Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Switching to WHMCS, or other?

Switching to WHMCS, or other?

dominicldominicl Member
edited September 2012 in Help

Hello,

I currently use ClientExec. I don't really like the interface at all, and generally find it much harder to use than WHMCS. Would you recommend switching to WHMCS, or is there another system which you'd recommend?

Thanks, Dominic

Comments

• Why did you go with ClientExec?

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    New York - Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Thanked by 1jhadley
  • @Nick_A said: Why did you go with ClientExec?

When I started up, someone on here gave me a free license for CE due me doing something for them (as I still do). Now I can actually pay for licenses, due to clients paying me, I've got the opportunity to switch.

• InfinityInfinity Retired Staff
    edited September 2012

I used to use ClientExec (I thought it looked more awesome than WHMCS - but I was an idiot then and now but to a lesser extent), it wasn't the interface, the actual system was failing on me, i.e. billing. I being an idiot of course, switched to WHMCS and migrated the data over and now billing is all flipped up on WHMCS, and WHMCS doesn't import a lot of stuff so a fair bit of manual work is required. That is unless my ClienExec install was just completely fudged.

WHMCS has my choice, it's good enough. It works.

我是一个巨魔 (;

• There is going to be something you hate about all of them. I don't recommend switching around much. We switched to HostBill after the big WHMCS deal, then switched back later for a variety of reasons that I won't bore you with, but having to do that twice isn't something I'm proud of. It doesn't come across well.

@jarland said: I don't recommend switching around much.

+1 Some clients don't like that, just I'm lucky to have nice clients that don't care as long as their service works and they can pay their bills fine.

我是一个巨魔 (;

• jhadleyjhadley Member
    edited September 2012

I love how with one hand one can ask questions like this and with the other take people's money for hosting services, all on the same website :P

Seriously though, you should be using WHMCS. There isn't really an alternative that fits the same position in the market.

Loading Deck - Cloud Consultants: Server Management | Consultancy | Software Development
    Thanked by 1Taz
  • @Infinity said: WHMCS has my choice, it's good enough. It works.

I've used WHMCS before and still do (elsewhere) and it works fine. I like it. I see they have an import script to move from CE but as you say manual work is probably going to be required too.

CE is working fine. I just hate it.

@jarland said: We switched to HostBill

If HostBill had monthly, I might have gone with them. Obviously they don't..

• @Nick_A said: Why did you go with ClientExec?

I had the same question. Well i use Hostbill for hosting clients, a beauty and cheap in long terms.

Im out

• @acarrascope said: Well i use Hostbill for hosting clients, a beauty and cheap in long terms.

I like HostBill, but they don't have a monthly license which I need at the moment. ClientExec annoys me when it doesn't work properly, that's all :P And I don't like the interface (client or admin).

• @dominicl said: If HostBill had monthly

Owned licenses are cheaper no matter which you choose, if you plan on being in business for a while.

• @jarland said: Owned licenses are cheaper no matter which you choose, if you plan on being in business for a while.

I do, and probably could buy a owned license a bit further down the line. I'm not in a position to do so at the moment which is why I'm looking for monthly.

@dominicl said: I'm not in a position to do so at the moment which is why I'm looking for monthly.

If you don't have enough money for that, how do you have enough money to "expand"?

我是一个巨魔 (;

• @Infinity said: If you don't have enough money for that, how do you have enough money to "expand"?

Does his server company offer the first month free as per @Randy's comment?

Loading Deck - Cloud Consultants: Server Management | Consultancy | Software Development
  • TazTaz Disabled

@Infinity said: If you don't have enough money for that, how do you have enough money to "expand"?

Free months.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• TazTaz Disabled

@jhadley said: Does his server company offer the first month free as per @Randy's comment?

WHT promotion.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• @Infinity said: If you don't have enough money for that, how do you have enough money to "expand"?

I wasn't going to expand straight away. I was merely getting ideas so that when I am in a position to expand, I can do so. I was thinking of expanding in 1-3 months. Was just getting a list of providers to look at pricing at.

• Go with ubersmith

Disclosure: I work for Query Foundry LLC.
    I own DA International Group Ltd.
    Thanked by 1jhadley
  • @jhadley said: Does his server company offer the first month free as per @Randy's comment?

Yes, they did. I've asked for the invoice to be generated, and am going to get that paid as soon as they do so.

• TazTaz Disabled

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Go with ubersmith

You are going to kill the poor guy dude.

edited September 2012

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Go with ubersmith

You wanna make him bankrupt?

