Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KeyCDN: introducing cap on freely hosted zones
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KeyCDN: introducing cap on freely hosted zones

The below message from KeyCDN makes me think it will soon be time to leave them:

Dear KeyCDN customer

We'd like to inform you about a small change in our pricing. You
currently have more than 5 zones active in your KeyCDN account. Starting
at the end of April, 5 zones will be free of charge, all other zones
will be $1/month. This will be charged on a monthly basis. We understand
that this sounds inconvenient but for most customers this will only have
a minor impact on the total cost.

This change is required to continue the growth of our platform and being
able to provide you the best global traffic price.

Happy content delivery!
Your KeyCDN Team

Obviously, they are not happy with their users' balances depleting too slowly.

CDN77, some time ago, declared the users' balances non-expiring. However, that suddenly was changed. So much for promises...

Let's see when KeyCDN starts the same path. At the moment, balances are not expiring (their "zones tax" mentioned in the message above is quite a witty way to take more money just for nothing).

So, if you plan to use their services, be warned. Personally, I stop recommending their services (which are, from technical viewpoint, quite reliable and stable).

Sigh.

Comments

• I wanted to try them out! Dam! :( but probably still might give it a shot.

• DeanDean Member

Damn...

• That's.. annoying, but I understand where they're coming from.

They're still quite a bit cheaper than others though, like if you compare to someone like MaxCDN: They charge $9/mo for 100GB + 2 zones. With KeyCDN that would cost you.. $4.

What I would've done/recommended they do is charge $1/mo but include the bandwidth with that. So to add a 6th, 7th, etc zone - you pay a minimum of $1/mo which would include a new zone & 25GB bandwidth. This way they still get you burning through your balance, but it doesn't feel like a random new double billing, just a required minimum.

Also: the obvious workaround to this is just creating a 2nd KeyCDN account. I have one for the business, one personal - at the moment - if I needed more than 10 zones I can just create another and fund that too..

• @mikeyur said:
    That's.. annoying, but I understand where they're coming from.

Indeed. Low price, good quality - they collected many low-traffic users and now wish to aim more perspective ones, those who spend much and bring more profit.

Also: the obvious workaround to this is just creating a 2nd KeyCDN account. I have one for the business, one personal - at the moment - if I needed more than 10 zones I can just create another and fund that too..

After they introduced the cap, I think it will be a matter of days when they add rule forbidding having multiple accounts. Of course, that can also be circumvented, but if I transfer "extra" zones to another account, that will be too obvious to get noticed.

• rokokrokok Member

im on trial mode, lets hope my site traffic not big lol

100GB for $4/mo is not that bad

• rokokrokok Member

There is credits expiration 1 year, shit