Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

RamNode Vs Hostigation

RamNode Vs Hostigation

mujmuj Member
edited September 2012 in General

Comments

• If all you care about is speed and benchmarks, click the 'Benchmarks' tab of the links you posted.

Otherwise, they're both solid hosts.

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • @liam said: RamNode

:O Really? @Nick_A http://ramnode.com/

@Damian said: Otherwise, they're both solid hosts.

Gotta agree with you there.

• AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited September 2012

+1,000,000 Hostigation

Thanked by 1Asim
  • I vote for Tim / hostigation. ramnode.com was registered in May this year?

• AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited September 2012

@rds100 said: ramnode.com was registered in May this year?

It doesn't really matter when they were registered, they could be an as good or better host. I haven't used them so can't say. Bbeen with Hostigation for a while now and had zero issues, plus Tim's been excellent at what he does.

• They are also minecraftlayer.com

• TazTaz Disabled

Both of them are solid. Flip a coin and dive in.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• InfinityInfinity Retired Staff

@liam said: Never heard of RamNode.

Don't say you're ever active on this forum again.. Come on, you must have seen them around here. They're both good, but yeah Hostigation gets my pick just because I've used it and haven't used RamNode ;)

我是一个巨魔 (;

• TazTaz Disabled

@Damian what happened to your sig and gravatar? No more ipxcore?

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

Thanked by 2Jack Maounique
  • Also ramnode.com looks too much like trying to copy the name of ramhost.us . At least initially i got confused.

Thanked by 2Asim Maounique
  • Hostigation is great - I have one of Tim's VPSs for DNS myself!

@rds100 said: ramnode.com was registered in May this year?

Yes, but as someone mentioned, we've been hosting VPSs for much longer (over a year now).

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    New York - Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
  • @liam said: In the words of @chief "Team Tim!".

I like in the words of @jarland better "It just works!"

Also, I can play better jedi mind tricks

Hostigation High Resource Hosting - SolusVM OpenVZ/KVM VPS
  • @liam said: Never heard of RamNode.

Should check them out, solid network and performance. Definitely high on my top 10 list ;)

Thanked by 2Nick_A TheHackBox
  • @rds100 said: Also ramnode.com looks too much like trying to copy the name of ramhost.us . At least initially i got confused.

I had actually never heard of ramhost until about a month in.

• Hm, I could move my main site to Hostigation. Only $0.50 more.

• As a customer of both they are both great and offer similar feature sets

both have beefy servers and fast networks

join us on IRC - #lowendbox on irc.freenode.net

• @jarland said: Should check them out, solid network and performance.

Same, I'm always looking for a reason to buy a VPS from @Nick_A and I don't get that feeling very often.

• @JoeMerit - I agree. They are both great.

• @miTgiB said: I'm always looking for a reason to buy a VPS from @Nick_A

Buy one?

Thanked by 1eastonch
  • @dominicl said: Buy one?

He buys from me, why shouldn't I pay for my service if I require it as well. Or am I being completely crazy here expecting to pay my bills?

• @miTgiB said: He buys from me, why shouldn't I pay for my service if I require it as well.

Ah, sorry. Didn't realise you already had one.

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited September 2012

I bought a small vps today for our dns management in the usa. RamNode has an excellent support! Performance on SSD cached nodes are fine!

fileMEDIA - German VPS @ https://www.filemedia.de - German dedi @ https://www.dedify.com

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @miTgiB said: I like in the words of @jarland better "It just works!"

You wouldn't put a hostigation sticker on your bumper, talk about it in the coffee shop while writing poetry, or brag to all your friends. But you'll get a server that does it's dang job and has a serious uptime problem...in that it doesn't go down enough to be considered a LEB.

And there's my two endorsements for the day.

• I personally have a RamNode and it's great, I'll buy a Hostigation now since it seems good.

- Ishaq
    Thanked by 2Nick_A Asim
  • I like both.

This signature is brought to you by the NSA. Spying on the entire world since 1952!

• Been with RAMNode for about 2 weeks now (KVM 512MB RAM). Nick made me a personal plan because the SSD-cached KVM servers aren't available yet (additional disk space until SSD-cached KVM are released). Really awesome support, EXTREMELY fast network, very amazing host.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • nunimnunim Member
    edited September 2012

I just got a RamNode today, @Nick_A worked with me to meet my needs and price. Thus far I'm quite pleased with my purchase, I mean KVM with IPv6 in Atlanta, what more could I ask for?

