Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows server not detecting correct HDD space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows server not detecting correct HDD space

RurikoRuriko Member

I bought a dedi server from hetzner which has 2x3TB space. I installed windows server 2012 R2 on it and it only detected 2TB space. How can I fix it to make it see 2x3TB space?

Comments

• did you disable raid?

and what motherboard is your server using?

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited March 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    did you disable raid?

and what motherboard is your server using?

I don't know if raid is disabled cause I didn't take a look at BIOS. Motherboard is ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8H67-M PRO

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

open diskmgmt.msc and see if the server knows about your disks.
    If not, could be set as RAID and then you would only see one disk.

• MBR has a limit of 2TB. You need to install it as a GPT disk to have full display of over 2TB or create a bunch of 2TB partitions.

• @mikho said:
    open diskmgmt.msc and see if the server knows about your disks.
    If not, could be set as RAID and then you would only see one disk.

Yea it knows it has 2 disks

• Ruriko said: Yea it knows it has 2 disks

then use storage spaces and make a data volume

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Ruriko said: Yea it knows it has 2 disks

Are both online and enabled ?

• @doughmanes said:
    MBR has a limit of 2TB. You need to install it as a GPT disk to have full display of over 2TB or create a bunch of 2TB partitions.

Unfortunately that's not possible, Windows (even the last 2012 R2) cannot be installed onto a GPT partition, Windows just doesn't allow it/support it.

You have a couple of options:

1) If you have a RAID card you can create two vDisks, one say 200GB and one the remaining 2.8TB. Install Windows to the 200GB vDisk and format the remaining space for data install.

2) Install to one disk and lose ~1TB of space and format the 2nd disk at GPT and use the entire 3TB of space.

3) Install Linux on a GPT parition, install KVM and run Windows inside a virtual machine effectively allowing you to do the same as if you have a RAID card.

• leckley said: 2) Install to one disk and lose ~1TB of space and format the 2nd disk at GPT and use the entire 3TB of space.

he wont loose 1TB, he can simply make a say 200GB partition then use the rest in a storage spaces volume

• edanedan Member
    edited March 2015

Those mobo support UEFI mode so you can using all of the space 2 x 3TB. Windows server 2012 R2 support GPT/UEFI https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825112.aspx or https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824898.aspx

Setting up RAID 1 for my Hetzner box http://i.imgur.com/Ik4VhTV.jpg?1

Request LARA access and than change the BIOS manually to UEFI mode.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • ^ did a GPT/UEFI install for a customer about 2 weeks ago. It worked.

• leckleyleckley Member
    edited March 2015

@TarZZ92 said:

Incorrect, the Windows installer won't allow you to make such a configuration as the MBR is limited to 2TB.

Only chance you may have will be to use something like gParted to format it before you attempt the Windows install, but it will likely throw an error.

That said, you can use UEFI if the BIOS supports it.

• If your BIOS doesn't support UEFI, leave your provider who racks a bunch of eBay junk

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited March 2015

leckley said: Incorrect, the Windows installer won't allow you to make such a configuration as the MBR is limited to 2TB.

read what i said..

main partiton 200GB
    The rest for storage spaces

and if you bothered to look you would see the MB supports UEFI/GPT

• leckleyleckley Member
    edited March 2015

@TarZZ92 said:

I read exactly what you posted, not to worry there.

Without using UEFI you cannot simply create two partitions, Windows won't allow you to address beyond 2TB on the physical disk you install the OS too - the partitions have no bearing on this at all. You may be able to "fool" the Windows installer using something like gParted like I mentioned, but thats about it.

Hence why you can skip UEFI when using a RAID card, as the OS sees each vDisk as a separate physical drive when they really aren't.

All in all, your statement either is wrong or makes little to no sense as there is no point is making the smaller partition if you are using UEFI.

• leckley said: All in all, your statement either is wrong or makes little to no sense as there is no point is making the smaller partition if you are using UEFI.

it's you that makes no sense. and that hetzner server does not use a raid card (unless it's another special). i am someone who has had this same problem. and got around it the way i said above. using Storage spaces.

• Did you go into Create and format disk Partions? AKA Disk Management

I've not read above, unsure if you're using RAID.

However if you're not, it might be you need to allocate it to a drive;