Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HUBIC Storage -
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HUBIC Storage -

Got an email today for HUBIC -- OVH's Sotrage offering.
http://mj.ovh.com/nl/0qtl/srti3.html

Sure Looks like a killer at 10TB for 50Eur.

Is anyone using this for purely VPS backup purposes ? How do you upload backup images to it ? via Webdav or is there any API that Can be used ?

Also need to know if there is any Max. Filesize limit (per file).

Hows the Reliability otherwise ?

Comments

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited March 2015

Use the backup command of their official linux package:

https://forums.hubic.com/showthread.php?272-hubiC-for-Linux-beta-is-out-!

They claim no max filesize.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2015

Loved the service but lately I've found their website intermittently slow and they won't accept my card anymore. I'm out of patience, not worth contacting support. Everything I receive is in French, still. It feels kind of half-assed all around. Moving on from Hubic, will be storing my stuff on S3.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited March 2015

Thanks @Traffic, will check out.

@Jar, what costs do you expect for S3? do you think it can be closer to 10Eur for 100GB and year ? if so, I'm going to think over for s3 as well.

Noticed and old thread here
    @mikho, any updates from you ? did you ever used hubic ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

mehargags said: what costs do you expect for S3?

Their calculator has me at $2.85/m for storing 100GB, which I'll be using a good bit less than actually. Upload bandwidth is free so that's certainly nice.

http://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@mehargags said:

Noticed and old thread here
    mikho, any updates from you ? did you ever used hubic ?

I've only used hubic with windows machines.

• cassacassa Member

Still, that 10Mbit/s limit sucks.

• @cassa said:

Where does it say that?

• cassacassa Member

In the TOS

• Jar said: Moving on from Hubic, will be storing my stuff on S3

Give me a shout on this, Yomura has S3 compatible storage and next month we have Delimiter offering it as well.

Thanked by 2jar mehargags
  • @cassa said:
    In the TOS

Oh, I see. That's a shame.

• pailypaily Member

@cassa said:

There is no 10mbit's limit for me. I can upload with full speed (100mbit's).

• MarkTurner said: Yomura has S3 compatible storage and next month we have Delimiter offering it as well.

Will this be in the EU?

• @cassa said:

Limit you say? Uploading from online.net dedi:

• I verified that 3 datacenter locations are in France, so not the best option for working in US and Southamerica, I guess.

• blackblack Member

A response to amazon's offer for unlimited storage? I think so.

• From Online.net DC:

• linuxthefish said: Will this be in the EU?

We have EU, NA and Asia. I expect Delimiter will take all 3 regions

• cassa said: Still, that 10Mbit/s limit sucks.

it's only via the web interface though. the system clients are not limited

Thanked by 1cassa
  • cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Why not use runabove object storage ? Its also a very cheap option.

• cfgguy said: Why not use runabove object storage ? Its also a very cheap option.

you cannot get much cheap than 5 euro for 10TB!

• What are the options for uploading content for windows users? web interface or any client?

• TheKiller said: What are the options for uploading content for windows users? web interface or any client?

both on hubic

• ziditzidit Member

Can anyone explain how this work for backup vps server?

I need to have hubic account and one linux server (to run hubic app)? Do server that tun hubic app need to have storage space to store backup file locally?

• cassacassa Member

No PayPal? ;(

• FalzoFalzo Member

you can mount hubic space via hubic-fuse but it doesn't work that well with rsync or even worse with rdiff-backup because of the underlying openstack/swift which doesn't handle data as other filesystems do. there are examples for something like renaming a file requires the whole data to be rewritten which leads to slow speeds with big files etc.
    dunno if they have dealt with such issues in the meantime though...
    from point of price definitely worth it!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2015

cfgguy said: Why not use runabove object storage ? Its also a very cheap option.

hubiC = 5EUR/10TB/mo
    RunAbove object storage = $0.01/GB/mo = $100/10TB/mo
    "Gee, I wonder why nobody considers the latter, I should ask on LET. After all it's only 20 times more expensive, so almost no difference."

Thanked by 3Nekki netomx dgprasetya
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2015

I wonder who will be the first smart ass to buy the 5EUR per 10TB hubic storage account and start reselling it at 5EUR per 1TB, wrapping it with a different API.

Thanked by 3paily netomx mehargags
  • @rm_ said:
    "Gee, I wonder why nobody considers the latter, I should ask on LET. After all it's only 20 times more expensive, so almost no difference."

Actually it's even cheaper if you pay yearly. 4.17€/mo.

• NomadNomad Member

Yesterday I tried to see if I can store files to Hubic, use hubicfuse and access those files from Plex. Not surprisingly it was a disaster. Maybe due to fuse filesystem it didn't work.

Other than that, moving files, renaming files was torture as well. Again, fuse...

So, maybe for only backups or storing stuff you don't want to move/rename it's a good and cheap way if used with hubicfuse.

Thanked by 1mehargags