Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SingleHop - Weird stance on IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SingleHop - Weird stance on IPv6

Asked SingleHop when (if at all) they planned to implement IPv6.

If you could help provide a justification then it would help us get it prioritized. What I really need is a usecase that is not obtainable via IPv4.

Can anybody think of a good case?

Comments

• Using IPv6, simple as that...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Because it's 2015.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Wow thats super surprising from such a large provider

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

tell them you want to test cpanel ipv6 functionality :P

• NomadNomad Member

How about providing nat/ipv4 VPN clients with ipv6 by distributing your ipv6 subnet to a lot of clients in order to let them have access to ipv6 world.

Or... You can always say since IPv4 pools are depleting you need to make sure everything is ready for IPv6 beforehand and you develop application that will use lots of ipv6 space so you need it urgent before the end is here. :P

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Maybe they have a nice stash of IPv4.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2015

After all this time IPv6 is still, at best, complimenting IPv4. Implementing it is mostly about preparing for the future, a future that everyone keeps predicting is months away and yet...no one who needs IPv4 is really having a problem getting it one way or another, and no one is saying "Sorry you need IPv6 to access our infrastructure."

Quite simply, it is extremely apparent that IPv6 will not be absolutely necessary until people are desperate, a state which people are repeatedly failing to predict with any accuracy. We still have a ways to go before people stop getting their hands on IPv4 and the only way to expand becomes IPv6 only. People will be rushing to implement it then.

Honestly I don't see a need to obsess over it unless you're having trouble getting IPv4 space or hitting up against things you need IPv6 to do. If you can't answer their question it kind of reinforces their point. If they have trouble giving you IPv4 when you need it, you'll have your answer for them in a way that they'll understand.

Thanked by 3MikePT deadbeef Pwner
  • tommytommy Member

kcaj said: Can anybody think of a good case?

No, because (maybe) most of their user don't need IPv6, or atleast don't have native IPv6 from their ISP. so why bother deploy something that not really important atm?

some people really want to have IPv6 on their server because they want to look cool/nerd :D or because that's the future ;)

• And once it gets below X%, ARIN will start auditing ranges (plenty of hoarders out there), etc.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

telephone said: And once it gets below X%, ARIN will start auditing ranges (plenty of hoarders out there), etc.

No, they won't. It is not within ARIN's authority to audit how a company is using resources. They only require justification for requesting additional resources, and in that process they only look at your last allocation. Their only recourse is to deny issuing additional resources, which won't matter when they are no more IPv4 addresses to assign in the free pool.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited April 2015

qps said: No, they won't. It is not within ARIN's authority to audit how a company is using resources. They only require justification for requesting additional resources, and in that process they only look at your last allocation. Their only recourse is to deny issuing additional resources, which won't matter when they are no more IPv4 addresses to assign in the free pool.

Rules and regulations change. In my opinion, once ARIN is 99.999% exhausted, I can see new measures being implemented.

Who knows, other Institutions or Organisations may donate their /8 blocks like Stanford did.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • qpsqps Member, Host Rep

telephone said: Rules and regulations change. In my opinion, once ARIN is 99.999% exhausted, I can see new measures being implemented.

Unlikely. It would go to a vote and I see that as unlikely to pass. It would put a large administrative burden on resource holders to have to constantly justify their utilization of resources to ARIN.

telephone said: Who knows, other Institutions or Organisations may donate their /8 blocks like Stanford did.

Also unlikely. Now that we're closer to IPv4 exhaustion, organizations that hold pre-ARIN IPv4 resources are selling them and getting a lot of money in return. Even if an organization returned pre-ARIN resources, per IANA policy, ARIN has to give those back to IANA and they are divided amongst the RIRs, so the net effect to ARIN would only be one-fifth of the returned resources.

Even ARIN IPv4 resources are being sold simply for the value of the ARIN resources, although justification is required in those transfer instances which can make those transactions slightly less valuable than the pre-ARIN resources.

Thanked by 1telephone
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

How long before they start assigning those Class E addresses?

I know, highly unlikely, it would break lots of stuff, will never happen...but...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • tommytommy Member

in theory yes (we need move to IPv6), but in reality no (not yet) thousand of home router don't have IPv6 capability, atleast here in Indonesia.