Edit: Damn, Tazwar (I think that's his name) beat me.. :(

我是一个巨魔 (;

• @Infinity Probably renting hardware and not buying/building.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: You are going to kill the poor guy dude.

@Infinity said: You wanna make him bankrupt?

+1

• Nonsense, they offer free trials.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: Nonsense, they offer free trials.

Maybe so, but then it costs like $150 per month

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Nonsense, they offer free trials.

You're hinting that his company will only last the period of the free trial? :P

我是一个巨魔 (;

• @Infinity said: You're hinting that his company will only last the period of the free trial? :P

He probably is. But Ubersmith is not an option and I don't need all the features :P It looks like WHMCS it will be.

@dominicl said: He probably is.

He might not be wrong. :D

@bdtech said: @Infinity Probably renting hardware and not buying/building.

Just because you're renting, doesn't mean you can't afford an owned license..

我是一个巨魔 (;

Thanked by 1Jar
  • @Infinity said: Just because you're renting, doesn't mean you can't afford an owned license..

Heck it means the opposite. I didn't have to buy the system and the extra drives on hand at the datacenter. Short term the renter has much more free money ;)

• @jarland said: Heck it means the opposite. I didn't have to buy the system and the extra drives on hand at the datacenter. Short term the renter has much more free money ;)

On the other side - short term the renter might not have even enough to cover his next month.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: the renter might not have even enough to cover his next month.

The renter does have enough to cover more than the next month.

• TazTaz Disabled

@dominicl said: the next month.

3 month?

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: 3 month?

More than that too.

• TazTaz Disabled

@dominicl said: More than that too.

You just said you can not pay 200$ for a license cause you do not have the money?

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: You just said you can not pay 200$ for a license cause you do not have the money?

I have other fees to pay too. I'd probably rather WHMCS anyway. Never used HostBill myself, ever.

• @dominicl said: I have other fees to pay too.

Mustn't forget the overheads: liability insurance, accountant's fees etc. :)

• TazTaz Disabled

@jhadley said: Mustn't forget the overheads: liability insurance, accountant's fees etc. :)

Tax, Registration fee, merchant fee, etc.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Tax, Registration fee, merchant fee, etc.

Prostitutes, drugs, beer, video games etc...

• TazTaz Disabled

@Spencer said: Prostitutes, drugs, beer, video games etc...

That reminds me, I will have to get a dedi from FDC's new Amsterdam location.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: That reminds me, I will have to get a dedi from FDC's new Amsterdam location.

The prostitutes and drugs reminded you, didn't they?

On the other hand you mentioned taxes, accountant and etc. . He is 15 yrs old, legally not allowed to run a registered company, meaning he would not pay for such things.

• TazTaz Disabled

@Alex_LiquidHost said: On the other hand you mentioned taxes, accountant and etc. . He is 15 yrs old, legally not allowed to run a registered company, meaning he would not pay for such things

Duh, Dad= Accountant, Mom= Legal adviser.

• TazTaz Disabled

@Alex_LiquidHost said: The prostitutes and drugs reminded you, didn't they?

Lol yep.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: FDC's new Amsterdam location.

Why would you want to do that?

• @Jack said: Why would you want to do that?

If he can get a good pricing, why not.. It is not that bad, I did some sys admin job a week ago on a server from there and I was getting almsot full gbps on downloading from EU.

• TazTaz Disabled

@Jack said: Why would you want to do that?

For a project that will require more transfer and need europe location. :P

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: EU.

EU = Pewww

• @Spencer said: EU = Pewww

???????

I work for Nodisto.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: If he can get a good pricing, why not.. It is not that bad, I did some sys admin job a week ago on a server from there and I was getting almsot full gbps on downloading from EU.

I got 7gbit out of it within the 24 hours trial but it was mostly ~200-300mbit.

• dominicldominicl Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: legally not allowed to run a registered company

I can register in a year ;) In the UK anyhow. Non-registered till then

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: On the other hand you mentioned taxes, accountant and etc. . He is 15 yrs old, legally not allowed to run a registered company, meaning he would not pay for such things.

Wait a second here, are you telling me @dominicl is 15 years old and trying to run a VPS company?

Thanked by 1Randy
  • @Legendlink said: Wait a second here, are you telling me @dominicl is 15 years old and trying to run a VPS company?

I am 15, and no I'm not trying to run a VPS company. I am running a VPS company. I know 2, possibly 3 other people on here who have good rep that are 15/16. There's nothing wrong with it if you know how.