Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

When Purchasing Shared Hosting, What Do You Look For And Why?

When Purchasing Shared Hosting, What Do You Look For And Why?

JeffreyJeffrey Member
edited September 2012 in General

The Shared Hosting business is very large and people choose each host for their own personal reasons. Would it be cPanel? Location? Speed? Uptime? Support? Is there any reason why you would pick Shared Hosting over VPS Hosting? Please elaborate below as I am interested to see your answers. :)

Relax brah
Tagged:

Comments

• Never used Shared Hosting before, my first website was hosted on a 512MB Linode :P

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• Back when I used shared hosting it was the support, cPanel, speed (location doesn't matter as long as it's fast). I guess I generally picked good hosts since I never really had any downtime, but now that I run a few larger sites I'd definitely say uptime is very important.

• Off topic - you sold CH? PM please? :D

• @Zen Yep :)

Relax brah
  • With the costs of LEB's I personally don't see the value in Shared hosting anymore.

From my experience users that choose shared hosting do so due to a lack of server admin & technical knowledge. Plus many shared hosts offer CPanel or DirectAdmin (which further reduces the need to learn about how a server works).

Due to the lack of knowledge these types of users then get sold on price, features & reputation (or "size" of company). Rather than the performance.

ServerBear - Easy UnixBench/dd/IOPS/FIO (NEW) & Network Benchmarks | Example Report | Compare Low End Boxes
    Gleam - Run kick-ass viral competitions & rewards to grow your userbase. Free until Sept.
  • Cpanel. And limited resources. Usually "unlimited" (bw, disk) is a big turn off for me.

Twitter Bootstrap Themes for your software projects. I recommend Prometeus and Catalyst Host

• JarJar Member
    edited September 2012

Heck at this point I might as well put high price on my list of things I look for. Doesn't automatically mean they'll use the money to increase performance and decrease overselling, but they sure aren't going to do that at $0.10/m. So I'll start there and then research reviews and business practices.

One of the reasons I like MediaTemple for shared hosting is that they're never content with their product. Always trying to find a better way to do things, spending money appropriately on development of new offerings. I don't want a host that says "here's cpanel, I know how to run an install script, now pay me." I want passion. I want my host to love what they do.

That said, I obviously host my own stuff, but I know what I want and that's why I started.

• qjqqjq Member
    edited September 2012

free host for unimportant stuff and vps for the important stuff

• @qjq said: i buy all the unlimited things unlimited space unlimited bandwidth and unlimited database and storage and unlimited everything

Why? Just why? Most unlimited hosts have overloaded servers, horrid support, and/or insecure setups.

Just wondering.

Shane Elmore | Programmer In Progress

• i kid ok

• Whatever MediaTemples doing with their Grid service, it's correct.

Damn that's good marketing. Always my example.

~ Jimmy VortexUnit. Who likes poptart.cats?
  • @Jeffrey - look for one that uses CloudLinux / offers R1 CDP inside the control panel where you have access to the backups / check the retention, we offer 7 days of backups under R1 / Web Site Builder and Softaculous Auto Script Installer / perhaps see if they have the choice of multiple locations for your choice of where you want to site to live / stable / longevity in the business , etc... IMHO

HostCheetah.com - Shared and VPS : Coming Soon

• I would only choose shared hosting over vps hosting if it was able to cope with larger loads and I had a site with big traffic.

@mitgib has said before that his shared hosting is designed for performance, that's why it's quite pricey

• Hm... Standard for shared hosting : - 100% uptime - Softaculous - Cloudlinux - Unlimited Database - Unlimited Email Address - Big disk space - Free addon like Cloudflare, Free Backup, Attracta, etc - Fast access / low ping - Not overloaded

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
    Thanked by 1n0my
  • Could someone please explain why CloudLinux is a must?

Relax brah
  • FreekFreek Member
    edited September 2012
    • Location --> Same country as I live in
    • Control Panel --> cPanel and cPanel only!
    • Uptime Guarantee --> At least 99.9%
    • Unlimited databases/email address/domains etc.
    • Not oversold
    • No Unlimited disk space/bandwidth. I want to know how much I can use. Don't give me that unlimited bullcrap.

Linux noob willing to learn.

• @Jeffrey said: Could someone please explain why CloudLinux is a must?

It's Just a nice addon to stop some users using all RAM ect.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @ErawanArifNugroho said: Unlimited Database

If space allotments are too high, this one usually scares me. SQL abuse can take a pretty big toll on a system. I either expect to see low storage or limits to SQL.

• @Jeffrey said: Could someone please explain why CloudLinux is a must?

To stop abusers.

I work for VenexCloud.com

• @jarland said: If space allotments are too high, this one usually scares me. SQL abuse can take a pretty big toll on a system. I either expect to see low storage or limits to SQL.

Hehe.. At some place, I only can get 5GB. While I only use about 5 database with less than 20MB each.

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • TazTaz Disabled

@Freek said: Unlimited databases/email address/domains

@Freek said: Don't give me that unlimited bullcrap.

Contradicting your self :P

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • TazTaz Disabled

@jarland said: If space allotments are too high, this one usually scares me. SQL abuse can take a pretty big toll on a system. I either expect to see low storage or limits to SQL.

Back in the days when we were only offering shared hosting (Free and premium), we have used SSD for mysql and it worked like a charm plus remember, while everyone dreams, not everyone is the next WHT, DP or LEB.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited September 2012

@Taz_NinjaHawk said: Contradicting your self :P

I think @Freek meant that he wants to be able to decide for himself how he uses his allocated ressources. For example things like you can create as many databases as you want as long as you don't exceed your 5gb storage limit.

