Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RIPE is running out of IPv4 - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RIPE is running out of IPv4

Comments

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Once they force all those pharmacy and cosmetic businesses to give back their /8, Things gonna become more FUN!

lowendcanadianpharmacy.com, anyone?

I'll stop with the jokes now. :C

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

https://www.ripe.net/internet-coordination/ipv4-exhaustion/ipv4-available-pool-graph - that's for RIPE. Not sure if hasn't been posted here yet.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Hum the depletion rate is huge. In this way by the end of the year will be done...
    M

• @Maounique nope, since today the depletion rate is near zero. Now each LIR can receive at most a /22. Once. And only if they already have ipv6. And they must be able to justify the /22. And they must prove that their previous allocations have been properly used up.

You're joking, right ? In 11 days 4 millions have been given and 18 mill remain.
    That is really fast.
    M

• That's probably because people rushed to get the last dips before ripe shut the door :)

I dont see why this will not go on at at least the same pace before it is completely exhausted.
    Ripe will make it harder, but more and more ppl will file for IP space. We will see, I am struggling for 1 year plus to get my /29 from RDS which is SPECIFIED in the contract...
    I even blackmailed them putting some bogus MACs on the switch and claiming i was expecting to get my 29 and that is temporarely till I get it, however it is not working :(
    They dont give me IPv6 either (talking about work, at home i have my /64).
    M

• @Maounique just read the email from RIPE (in the first post). I am not inventing this. I just reposted RIPE's email here.

edited September 2012

I have read it a few days ago, but facts dont match it, i think they didnt anticipate the amount of requests they will get and will have to change rules half way.
    M

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2012

@Maounique
    Nope, that was the planned policy for the last /8 since quite some time ago, and it's not gonna change, people can send any number of requests they want, but this is in effect as of today:

@rds100 said: each LIR can receive at most a /22. Once. And only if they already have ipv6. And they must be able to justify the /22. And they must prove that their previous allocations have been properly used up.

• @TheLinuxBug I cant possible tell thousands of people who try to reach our server to remove Hamachi. I can't even know when someone tries to connect to begin with. I think the lack of communication about this issue is the main problem here, alot of people still use Hamachi and if they don't they still have it on their system, just disapling the Network adapter doesn't help here. When they realize they cannot connect to the given IP they will abandon it and think that it is simply down!

• @trololo ok just move to kimsufi then, you can't do anything else anyway.

Oops, then i read some other a few days ago. It was also about the last /8, i think a warning, not the real thing.
    We will see. Providers are using these massively, dont think will drop much the speed of depletion, even with the new policy.
    M

• @trololo Hetzner has not done anything wrong though, its Hamachi who are. As far as Hetzner can see there is nothing wrong with what they are doing and they are doing it correctly in allocation.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2012

Depletion is already a fact at least for RIPE - they can't allocate big blocks to LIRs anymore - that's why they implement this policy.
    For providers it is a different thing. Some will feel the pain soon, some never.
    We for instance have about 28k IPs of which at least half are not used - should last for some time ;-)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@MrLabradoodle said: Hetzner has not done anything wrong though, its Hamachi who are.

Yep. I have a 5.x.x.x VPS from ProviderService, and after this discussion I almost feel like moving some of my more popular websites there, so that any Hamachi users will need to nuke Hamachi from their systems (or complain to Hamachi loudly) if they want to keep accessing those sites. Gosh, having fun with things like these is easy when you don't earn any money from your visitors :D

Thanked by 2rds100 Garrett
    edited September 2012

I always wondered how LogMe In survives with those prices, I am using it at a massive scale for free and getting offers to upgrade at ridiculous prices. Perhaps many americans are rich enough to pay that without looking at the money.
    M

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

The last ripe communication of the last week accelerated the depletion. Now is time to make some use of all the ipv6 we have :P

@prometeus said: Now is time to make some use of all the ipv6 we have :P

You are a ferocious optimist as I am calling those ppl.
    Most will just throw more money at the problem buying ipv4 from shady sources than switch to ipv6. And they will blame the providers, the internet, the americans that dont feel the need to switch yet, ipv6 is seen as a hacker's paradise and the time passing will only accelerate this perception.
    Besides, china will have a problem firewalling ipv6, i think.
    M

The biggest problem with ipv6 is that it is not yet widely supported by the ISP-s over the world. I am waiting patiently the day it will eb supported world-wide, but I hoenstly cant see this happening the next 1-2 years.

I hope we will soon see something like 6rd deployed
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6_rapid_deployment

ripe even extended the default /32 to /29 to facilitate the adoption...

• @MrLabradoodle That is correct but imo they should atleast show some fairness for those who have such unfortunate IPs instead of demanding 100$ for a new IP

• So,
    Ipv4 is going to be the next virtual GOLD!!!!!!

• @prometeus having ipv6 is nice, but actually using it is another matter. I for instance haven't put ipv6 addresses on our WHMCS mage or our SolusVM page - i have hard time convincing myself that the lazy WHMCS programmers and the lazy SolusVM programmers did the right thing when handling connections from ipv6... and knowing their past history... there will be no ipv6 on these websites for a long time.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited September 2012

@TheLinuxBug said: I would suggest using Neorouter to anyone currently using Hamachi anyhow. Anyone who bowed down to LogMeIn and paid their ridiculous prices just to continue to have more than 5 users in a network is an idiot to being with.

Are you affiliated with Neorouter? Why is at better at $15/month? I pay hamachi zero for the past five years and it just works.

@rds100 said: having ipv6 is nice, but actually using it is another matter. I for instance haven't put ipv6 addresses on our WHMCS mage or our SolusVM page - i have hard time convincing myself that the lazy WHMCS programmers and the lazy SolusVM programmers did the right thing when handling connections from ipv6... and knowing their past history... there will be no ipv6 on these websites for a long time.

I know, this is still the beginning and until arin will have space I don't see any big change happen. But I hope new generation of providers with small allocations and willing to compete in the market will push "exclusive" services :-)

@prometeus said: I know, this is still the beginning and until arin will have space I don't see any big change happen. But I hope new generation of providers with small allocations and willing to compete in the market will push "exclusive" services :-)

ARIN's space is not so much either, right? It is like 3 x /8's? If we consider that there will msot likely be growth in that industry the following motnhs/years/decades, I asume that they will run out of IPs soon as well. Might be wrong, though.

EU uses more rapidly IPs than NA. The more advanced infrastructure and internet penetration, the more ips used.
    NA is busy stopping the internet "hackers" proliferation and the terrorism against IP stakeholders that you can be sure IPv6 will be slow and considered unfit for business.
    IPv6 surveillance is not ready yet. Those ppl need a lot of government funding to face the internet growth on IPv4 let alone 6.
    M

• @Maounique said: EU uses more rapidly IPs than NA

RIPE isn't just the EU, it's also the middle east and central asia.