Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Labs launched as scaleway.com (pricing announced)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Labs launched as scaleway.com (pricing announced)

akbakb Member
edited April 2015 in General

They have finally launched their cloud service as:

https://www.scaleway.com/

Not too impressed with the pricing though.

Online Labs Gets Public!

Hi cloud rider, 

Today is a great day for Online Labs. We are excited to announce that Online Labs is now ready to host your projects under the Scaleway brand! 
For the past months, we worked constantly to improve your experience. 
We have got hundreds of requests from our community that led us to do major changes to build the best cloud platform! 

We are now thrilled to share with you what is new! 
Support is now 24x7 with amazing SLAs and response time guarantee for business needs
Created the ImageHub, an amazing platform to find the apps your need
Created the developer program for application developers and early adopters.
Removed LHDD for a 100% SSD cloud
Upgraded images volume size to 50GB
Reworked shutdown UX, added the possibility to terminate servers
Support of security groups
Support of customizable reverse DNS
Support of automatically generated DNS
Support of latest kernel, doubled the performance of the mainline kernel
Added the possibility to choose from which kernel you boot

We want to thank you and all our early adopters, it has been amazing to see so many testers from all over the globe! It has been a huge success, imagine that during this preview you requested more than 200,000 servers! 

To thank you, we give you a free month of unlimited Scaleway services. 

Important: As the platform is now public, we need you to accept our Terms of Service. You will also need to complete your billing informations in the next 7 days to enjoy your free month. 

GET MY FREE MONTH
Read more about the changes on the blog. 

Join the community, share ideas and new features you would like to see on Scaleway. 

Chat with the team and the community on our IRC channel #scaleway - irc.online.net. 

If you like the service, spread the word! You can invite people to join this adventure. :) 

Happy cloud riding, 
Scaleway
Thanked by 1default

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2015

200Mbits is okay but the CPU a bit weak.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited April 2015

I don't mind the pricing. €9.99 ($10.80 USD) for 200Mbit unmetered is not bad! It's good that they have snapshots, reserved IPs and such, but I'd still probably grab a dedi from them over this offer.

I really really hope their "Infinite Storage" is like S3 and can be accessed externally; €2.00 for 100GB with unlimited requests and transfers... I'm in heaven :)

The only downside:

Q. Am I charged when I enter my credit card?

A. No. when you input your card number, we perform an authorization charge of €20 to ensure the card is valid.This is just a preauthorization: nothing is charged.

€20 pre-auth charge seems a bit steep to confirm a CC.

• xyzxyz Member
    edited April 2015

https://www.scaleway.com/pricing

The "cloud" aspect probably makes the pricing somewhat high (compared to, say, their Nano server) - no setup fees or fixed subscription, plus the platform is relatively more complex than a simple dedicated server.
    Whilst I'd generally consider it inferior to the Nano server (if you don't need the features), it does have more CPU power (if you can use all cores; single thread performance is significantly weaker) - possibly the biggest issue of the Nano CPU. Also a pure SSD disk, but no longer dedicated to the box (unlike the 120GB for the XC server).

I wonder whether they fixed the stability issues.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Overpriced and underpowered

• better to have LHDD back.

• Well online.net cant compare to runabove. Now this cloud machines so expesive. Better deal to get a nano for 6eur/mo. R.I.P.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • trvztrvz Member

Hi people, I'd like to bring this great new technology to your attention, which will make your Cloudscale server totally useful: parallel computing.

• creepcreep Member

and they said they are competing DigitalOcean price. what a great belated april fool.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Good luck with that pricing, hausarzt out * drops mike *

• Kudos to the people who came up with the pricing. Online.net's competitors are running for a place to hide!

• Good luck with pricing, I rethink again about this.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Expensive...

• creep said: and they said they are competing DigitalOcean price. what a great belated april fool.

They are, just not with DO's smallest plan.

• earlearl Member

Well at least there is no setup fee..

• Does anybody know if the object store be used as CDN for audio files?

• J1021J1021 Member

Does anybody know the unixbench result for the Via Nano U2250 processor?

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@kcaj said:

Has a CPU Mark of 377.. it's lower than the n2800 (636) for comparison

• @kcaj said:

same performance as this cloud

• u137u137 Member

Does anyone know if SSD storage is redundant? SAN/Raid based or local?

• Aaaaaaand that's me back with DO

Thanked by 2netomx NanoG6
  • LeeLee Veteran

Mission Critical support only €499 per month. Not bad...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2015

Indeed not impressing for LE people...

• Noooo their dedis cheaper than this arm

• berkayberkay Member
    edited April 2015

Does anyone know how can I get my account deleted? Or is it even possible?

EDIT: Just send a ticket if you want to get your account closed, they are quite fast.

• rokokrokok Member

Expensive and Card only payment. Poor people like me really avoid this kind.

• earlearl Member
    edited April 2015

@Lee said:
    Mission Critical support only €499 per month. Not bad...

For 500 euros i would buy a better server before i buy better support ;)

Thanked by 1default
  • J1021J1021 Member

I don't see this competing with DigitalOcean. It has a 200Mb/s unmetered uplink, but do people need that? It has a dedicated CPU with 4 cores, but it's ARM and DO still beats performance.

• I doubt businesses which are able to pay 500€ per month for critical support even use ARM cloud service.

• I don't get it: they sell dedis on the cheap and create premium services for ARM? It would make sense to sell cheap ARM to lure customers in, then have them pay for a more expensive "cloud". I don't see what group this scaleway offer appeals to.

• I have plan to cancel some kidéchire dedi in my account, but scaleway price make me think about my decision again :))

Thanked by 3default netomx NanoG6