Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dear Providers,Do you take "Forum spam" as seriously as "Email spam" ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dear Providers,Do you take "Forum spam" as seriously as "Email spam" ?

I run a MyBB forum.Email verification is a must in my forum so most spambots fail to post anything.But someone of them were able to verify email and post spam in my forum. Some of the spam bots IP's were 45.58.50.118(HostUS) @AlexanderM

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Did you think about send a Abuse to HostUS?

• @Infinity580 I also get spam from colocrossing, OVH IP's too

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2015

Most don't take it as seriously as email spam because it's far less likely to impact other customers or future customers. The lists that report them simply are not widely used for anything significant. It's obviously important, but the impact is certainly less.

• If IP get blacklisted then I guess yes specially to Level 1

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited April 2015

I understand the email server it was sent to (the confirmation email) was from outside hostUS, right? Can't believe they would allow the mail ports on a web spammer, and they wouldn't on mine. Even though they said the opposite here...

• Providers can block or limit smtp connections to prevent email spam. They can't limit http connections though, so really not much they can do about it.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I'd say the time would be spent much better on improving your bot checks than on complaining. :)

Thanked by 2Traffic geekalot
  • LESLES Member

You should use better or combined checks for your new user signups (Blacklist/tempmailer checks,captcha,cloudflare, ...) IP is already on some BL (http://blocklist.info?45.58.50.118)

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Every abuse report we recieve a ticket is created automatically, I review every single ticket that passes our help desk and I can't recall this. So rather than post on a forum please email our abuse@hos... Email.

We would like to keep our network as clean as possible. Thanks for helping us reach this goal by emailing us.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2015

We only react when there is an abuse report because there are no better ways to check. We did sign to get those reports, though from major lists.
    While we do not suspend immediately, if it happens again after the warning, the customer is terminated. New customers shown the door directly.
    So, no, not as drastic as spam email, but close.

• @LES I am already using captcha and cloudflare.I also know about stopforumspam.But i dont want to use it because its not always right(If You Know What I Mean).