That would be also what i look for in shared hosting.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Back in the days when we were only offering shared hosting (Free and premium), we have used SSD for mysql and it worked like a charm plus remember, while everyone dreams, not everyone is the next WHT, DP or LEB.

Still has an effect on CPU and memory as well. Not likely that anyone is going to make a 10GB database or something, but I don't like taking chances because people continually surprise me.

• When I ran a free shared host I had an account with 1gb disk space, with 970mb in MySQL and 13mb of files.

FreeVPS.us - The oldest post to host VPS provider
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: I think @Freek meant that he wants to be able to decide for himself how he uses his allocated ressources. For example things like you can create as many databases as you want as long as you don't exceed your 5gb storage limit.

Yes, you are correct. That's indeed what I meant.

Linux noob willing to learn.

• japonjapon Member
    edited September 2012
    • Secure IMAP
    • Secure SMTP
    • External Domains
    • SCP/SSH Access
    • SQLite Support
    • If possible: no Cpanel

La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée.

Thanked by 1nabo
  • @ErawanArifNugroho said: Hm... Standard for shared hosting : - 100% uptime - Softaculous - Cloudlinux - Unlimited Database - Unlimited Email Address - Big disk space - Free addon like Cloudflare, Free Backup, Attracta, etc - Fast access / low ping - Not overloaded

pretty well summed up..

• cheapest price
    • many addon domains
    • free domain name
    • good, fast support

@jarland , like it or not... unlimited game keeps on rolling.. we educated many what is unlimited but clients still get attracted to it.. :(

open up few popular ones and u'll get the idea what ppl want - hostgator, bluehost, powweb...

• I use shared hosting mainly because of the email-system. I don't want to care about handling spam. This said my preferences are as follows:

• IMAP/STMP with SSL
    • external Domains

So far the same as @japon. SCP/SSH-connectivity would be superb. I don't understand why hosts still today just offer FTP-access.

"Kids, you tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson learned is: never try."

• Brand and reputation. I don't want a 12-year-old reseller or a person who don't know Apache. I buy shared hosting is because I want less headaches on server management, not moving around "hosts" every month.

Selling multiple 2000-user GApps :) Shoot me a message to make an offer.

• Rikimaru90Rikimaru90 Member
    edited September 2012

I consider a company which tell the truth about max shared hosting clients inside a server... I think it can give us some idea about deciding how good they are, how "not oversold" they are. and how prepared they are since this "max shared hosting clients inside a server" need a mature thinking, else they want to get bankrupt early.. :p

"I Always Happy ! The Secret Is, When Something Bad Happens, I Always Yell : Eeee... Macarena !!" :D

• When I purchase shared hosting I look for a VPS. :D

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    New York - Atlanta - Seattle - Netherlands - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
  • @Nick_A said: When I purchase shared hosting I look for a VPS. :D

Haha.. LOL.. Nice one, bro... :D

"I Always Happy ! The Secret Is, When Something Bad Happens, I Always Yell : Eeee... Macarena !!" :D

• @jarland said: Always trying to find a better way to do things, spending money appropriately on development of new offerings. I don't want a host that says "here's cpanel, I know how to run an install script, now pay me." I want passion. I want my host to love what they do.

Stop by we can fill you with passion and also tickle you free :P

https://www.simplydigitalhosting.com/ We are the 1st Virtualmin web host to be using PHP-FPM for efficient PHP websites! Shared Hosting, Un-managed VPS, Managed VPS, Minecraft VPS, Dedicated Servers all with excellent support

• The only reason I have website on shared hosting is because the server has a cisco firewall in front of it. Otherwise my site was originally on a VPS.

Now I'm thinking of moving it back to vps and enable cloudflare or incapsula.

• I think support and overall quality of service is most important with shared hosting.

• Up to date PHP and MySQL. I've seen some hosts running PHP 5.1 and MySQL 5.0! le gasp

Shane Elmore | Programmer In Progress

• @serverbear There is value in shared hosting when done right. We offer several packages that perform far better on their own than most small to medium VPS servers. Of course, most shared hosting is crap. Some of the web sites that we host on our shared hosting (we call it hybrid cloud hosting): http://www.seiucalifornia.org http://olympus-gaming.net http://www.cambridgelsat.com

Of course we allocate healthy amounts of PHP and APC memory for each account along with huge MySQL buffers and set InnoDB as the default storage engine amongst other things, use Varnish Cache for web server caching and acceleration and use RAID-10 arrays for storage and MySQL.

Another company that I know of that provides great shared hosting is hotdrupal.com, but they are expensive for this day and age.

This might be the wrong place to ask about shared hosting do :P

As a rule of thumb, avoid the big shared hosting providers. @serverbear has 2 great articles on this subject on his blog:

http://blog.serverbear.com/industry/does-unlimited-hosting-exist/

http://blog.serverbear.com/guides/choosing-hosting-company/

• cPanel w/ Cloud-Linux. Just more stable in general. Decent support and even though installing scripts is a breeze, it's just nice having an auto-installer for when I'm feeling lazy.

That's it, really.

vpsBoard.com - Now with over 450 members! A friendly community with active discussion. Come join us!

IRC.FREENODE.NET #vpsBoard - Drop by and say, 'Hello'.