Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

virtualbox image on dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

virtualbox image on dedicated server

plumbergplumberg Veteran

I have the EU 3 servers from online.net.

I have a Virtual Box image containing Ubuntu and some other applications pre configured. Is there any way I can extract or use the OS from VirtualBox image and configure my server to boot to that?

Comments

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited March 2015
    1. Boot your dedi into their rescue disk.

2. Log into rescue disk on dedi.

3. Determine the hard disk's device path on said dedi, IE /dev/sda or something similar.

4. Boot your virtualbox machine to system rescue cd.

5. On your virtualbox machine, determine your disk device path, ie /dev/sda.

6. If disk device path is different, mount your main hard disk to somewhere, such as /mnt/host (don't do /mnt, system rescue cd goes there somewhere) and change the fstab. Make sure to umount it afterwards. ALSO: Make sure to update your networking config.

7. dd if=/dev/sda bs=1048576 | gzip -9c | ssh [email protected] "gzip -9d | dd of=/dev/sda bs=1048576"

8. Reboot dedi.

I'm sure someone else is going to correct me in terms of what is faster, feel free. This way has worked for me in the past though.

• Rallias said: isk.

Determine the hard disk's device pat

Wow, this is detailed. I have got to try. I just need some patience on this.