Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for 30TB+ Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for 30TB+ Storage

Needs to be relatively reliable will be used to crunch all of my numbers.

Comments

• wychwych Member

How much bandwidth do you need?

• @wych said:

Oh forgot about RAID 10 SSD and unmetered bandwidth. :P

• How much time do you expect this number crunching would take?

• wychwych Member
    edited March 2015

@rds100 said:
    How much time do you expect this number crunching would take?

Pretty much do you want a machine to crunch the numbers or just store the data...

• TythusTythus Member
    edited March 2015

@wych said:
    Pretty much do you want a machine to crunch the numbers or just store the data...

Not much any number crunching would be over view crunching sorting the wheat from the chaff simple rules most of the heavy number crunching would happen off the server

@wych said:

I would be looking at 50-60mbit ingress and 5mbit egress

• Storage is easy, how do you want to access it? You want this attached to a server or some form of object store?

• TythusTythus Member
    edited March 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    Storage is easy, how do you want to access it? You want this attached to a server or some form of object store?

Ideally I would just add to a mysql database but the save method is pretty irrelevant for me it's whatever makes most sense.

• So this is going to be for a giant MySQL database? How are you going to interface from the MySQL to the storage/

• wychwych Member

@Tythus said:
    Ideally in mysql but the save method is pretty irrelevant for me it's whatever makes most sense.

So you want a SQL server with 30TB storage?

• TravTrav Member

30TB of storage for $7 a month? Impossible!

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

We have;
    E5 12Thread @ 2.1Ghz
    48GB RAM ECC
    48TB HDD
    $390/month

Or, an 30TB NFS storage mount for $300 (RAID6)

https://secure.bigvps.io/cart.php?gid=2

Thanked by 1muratai
  • TythusTythus Member
    edited March 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    So this is going to be for a giant MySQL database? How are you going to interface from the MySQL to the storage

I said ideally the storage method is a non-issue for me I could make it save as xmal files or use csv I don't really care what method is useable

@pbgben said:
    We have;
    E5 12Thread @ 2.1Ghz
    48GB RAM ECC
    48TB HDD
    $390/month

Or, an 30TB NFS storage mount for $300 (RAID6)

https://secure.bigvps.io/cart.php?gid=2

If I get the server what bandwidth would I get with this?

• iSkyiSky Member

wow 30TB data, how long it will take to upload it ? and really curious for the DB size 30TB

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2015

@iSk ask the NSA or GSQH i bet they have something bigger than that.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • @Tythus - there are so many options:

Server with local storage (you will need large number of spindles for decent IO performance on a database that side)

Server with NFS storage (you will need a large number of spindles again, jumbo frame for any decent throughput, etc, etc). You are NOT going to want to do this over the Internet because you will have no predictable performance, no jumbo frame support and virtually no sensible security.

Object store - depends on how you are managing this data

If you can PM me with your use case, I can give you a better set of options. Specifically what database are you using, what is the datasource, how are you processing.

I have helped scale some pretty crazy sized (multi PB) databases over the past few years and optimised existing ones.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Tythus said:
    If I get the server what bandwidth would I get with this?

1GBit connection, no transfer limit.