 4 FIO processes

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• TazTaz Disabled

Simple node, you ain't the only one.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• @SimpleNode said: somebody seems intent on running disk benchmarks 24/7 or something

why not kick him out

• support staffs were outsourced and it took 24 hours for the issue to be escalated to a person who has better access to the server :|

• PatsPats Member
    edited September 2012

the most annoying thing these days is... now what to do with this new LEB ?? :P

on the other side, - its mostly the bad OS Templates - have to fix many things manually - support answer once in 24hrs if its flagged urgent. if normal then...

• rm_rm_ Member
    edited September 2012

1) no rDNS in the control panel, only via ticket (that's a common one) 2) TUN/TAP unavailable, okay, they turn it on, after the node reboots for some reason, it's not available again! Need a ticket again, they promise "sir, this is fixed now", but the hell it is, the next reboot it disappears again, post a ticket again, the assurances it's "finally fixed" repeat. And this goes on until you lose patience with this provider or with trying to use TUN/TAP on their VPS. (hello Citynethost, was it 7 or 8 times you "fixed" this for me?) 3) IPv6 despite being advertised is actually not available, but "will be tomorrow/next week/month" (as Spirit described very well) 4) ...or IPv6 is supposedly assigned but does not work properly, and they spend weeks figuring out what's wrong, with various lying answers in tickets. (hello Hostrail!)

There's a lot of stuff like this that can be annoying, so I never pay yearly anymore. Rather than having to put up with their b/s, it's so nice to be able to just pack up and leave the next month if the service totally sucks in some aspect.

Thanked by 1Garrett
  • Cannot agree with @David_P enough. I was so disappointed when I actually got the test out Stallion.

THE LOGIN PAGE WAS A LIE

~ Jimmy VortexUnit. Who likes poptart.cats?
  • TazTaz Disabled
    edited September 2012

@Pats said: support answer once in 24hrs if its flagged urgent. if normal then...

1 out of 99999 host around here would care about that flag. They all are same for most of us. First in first serve. Unless it has been flagged internally.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• my most annoying is my vps is down almost every week and it's not automatically started. so i can't put anything a little bit serious there because you have to monitor if your vps is up all the time, and restart it yourself when its down.

• @rm_ Thats.. exactly what I was going to say. Are you me from the future by any chance?

• arieonlinearieonline Member
    edited September 2012

2) TUN/TAP unavailable, okay, they turn it on, after the node reboots for some reason, it's not available again! Need a ticket again, they promise "sir, this is fixed now", but the hell it is, the next reboot it disappears again, post a ticket again, the assurances it's "finally fixed" repeat. And this goes on until you lose patience with this provider or with trying to use TUN/TAP on their VPS. (hello Citynethost, was it 7 or 8 times you "fixed" this for me?)

this happen on one of my vps, today the node restarted and my tun/tap working again after ticket sent... i thinks it's twice on this September

• @Shane_Elmore said: And is a 15 year old Indian.

HURR I MADE A DEWLANCE REFERENCE C:

We're a Established Hosting Company and we don't have a broken templates.

• Our OS Installation is Automated, Pre-Configured and up-to-date.
    Cheap $9/Year Hosting - Cheap Windows VPS & Linux Xen VPS at affordable price. FlameTix.com - cPanel/SolusVM/CloudLinux License - BTC/PM
  • justinbjustinb Member
    edited September 2012

@DewlanceVPS said: HURR I MADE A DEWLANCE REFERENCE C:

You can't even click quote properly much less run a host

Postgres

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • @justinb: I am on mobile.

Cheap $9/Year Hosting - Cheap Windows VPS & Linux Xen VPS at affordable price. FlameTix.com - cPanel/SolusVM/CloudLinux License - BTC/PM
  • on a less serious note, that... another guy posts an offer that's actually miles better than what you just bought hours ago, lol

OneAsiaHost Singapore based VPS
  • @DewlanceVPS why are you still here...

• @lele0108 said: Cannot agree with @David_P enough. I was so disappointed when I actually got the test out Stallion.

THE LOGIN PAGE WAS A LIE

For now :)

Nikki is aiming for a public beta sometime in November. She's starting private beta's in the coming week or so.

V2 has supports for mobile phones as well as tablets built in. There is still some changes I want to put in related to navigation but it's looking great so far :)

Francisco

BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based / TUN, PPTP, FUSE, SIT & GRE Enabled! / Stallion Control Panel
    Thanked by 2David_P jamson
    • No rDNS
    • I have no use for them

Juan

• Annoying thing is facing the invoice and realize that I need to pay... Anyone agree? :p

"I Always Happy ! The Secret Is, When Something Bad Happens, I Always Yell : Eeee... Macarena !!" :D

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • Nah, it's more annoyng to watch an already paid invoice and ask yourself "why the hell did i pay this".

• Nah, it's getting the WHMCS / SolusVM VPS activated EMail with the CP credentials, logging in and staring at the list of templates....

Once I'm done choosing some weird and obscure distribution (I love hosts who offer these!), I log in and stare at the terminal. My dodgy internet causes the SSH session to time out, so I re-login.

I realise that I have nothing to do, and that I just wasted money, so I just go "F*** this. You are backup VPS #473". And that's why I have so many backups ;)

It's also fun to look through my emails, trying to find a specific one and come across the activation email for a VPS that I paid for 1 year a few months back, and trying to log in... then googling the provider's name and realising that they've deadpooled.

• @rds100 said: Nah, it's more annoyng to watch an already paid invoice and ask yourself "why the hell did i pay this".

And even worse is to look at the payed invoice and ask yourself when will you receive the service if ever... M

Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my drive A: ?

• One of my pet peeves is non-automatic payments via CC or Paypal. I hate nothing more than having to pay invoices manually.

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.