Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PRTG from Paessler - 100 sensors Free
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PRTG from Paessler - 100 sensors Free

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

A friend of mine gave me the update that Paessler now offers a free copy of their PRTG Network Monitor tool with up to 100 sensors.

Old offer was 10 sensors (possible upgrade to 25) which was not enough in most cases to monitor your own network of servers.

Download your free copy from http://www.paessler.com/prtg

Note that PRTG requires Windows but can monitor most other devices.

Thanked by 3MikePT Infinity Spencer

Comments

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

I liked PRTG, but the per sensor billing put me off. When you are running an environment with thousands of sensors it doesn't make sense. We have instead used a combination of open source tools to achieve the same result.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@leapswitch said:
    We have instead used a combination of open source tools to achieve the same result.

Feel free to mention what open source tools you have used.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Would like it other than the fact that it used windows.

Thanked by 1stackmutt
  • leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@mikho said:
    Feel free to mention what open source tools you have used.

We use a combination of MRTG/Cacti, Observium and Zabbix alongwith some coding/scripting by our own developers.

Thanked by 1mikho
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

The UI Guys from Observium should come together with the Backend guys from Zabbix. They could rule the world. evil.

Anyway per sensor billing is evil, we are in excess of 35,000 monitors already so 13,500 US$ - 47,250 US$ (no thanks). I do however know of a few businesses using PRTG and its a very polished product (albeit a bit of a performance hog with large numbers of devices).

Personally I would recommend either Observium (for device monitoring) and Zabbix (for indepth or network monitoring). Not a fan of Cacti having explored its code in-depth under contract in the past, and experienced nothing but pain making it scale.

Thanked by 1leapswitch
  • DBADBA Member

I played with the 10 sensors version (actually ten enabled sensors - disabled ones were not counted) and the UI and everything was fine but it seemed to do things inefficiently. For example multiple sensors that use SSH to connect to a server would each open their own connection instead of sharing.