Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

free vps control panel
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

free vps control panel

There are so many free web interface panels

The most popular seems to be
kloxo-mr, vestacp, zpanel/sentora, webmin/virtualmin, ajenti/v, centos-webpanel, froxlor, ispconfig, webuzo...

Please share your opinions

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

Vestacp is a good one, definitely not zPanel by any name.

• VestaCP, Ajenti. Hands down the best imo.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

CentOS Web Panel & VestaCP

• cociucociu Member

i try VestaCP and for us is good

• I would prefer Webuzo free version, it is really handy and quite the thing.

• ClancomsClancoms Member
    edited March 2015

i like webmin my self

• Ajenti biaaatchzzzz

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • Here we are again! :-)

Best for stability - features - flexibility is ISPconfig (in balance between aspcets)

The most powerful one with tons of features but not for a noobie, is Virtualmin/Webmin

Easy, fast but IMHO minimal in features, is Vesta CP (many people here like it, I do not like it so much, it is average, not superb)

Good in features, close to Cpanel logic in interface (especially the 7.x.x versions and new GUI) but weird in some aspcets because it is based in the original Kloxo logic, is Kloxo-MR

Webuzo is not free. The "free" version is very limited in options

Ajenti/v is basically a server management panel and not a web hosting panel. The web panel features are new, the options are minimal and the interface logic is a bit weird for me (I just installed it twice just for testing and I didn't use it for production environment ever)

Sentora could be a great panel. Very good interface, very easy to install, with tons of features. Could be the best alternative to CPanel, but many people are saying that it is extremely insecure. I am not a coder, so I cannot have an opinion on that. The discussions in LET and other forums are many, so, if anyone is willing to use it, he should read first the conversation about this panel ant desice himself.

Froxlor is an underrated web hosting panel. Similar to VestaCP but with more features and, IMHO, more stable.

Conclusion:

I use in most of my servers either ISPconfig or Virtualmin. I use in a couple of servers VestaCP and in another couple sentora. The last panel is not used in production environment but only for testing, not because of stability or features but because of security concerns. I like the new (7.x.x) version of Kloxo-MR and I have one floxlor fresh install to play with their latest update.
    So, +++ for ISPConfig and Virtualmin

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Ajenti is really good. Also love the UI, Vesta also looks good.

• saintsaint Member

wow, very nice summary, cool! which one takes up less server resource and with nice features?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@saint said:
    wow, very nice summary, cool! which one takes up less server resource and with nice features?

Kloxo-MR has been running for me on a 128MB box for about two years.

• akzakz Member

VestaCP clean and simple, gets the job done.

• webuzo! saves me a lot of time when working on different projects.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2015

saint said: wow, very nice summary, cool! which one takes up less server resource and with nice features?

I assume you are a noobie. If so, go with vestacp or froxlor.
    Kloxo-MR could be a pain-in-the-ass because it needs a lot of configuration to properly secure and customize it.
    Virtualmin/webmin is definatelly not for noobies and ISPConfig has a lot of work to be installed (although there are tons of different scenarios installation instructions in howtoforge, with extremely detailed step-by-step instructions even for dummies!).

As of recourses, I run virtualmin/webmin in a 128MB single core vps with mysql and all aspects without a single problem. Vesta and froxlor are not heavy but I would suggest to use anything from 256MB Ram and more. ISPConfig has to do with what service will you install there, because actually it is not a panel itself but a complete web GUI for a ton of services you install.
    Kloxo-MR can run on a 128MB box, but in my experience it will have stability issues when you upload there a live site with real traffic. If you chose it, I would suggest to use 512MB Ram and more.

Remember: If you want mail services, then, you have to use spamassassign/clamav. Those services alone will need at least 110-120MB Ram and you cannot get them run and do first update (freshclam) in anything smaller than 512MB RAM (with a lot of hacking you can run it in 256MB but it is definatelly NOT recommended)

Thanked by 1saint
  • Regarding VestaCp. I stumbled upon this: https://github.com/louislam/vestacp-crossover-adminlte

I installed it on a test server and it looks nice. Unfinished but promising.

• DeanDean Member

For basic website hosting I prefer ServerPilot.io; I install it and just leave it to do its thing.

• I have tested all of them. The best ones are :

1. CWP
    2. ISPConfig
    3. Froxlor & VestaCP
  • saintsaint Member

@DeanKamitsis said:
    For basic website hosting I prefer ServerPilot.io; I install it and just leave it to do its thing.

It has a free version, seems only support 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 or 14.04.

• fiendfiend Member

if virtualmin/webmin had builtin nginx (or lighttpd or hiawatha) reverse proxy i would go with them, but they dont and im not up for hacks, froxlor is too basic, ispconfig and kloxo-mr are full featured, but weird to setup and both sometimes break on updates, vestacp lacks in features but at least is stable, easy to configure and has all the basic features you want, same goes with centmin mod (if you want something more lightweight) or serverpilot (if you have a server/kvm and some extra ram), so those are the ones i use!

