Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

running centos with haraka mail server with spam,virus filtering. enough resources?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

running centos with haraka mail server with spam,virus filtering. enough resources?

hi all,
i am planning on running a mail server using haraka and i want it to have all the virus and spam filtering i can get on it to prevent spam.
Now i want to start with a cheap VPS and increase it when i can afford it.
i was just wondering. do you think 1GB RAM, 1Core would be enough to run something like this? or it would end up crashing? i know it can depend on the amount of emails so i would say maybe 100 emails per hour to start with. I was looking at the Linode 1GB as i like the idea of using a loadbalancer they supply so i can add on more nodes when needed. unless someone else can recommend something else with a similair loadbalancer service?
thanks.

Comments

• You can't go wrong with Linode.

• This should be under Requests I would say. Do you have a budget in mind?

• sorry if in wrong section. i am more asking if 1GB would be enough, not requesting a provider :-)

• Is there any specific reason that you would like to have AS/AV filtering happening on the same server? It can take quite a lot of CPU (up to 60%-80% with SpamAssassin+ClamAV+Amavisd stack)

• i was thinking of having a gateway server for all the filtering but then that would be a single point of failure if it went down. so i was thinking maybe putting the filtering on each individual server because if one goes down the others will still be there.

• One gateway server is a good idea on one hand. On the other hand, as you have outlined, makes it a single point of failure. With a distributed setup (running multiple instances of SpamAssassin, etc), makes it harder to implement learning, as then the servers would be using different set of rules and the filtering on one server would be different from another one (depending on the customers hosted on that specific server)