Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

xCache madness
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

xCache madness

GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
edited September 2012 in General

So today I did something crazy.

xcache.cacher On xcache.count 1 xcache.gc_interval 0 xcache.shm_scheme mmap xcache.size 2048M xcache.slots 0 xcache.stat On xcache.test Off xcache.ttl 0 xcache.var_count 5 xcache.var_gc_interval 0 xcache.var_maxttl 0 xcache.var_size 1024M xcache.var_slots 0 xcache.var_ttl 0

It consumed around 8GB of RAM and only 0.03 server load! (originally consuming 300MB~ RAM and around 0.13 server load)
IPB main page executed at 0.0389s, originally 0.1s~0.15s.

@Boltersdriveer Aha, that proves that I'm not wasting resources.

Do you guys use PHP caching? What PHP caching software do you use and why?

Comments

• IPB is a terrible software in the first place...

Thanked by 2giang djvdorp
  • GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited September 2012

@Boltersdriveer said: IPB is a terrible software in the first place...

ik
    that's why I'm developing my own forum board

• APC works well for me, will support php 6 as well. I recommend it. The differences between performance benchmarks between others are so small, it's barely even noticeable...

@Boltersdriveer totally agre, IPB went to shit after 2.0

• @GIANT_CRAB said: that's why I'm developing my own forum board

That's so unnecessary with all the good, open source boards laying around. Try FluxBB, for example.

Thanked by 3Infinity Nexus djvdorp
  • I second FluxBB, it's a great board. I personally have no problem w/ IPB and vB so I don't quite understand the hate for them. I've had licenses for both in the past, and they're great boards. They were able to handle 1,600+ people online no problem after server optimizations.

I personally use APC, but tested xCache 2.0 when it was wasn't considered a stable release and it was quite fast. I don't understand how you're getting it to consume 8gb of ram though?

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited September 2012

@Kairus said: I don't understand how you're getting it to consume 8gb of ram though?

I configured it.
    Look at first post's configuration.

• @GIANT_CRAB said: Do you guys use PHP caching? What PHP caching software do you use and why?

Anyone using PHP should have opcode cacher installed i.e Xcache or APC Cache, reduces cpu load like you experienced :)

APC Cache saving PHP 7,500 cache hits/sec + 1,900+ cache hits/sec to user caching http://i.imgur.com/Ez1kD.png :)

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • I also use APC and it is the only reason why some of my websites even work on a LEB. It saves me a lot of server load!

• I've used Varnish in the past, w/ Apache.

I found it to perform better than Litespeed (comparing to a VPS license, though) and it was used on a cPanel system. Though that was a while back and I don't have any stats to share, other than my word that there was a positive and noticeable difference in performance and very few issues. (Mainly with a couple Wordpress blogs and varnish not purging cache on site updates)

• Hey, please review your config.

You put 5 instances of variable cache each 1024M.
    Plus one instance of scripts cache for 2048M

Nothing strange that it consumes 7gb = 5x1024mb + 2048mb

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • @Alexei said: Hey, please review your config.
    You put 5 instances of variable cache each 1024M.

Plus one instance of scripts cache for 2048M

Nothing strange that it consumes 7gb = 5x1024mb + 2048mb

Sorry, pressed the "Thanks" button by accident...

On Topic: The OP did that on purpose to see how much it changes on his server load.

• @Kairus was that 1600 concurrent? or over a 15-30minute span interval?

• @Boltersdriveer said: IPB is a terrible software in the first place...

I've managed IPB on communities with >50k members, and while it is not lightweight by any means, and a bit buggy, its cache functionality coupled with APC can handle hundreds of thousands of page views on pretty light hardware (8GB dedi, dual core).

• @Nexus said: @Kairus was that 1600 concurrent? or over a 15-30minute span interval?

I think I had the listing set to 10 minutes back then.

• RophRoph Member
    edited September 2012

I use APC and my largest SMF board's index page can hit 0.0x second generation times.

I will probably jynx myself by posting the URL and you'll see poor loading times, but here it is. 32MB assigned to APC, Apache 2 behind Nginx.