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Looks nice! Will take a closer look at it later on.

• virtualmin all the way

• @fiend said:
    if virtualmin/webmin had builtin nginx (or lighttpd or hiawatha) reverse proxy i would go with them, but they dont and im not up for hacks, froxlor is too basic, ispconfig and kloxo-mr are full featured, but weird to setup and both sometimes break on updates, vestacp lacks in features but at least is stable, easy to configure and has all the basic features you want, same goes with centmin mod (if you want something more lightweight) or serverpilot (if you have a server/kvm and some extra ram), so those are the ones i use!

Installing and using nginx on virtualmin is easy ,and it is not a hack

https://virtualmin.com/documentation/web/nginx

• @Saragoldfarb said:
    Regarding VestaCp. I stumbled upon this: https://github.com/louislam/vestacp-crossover-adminlte

I installed it on a test server and it looks nice. Unfinished but promising.

i tried it on my own to make a good looking template but this is just wow! Thank you.

• @Mridul said:
    I have tested all of them. The best ones are :

1. CWP
    2. ISPConfig
    3. Froxlor & VestaCP

Have you tested VirtualMin?

• fiendfiend Member

@Rolter said: Installing and using nginx on virtualmin is easy ,and it is not a hack

if you read what i wrote i said reverse proxy :P and anything you add to virtualmin/webmin that isnt out of the box is kinda a hack, dont get me wrong i like their software it is hyper stable ( its the debian of management/hosting control panels :D ) but its incrediblyyyyyyyy slow to add new features and instead of having their own software stack they depend on the operating systems (just like ispconfig), so you get weird options showing up depending on what you have installed/updated, you might get mysql on one version and mariadb on another when their software should determine what is installed what is updated and your choices!

• @fiend said:
    if you read what i wrote i said reverse proxy :P and anything you add to virtualmin/webmin that isnt out of the box is kinda a hack, dont get me wrong i like their software it is hyper stable ( its the debian of management/hosting control panels :D ) but its incrediblyyyyyyyy slow to add new features and instead of having their own software stack they depend on the operating systems (just like ispconfig), so you get weird options showing up depending on what you have installed/updated, you might get mysql on one version and mariadb on another when their software should determine what is installed what is updated and your choices!

Weird , i am using virtualmin + nginx (with reverse proxy configured) ..

Ofc you do need to edit the config files either via the virtualmin nginx server panel or the raw configuration files.

I will confess though , i am a virtualmin fanboy , i love it a lot for what it has indirectly taught me about managing a linux server .

• I also vouch for Vesta. Use it for mailing scripts )

• emgemg Veteran
    edited March 2015

Great comments here, especially from @jvnadr. I would appreciate additional discussion regarding the security of each of these products, too. I have seen many negative comments in the past regarding the security of kloxo, for example.

Can someone (@jvnadr perhaps?) rank or summarize the security of each of these panels (or the effort required to ensure that they are secure)? Thanks!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2015

@emg I am not a security expert nor a coder myself, so, I cannot have my own opinion about how secure is any panel coded. What I know is this:
    Never heard a single complain about the security of Virtualmin/Webmin. It is one of the oldest out there and, even if the interface smells... '90s, it can do a great job and it is extremely mature. Don't forget that it is the free version of a paid product.
    ISPConfig is not a panel but an interface. You setup all the aspects of the server, so, you really control security. Howtoforge have extremely detailed different scenario of setups and I also didn't hear ever any complain about security.
    On the other side, I have read a lot security concerns about mostly Sentora, but also for VestaCP, and from respected members here and in WHT. I have never faced a hacked server that I installed those two panels, but I did secure the server as much as I could.
    I read a lot of security concerns about CentosWebPanel recently in WHT, but the coder responded to most of them. Is it poorly coded? I dunna know.

The most secured server would be one without a GUI. Text only! Even then, there will always be a fear of hacking (softwares and coding inside the server, hacked node, other holes etc.).
    Whatever panel you decide to use, make sure that you will take all necessary steps to firstly secure your naked server (ssh keys, fail2ban, secure passwords, firewall, change ports etc.). Scan the server frequently with root hunters. Install clamav, especially if you use it also as a mail server. And update frequently all the pieces of software inside the box, and the web panel itself. Monitor your server and take actions immediately when you face appropriate behavior (large outcoming packets, spamming etc.).

And take backups. A lot of backups in different online and offline locations. I take at least one backup of any of my servers in different location daily and at least a live rsync'ed mirror of any of my sites/apps/mails/db in a third server. And I also keep daily/weekly/monthly backups in seperate server of my single sites (not the whole server infrastracture).
    Crazy? Maybe, but this saved me a lot of times with different several catastrophic scenarios (from closure of a provider to wiping a site by mistake!).