I've setup my looking glass if anyone is curious as to how the network is setup, I am content with the speed testing I've done so far, they could be faster but the latency is excellent for me. The only downside I see so far as is that the bandwidth solely TINET.

atl.sonicboxes.net - looking glass on RamNode kvm

SonicGlass 11 Locations- Amsterdam, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, , Milan,
    SonicBoxes.com - VPS Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Between the two processors which is better

Intel Ivy Bridge E3-1230v2 (3.3GHz) Quad Core processors - RamNode E3-1230 (3.2GHz) - Hostigation

• Not much in it really.

• TazTaz Disabled

.1 difference. Which you wouldn't even notice in many cases.

Thanked by 1flam316
  • You're not going to notice the difference between those processors. Both companies will take good care of you and Nick and Tim are both nice people. It basically comes down to location.

Check out my blog at rubiverse.net
  • Sums it up :

I work for Nodisto.

• +1 Ramnode :)

Thanked by 2Nick_A TheHackBox
  • Clock rate doesn't tell the full story of the performance difference between those two processors, but both are very powerful and more than enough for most applications. The Ivy Bridge line is frankly amazing, but you should not base your decision purely on Sandy vs Ivy Bridge. Let everyone know what features attracted you to us and Hostigation and they'll be able to give you more helpful feedback than just "I LOVE BOTH WOOO" (which is much appreciated :D).

• Nick_ANick_A Member
    edited September 2012

EBWOP: Where does Hostigation list E3-1230? I thought Tim used E5s?...

• JackJack Member
    edited September 2012

@Nick_A I think Tim uses multiple E3's in most of the older KVM/OVZ nodes.

The 1GB Plans + ones are E5's...

• @Jack said: multiple E3's in most of the older KVM/OVZ nodes.

Multiple E3s?...

• @Nick_A said: Multiple E3s?...

As in a lot of the nodes are E3's.

• @Nick_A said: Multiple E3s?...

All OpenVZ nodes are E3-1230(v1&2) for 128/256mb OpenVZ except 1 node in Charlotte which is an AMD Opteron 6128, and All 512/1g/2g nodes are E5-2620 KVM could be E3-1230(v1&2), E3-1270, L5520, E5-2620

I have just over 30 nodes so sometimes the gear is older as I began upgrading the network in Jan of 2010 taking all the Opteron 2350's and older out of service.

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited September 2012

You can't go wrong with either, both offer SSD Cached nodes, decent port speeds & good personalised support.

Nick has pure SSD options, which would be the main difference (plus location if thats important to you Tim: LA & Charlotte, Nick: Dallas & Atlanta).

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
    Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @Jack said: As in a lot of the nodes are E3's.

Ah ok - I took it to mean Tim figured out how to combined E3s on a single server!

• RamNode and Hostigation is great :)

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
    Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @Nick_A said: Tim figured out how to combined E3s on a single server!

I told you I am better with jedi mind tricks ;)

• Both are great provider. :D

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • PatsPats Member
    edited September 2012

@Damian said: If all you care about is speed and benchmarks, click the 'Benchmarks' tab of the links you posted. Otherwise, they're both solid hosts.

Damian ?? what happened to Avatar & signature?? am i missing smth?

Heard lot good abt Hostigation & Ramnode - had noticed jarland putting its sticker in the bumper(signature) a while back :)

Planning to use Hostigation due to location LA

• acarrascopeacarrascope Banned
    edited September 2012

I only use Hostigation (if this is only for the name, wins), i don't have the comparing point yet

+1 Hostigation

Im out

• I got both openvz and kvm ssd vps from ramnode. The network speed and performance are great. And @Nick_A replied my support ticket very FAST!

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @muj E3-1230s are nice processors, 1230 and 1230v2 have no big differences. We using E3-1270 and have enough CPU power :)

RamNode, nice support! We using it for our ns300.fmbackbone.de dns server in the usa.

fileMEDIA - German VPS @ https://www.filemedia.de - German dedi @ https://www.dedify.com

Thanked by 1Nick_A