Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Java support being dropped by browsers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Java support being dropped by browsers

Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
edited March 2015 in General

Java support for Web application is being phased out. Starting from NPAPI deprecation, the process is going on. I have encountered very negative consequences of that when it turned out Java is the only way to access a VPS console in absence of connectivity to it.

Google Chrome doesn't support it starting from version 35. Firefox, formally, still can be used with Java, but damned thing crashed the entire browser. And so on and so forth. Some ancient Opera installation was able to do the trick, after much tuning from Java security console.

Since Oracle doesn't wish to address Web-related Java vulnerabilities, nor it is eager to embrace NPAPI alternatives to re-add Java to browsers, question is: why the hell Web software, such as WHM, VPS control panels, still utilizes highly insecure Java elements?

To the best of my knowledge, known problems allow Java applet to have highly escalated access to the computer running it in browser. I.e., apart from risking your computer's data , or by using a VM that is immediately destroyed after use, running Java is a problem.

Question to hosters is: do you still allow Java applets remain in software your users use to control their hosting assets? If yes, why?

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited March 2015

That article is from 2013 and java runs fine in chrom latest which is at 43 now I think..

• Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited March 2015

@ATHK said:
    That article is from 2013 and java runs fine in chrom latest which is at 43 now I think..

In 2013, the process of phasing out started. Java will be entirely removed in foreseeable future, it's using is already a high risk.

Of course you can tune browser settings in certain cases and force it to use insecure elements. No one can prevent a gun owner from shooting himself.

• XsltelXsltel Member, Host Rep

noVNC using HTML5 canvas/websockets is already great Java Web Based VNC viewer/alternative. it even support IPMI KVM with special modifications .

in answer to your question No I don't use/allow Java applets in browser . and I don't recommend to .

• wychwych Member
    edited March 2015

Master_Bo said: WHM, VPS control panels, still utilizes highly insecure Java elements?

Not all do.

XSLTel said: noVNC using HTML5 canvas/websockets is already great Java Web Based VNC viewer/alternative

+1

• @XSLTel said:
    noVNC using HTML5 canvas/websockets is already great Java Web Based VNC viewer/alternative. it even support IPMI KVM with special modifications .

Correct, the question is for how long products such as this will be alternative instead of primary option.

• wychwych Member
    edited March 2015

@Master_Bo said:
    Correct, the question is for how long products such as this will be alternative instead of primary option.

Till the masses are ready to adapt, many hosts will use their configuration until they need to move; only the minority will prepare and adapt early.

• ehabehab Member

i disliked those java applets from day one, and if any vps provider has it as the main console entry then should drop it asap.

• @ehab said:
    i disliked those java applets from day one, and if any vps provider has it as the main console entry then should drop it asap.

What about supermicro IPMI?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Java rants and Pentium division jokes...this thread is partying like it's 1999.

Thanked by 2mpkossen Mark_R
  • @wych said:
    Till the masses are ready to adapt, many hosts will use their configuration until they need to move; only the minority will prepare and adapt early.

Correct, so much fun is still ahead. Horror stories of user accounts/servers pwned, and so on.

@raindog308 said:
    Java rants and Pentium division jokes...this thread is partying like it's 1999.

The frightening part is it's 2015, but problems with Java are worsening.

• UrDNUrDN Member

Java in browsers is a plugin so it's Oracle that's failing.

Anyway, java in browsers is trash, like flash and cie.

Please drop all of them.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, html5 was designed specifically to drop all those third party products in the end.
    Unfortunately, it is like with IPv6, people wont move unless they absolutely have to.

• +1 to drop all browsers don't support Java. I'm learning Java myself ~..,~

• @comXyz said:
    +1 to drop all browsers don't support Java. I'm learning Java myself ~..,~

+1 I am aswell

• Don't forget all the legacy products that rely on java and probably will never be upgraded - IPMI, IP KVMs, etc., etc.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • ehabehab Member

@Jonchun said:

never used supermicro IPMI before ,,, if know where i can test such spec please tell? I'm always looking to see how other solve problems or make more in this case.

• Flash and Java are the most bloated Browser Plugins.

But as long as Oracle and SAP will support Java - at least Java will survive.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

I do not have Flash and Java installed anymore and barely ever run into any problems. Facebook is the only site I can remember that requires Flash for videos..

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited March 2015

comXyz said: +1 to drop all browsers don't support Java. I'm learning Java myself ~..,~

You should also learn what it's used for then. It's no longer used to create applets for end users to use over the web. It's used to create enterprise software, serverside scripts and perhaps the odd desktop app. Oh and the biggest use is apps for android. Can't forget that. Android has given Java a new lease in life on consumer devices.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @Abdussamad said:

I don't think so.

• comXyz said: I don't think so.

Which part do you disagree with?

Microsoft dropped support for java in their web browser in the 90s. That was the first nail in the coffin of java applets. The second was flash which was much easier to make games and animations with. The final nail has been html5. Java is insecure and usually not installed by default. No one uses it for applets anymore.

• @Abdussamad said:
    Microsoft dropped support for java in their web browser in the 90s.

Java is working fine on my Internet Explorer

• comXyz said: Java is working fine on my Internet Explorer

But only after you installed the plugin no? It isn't installed by default.

This is from way back in the 90s. Netscape had it installed by default which is what allowed java to become popular. Then the browser wars happened and Microsoft was winning. MS removed it from their browser in order to promote activex.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Because it's not installed by default --> shouldn't use it?

• cassacassa Member

Finally

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited March 2015

comXyz said: Because it's not installed by default --> shouldn't use it?

Wouldn't not shouldn't. Especially if you are on 90s dial up and downloading and installing java takes a hell of a long time. Besides most ordinary people back then didn't know how to install software. They used whatever their computer came with which is why MS got taken to court over integrating IE with the OS.

• @Abdussamad you're correct for some people still live in the 90s

• That's a bit of a johnny-come-lately attitude though. Not all code was created yesterday.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

This thread although I sure has some trolls makes some good points, I am going to make an effort to get noVNC/HTML5 functional today.

Thanked by 2yomero Multi
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Abdussamad said: You should also learn what it's used for then. It's no longer used to create applets for end users to use over the web. It's used to create enterprise software, serverside scripts and perhaps the odd desktop app. Oh and the biggest use is apps for android. Can't forget that. Android has given Java a new lease in life on consumer devices.

This is exactly correct.

comXyz said: you're correct for some people still live in the 90s

It's hard to understand you when you post context-free 10-word snippets.

Java's main life today is server-side and you all interact with tons of server-side Java applications every day. Add in Android and there are billions of JVMs running his moment. @Abdussamad summed it up very well. There are also some prominent desktop apps - IIRC, CrashPlan's client is Java-based.

But there's little need to run it in a browser any more...which is a shame. The current web development model is so ridiculous - learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and at least one more on the back end...all to write one app.

Thanked by 1yomero