• DalekOfSkaroDalekOfSkaro Member
    edited April 2015

I find it hard to imagine how SingleHope will response like this considering they already have IPv6 Subnets announced ( http://bgp.he.net/AS32475#prefixes6 ) which leads me to believe that they _should be able to provide you with an IPv6 Subnet.

ARIN does not require justification for IPv6 (yet), therefore I find it unusual that your SingleHop wants you to use IPv4 instead.

Well, I wish you the best of luck obtaining a subnet from them.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

this is from 2010... maybe they're still testing ;)

• It appears that my ISP started blocking IPv6 a while ago. Not sure why they stopped. They were surprised when I called them about it. At least they had heard of it, but I got the impression they didn't know how to fix it.

• BruceBruce Member

IoT will drive IPV6 from being an odd choice into a must have. Ipv4 cannot support the vast number of devices being connected.

Currently most m2m devices are using NAT. That won't continue for much longer as the need for connectivity into the cloud means NAT is a clumsy solution.

Traditional hosting providers can ignore IPV6. They will just be overtaken by others who do support it

Also as soon as IPV6 can be used as easily as v4. The price premium for a v4 ip will become unsustainable

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

It appears that my ISP started blocking IPv6 a while ago. Not sure why they stopped. They were surprised when I called them about it. At least they had heard of it, but I got the impression they didn't know how to fix it.

What is the actual problem? They "started blocking" and then "stopped"? Did they provide native IPv6 in the first place, or it's just that you can no longer use an IPv6 tunnel. In other words your post makes little sense and no wonder ISPs support couldn't figure out what you want either.

• @rm_ They changed their setup and I can no longer ping or browse IPv6 sites. What doesn't make sense?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Ole_Juul said: They changed their setup and I can no longer ping or browse IPv6 sites.

That you may have been able to before, doesn't mean they provided you native IPv6 in the first place. One possible explanation is that you were using automated 6to4 tunneling mechanism present in Windows or in whatever router that you use, but then the ISP put you behind a CGNAT (and 6to4 can't work behind that).

• I'm using BSD with a dual stack. I set up 6 to 4 Anycast on the router (Tomato Shibby AIO) and it worked fine for a long time. I'm not up on CGNAT (just looking it up now), but I think that's what they've been using all along since this is rural wireless with lots of accounts on the same IP. In fact, I think you nailed it. They had given me a dedicated IP a long time ago and it looks like they put me back in the "pool". (Perhaps by mistake.) That is probably what happened then. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

• vfuse said:

this is from 2010... maybe they're still testing ;)

Mandatory Soon™

• Perhaps they have not seen enough customer demand so far, to justify implementing it.
    If you are a customer you can cancel your service and tell them that you canceled because they didn't have IPv6. If enough people cancel with this reason maybe this will ring some bells for them and they will have an incentive to start offering IPv6.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2015

The problem is multifaceted, America in general does not care, he and cogent hate each other meaning ipv6 is essentially broken anyway and there is absolutely no incentive to switch.

Its like coming up with a new fuel that gives 10x more MPG than regular fuel but is not compatible with regular engines and then expecting the car manufacturers to foot the bill to change, some will some wont, most wont until is is financially viable to do so.

The problem with IPv6 was there was no planned transition, and no in between stage and no incentive.

@kjac you cant really justify it and they likely know that.

Thanked by 1jar
  • UrDNUrDN Member

They should have answered something like "why would we connect our machines to the Internet".

• Tell them you have a custom sales application hard coded only to use IPV6 addressing between a VPS and your back office servers which are IPV6 only networks.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

rajprakash said: Tell them you have a custom sales application hard coded only to use IPV6 addressing between a VPS and your back office servers which are IPV6 only networks.

That is not really an answer though, you could do the same with ip4, they have worded it so there is no answer, there is nothing you can say that cannot be answered with "you can do that with IPv4"

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Well, I wasn't expecting that reply from SingleHop. Providing IPv6 is a plus, win-win situation for them. If they were testing it back in 2010, why don' they simply provide it to their customers?

I'm guessing that their test didn't go well.