Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HELP! can't connect to VNC with a shared IP/NAT?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HELP! can't connect to VNC with a shared IP/NAT?

Please be patient, I'm a noob.

Hi,

I bought a VPS from natvps.uk who offer 20 NAT IPV4 ports + /96 IPV6, So basically I have 1 Public IPv4 address that everyone uses, with my own Local IP. To SSH I get generated a Username and Password and connect to that Public IP using those details. I have set up the TightVNC server however I cannot connect to the server as I have a shared IP. Is there any workaround?

BTW: I'm running debian 7

Comments

• Forwarded ports are randomly closed, and good luck with not getting suspended for cpu :(

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Did you set your VNC server to listen on one of your allocated ports?

You can connect you just use the shared IP + your ports.

No offence but I dont understand why people find this concept so hard, its exactly the same way a home router and PC work and that has been common since 1999 (ish) your router holds the external (SHARED) IP and if you want to connect to your home pc/laptop etc you forward the ports on your router.

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Did you set your VNC server to listen on one of your allocated ports?

You can connect you just use the shared IP + your ports.

No offence but I dont understand why people find this concept so hard, its exactly the same way a home router and PC work and that has been common since 1999 (ish) your router holds the external (SHARED) IP and if you want to connect to your home pc/laptop etc you forward the ports on your router.

What I don't understand is why people order a NAT vps if they don't understand the basics of how to use it. Is $1-2/month for a vps with a dedicated IP really going to kill you? NAt'd vps are great if you know what you're doing of course and would like to save some change.

Thanked by 2rm_ wych
  • belinikbelinik Member
    edited March 2015

because people don't know what is nat, in home router the term NAT rarely shows up(especially with all those quick startup wizard, isp preset config and just giving you the wireless password... etc) :(.

it's like basic desktop tech, nowadays many people can fix computer because it was made very simple(stick the disk in... repair and let the wizard and update do everything). Then when it's your turn trying to find out how come the graphic card is not working you will notice there is no driver installed(not as bad nowadays but years ago...)

just assign the listening port in tightvnc to one of the 20 port you have been assigned.

• I agree totally with what @Jonchun and @AnthonySmith have said, I got myself into this not knowing anything about Linux, VPSs or networking at all. I didn't expect it to be easy, but I didn't expect to be hard to find tutorials or guides on how to do what I wanted to do. I was wrong. You may ask why I bought it if I had no clue what I was doing, $2.50 for a year is money I could loose and not care about, So why not. I really do appreciate you guys helping me.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • @deeetroit said:
    I agree totally with what Jonchun and AnthonySmith have said, I got myself into this not knowing anything about Linux, VPSs or networking at all. I didn't expect it to be easy, but I didn't expect to be hard to find tutorials or guides on how to do what I wanted to do. I was wrong. You may ask why I bought it if I had no clue what I was doing, $2.50 for a year is money I could loose and not care about, So why not. I really do appreciate you guys helping me.

http://nixcraft.com/showthread.php/12152-Change-Vncserver-port

Use a port that you have assigned.

• It's natvps.Uk

AKA Mr. Matthew Morgan whom is banned here and on many Other sites

• FritzFritz Veteran

TinyTunnel_Tom said: It's natvps.Uk

Why is it? Nat King is quite good.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    It's natvps.Uk

That has nothing to do with the user who can't understand how to set it up.
    Your beef with Matthew has noting to do with this thread. Keep it on topic or stay out of it.

• @mikho said:
    Your beef with Matthew has noting to do with this thread. Keep it on topic or stay out of it.

The fact is his port forwarding doesn't work. Which is what I am aiming at. He also would be a provider I wouldn't recommend

• Follow those steps (I assume that you have console access to your NAT vps. If not, search for tutorials how to access thru putty a NAT vps)

Find your vnc.conf file.

There must be a line like vncPort = 5900 + $displayNumber;

Change 5900 port to one from the range that you can use with your NAT vps

restart tightvnc (or restart server and make sure your vns server has started).

Then, you can connect with a vnc client using xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:mynewport

• @jvnadr @jonchun: Thanks for the help, I'm currently asking what ports I was assigned as when I went to check using netstat it showed four ports that were listening, not 20 and the four ports that were shown were being used. I may be doing it wrong idk.

@TinyTunnel_Tom: I have noticed people talking about him (after I bought it), I'm not gonna lie it took over 48 hours for my VPS to be setup.

Listening ports and available ports are not the same thing.

Listening means that you have something using those ports.
    The assigned ports are in the welcome email, are they not?

• @Mikho I feel like an idiot... Sorry for being a F*cking noob.

• @deeetroit said:
    Mikho I feel like an idiot... Sorry for being a F*cking noob.

Don't be. We all have to start somewhere. If you are still interested in NAT try http://lowendspirit.com

Thanked by 1netomx

@deeetroit said:
    Mikho I feel like an idiot... Sorry for being a F*cking noob.

We have all felt like idiots sometimes, often after staring at a problem for many hours without understanding why.
    Go outside for some fresh air and try again. :)