Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Why Linode Doesn't Suck!" - a non-personal non-rant
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Why Linode Doesn't Suck!" - a non-personal non-rant

PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
edited September 2012 in General

After @Chief posted the thread - "Why Linode Sucks" - A Personal Rant - there where a few folks who tried to defend Linode. Aside from the usual gripes that @Chief listed, along with older hardware and mediocre customer service (I bet they are great on the small trivial stuff), I don't have anything bad to say about them. Then again, I am not a long time - long term customer. I had a VPS there on and off, but I have found them to be expensive for what they provide and very (extremely) stubborn. Now I want to ask, and give a fair chance, to those that have something positive to say about Linode to go ahead and say it. Please, start the praising!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

I'm not defending them, I just think we (as a community of providers) think about DDOS differently than a lot of end users. A lot of people have raved about their support. There are a lot of people who will never see a DDOS unless someone types the wrong IP.

I'd say after Chief's post I won't recommend them to anyone, and certainly their feature set isn't worth the cost to many in my opinion, but someone hosting a tiny website on it (and over paying, but people do that all the time so no use crying about it) won't hear me say "You better move before you get a DDOS!"

It's all about perspective. They're obviously successful, it can't be 100% koolaid. If they were treating all their customers like trash and meeting none of their needs I don't see how they'd have so many. I mean I know people are often swayed by a brand and are blinded by it to an extent, but after a while it wears off if it doesn't do what it's supposed to. Overestimating stupidity is no more logical than underestimating it. A $500,000 car still pisses you off when it won't get you to work, no matter how proud you are of the name and the receipt.

• @jarland These guys where absolute pioneers, and I used to look up them. Lately when they started with the stupid (idiotic I might say) customer testimonials and then @Chief having the issues he wrote about, now PointHQ having issues with them, they're pretty much done in my book. Oh, and try requesting extra IPs for your VPS. No doubt, they are big, they do business with SoftLayer which says allot about their size.

I called SoftLayer 6 months ago and I couldn't get a definitive price out of them unless I would give them specs for at least a three dozen servers. The guy told me that I had to be very specific because 10TB of bandwidth cost $700 / month. I asked, candidly: "Is it sprinkled with magical fairy dust?". He said no, adding that he was being serious. I said fck that and moved on. My point is that when you're a INC500 company and you do business with another Corporate Oxygen Sucker (tm) like SoftLayer you kind of catch the bug and become a class A ashole if you catch my drift.

Hosting is not the only business that I got involved in, and while I managed to get my brother on board and two of my friends, I am still doing most of the heavy lifting. In my experience when dealing with a large company or corporation you are pretty much screwed, because they will never bend over backwards for you and they will always try to force you to do what they want while ripping you off, and while all this is happening they want you to smile and be happy. This is true for other industries as well, not just web hosting.

By the way, you're from NC, me to, Winston Salem.

edited September 2012

Actually east Texas, but we host in NC now ;)

I hear you. I've had plenty of great experiences with large corporations though. You just gotta remember that they're run by people, and if you treat them like people and try to have honest dialogue, sometimes you'll get the same in return. Obviously not if it's Linode and your IP is under attack. I see a lot of people go after a corporation like "You're rich, give me what I want, you can spare it." That's a good way to get the corporate boot and the automatically generated responses.

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited September 2012

@jarland Depends on the type of business you're doing. Lets just say that I dealt with freight brokers and they aren't the most pleasant people to deal with.

Where about in east Texas (if you don't mind me asking)? Do you host in the Google Data Center in Lenoir, NC?

Hallsville but moving back to Longview. It's Dacentec that we're using. I can't express just how awesome they've been to deal with.

• @jarland That's what a good company will do for you :) Haven't been to Longview in about 6 years, but it's pretty nice over there :)

Thanked by 1jar

Nice is one way to put it ;)

• @jarland you still haven't contacted me for lunch :O..... in white oak now.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Well, seeing how no one is posting a "praise" comment about Linode - I can pretty much see how the community feels about them.

@jarland It sure is. But hey, if you ever get tired of Texas, you're more than welcome to move to NC. It's nice here, especially Charlotte and Raleigh.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jarland Dacentec is awesome. Got a half rack there, shipped servers, things were setup in less then 24 hour.
    Support and service is solid. Only if they would lower their IP price.

Thanked by 1jar

@Corey Yeah I've been stuck in Hallsville working mostly from home, now that that's over it's time to catch up on the social opportunities. I think I'm tired of conversing with the iMac!

• @vpsnodebox linode is not a LEB. I doubt a lot of people here actually even bothered to try their service (thank you buyvm).

• I using linode few years back. I dont remember the year. and I'm really happy with their server. my server uptime and speed fast enough for me. we only host 1 website and 1 forum there. after 1-2 years we moving to dedicated server because we need more resource. I never get ddossed so I dont hace any experience how they handle ddos thing.

what ever people say I will still recommended linode to my friend, why? because I have use them and happy. I'll never tell people to not using any provider if I dont ever use them. there'is no provider that will make everyone happy. even the support reply every 10 minutes and fixing the problem fast people still blame them.

• @tommy 1st positive comment. Keep them coming guys :)

• @jarland, when are you gonna bite me?;-)

• I don't know what your agenda is, vpsnodebox, with these repeated attempts to discredit and belittle Linode. A comment like, "I bet they are great on the small trivial stuff" is called damning with faint praise, and makes this thread just as ill-founded as your other posts in Chief's topic.

If you don't like Linode, don't use them. Repeatedly posting negative comments about a reputable, long-established provider makes you look stupid. Really, you need to develop some business professionalism if you expect your little enterprise to survive.

Several times in your postings you've used the phrase "the community". If you want to contribute to "the community", I suggest you work on writing something constructive and useful. I look forward to reading it.

• I always thought of Linode as a high end premium provider that was "bomb proof" pretty much; after reading @Cheif's post I think I'll be staying away from them, then again, a DDOS can happen to anybody, and everybody handles it differently, I feel that linode should be a little bit more community involved when it comes to DDOS.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Since the bitcoin affair there were more and bad reports about bad hardware and rude staff. They also have commercial success, so I think it comes with that.
    That is a good thing, actually, as the mighty are falling, there is place for the little guys to get born.
    M

• PhoenixVPSPhoenixVPS Member
    edited September 2012

Please honk if you think that @sleddog has some kind of affiliation to Linode. Seriously, this is a tread meant for positive comments about Linode, but sadly it got de-railed.

On another note, please take a look around about what other community members are saying about Linode. I wanted to give them a fair chance and I opened this thread so that those who wanted to, could say nice - positive - reinforcing things about Linode.

Please direct your future comments here: lowendtalk.com/discussion/4706/why-linode-sucks-a-personal-rant - it's where the negative comments about Linode go.

• @Jack I agree, I should have used 'de-railed' :)

• @vpsnodebox said: Please honk if you think that @sleddog has some kind of affiliation to Linode.

Sigh. Another baseless conclusion. Plus it demonstrates your poor research skills ;)

@Zen said: No I just think he argues for the sake of argument.

In a sense, yes. When I see something that warrants an argument I don't hesitate to provide one.

• @sleddog I am not going to waste time "researching" you. I can't, I won't, hell, it doesn't even make any sense! It's an open forum, people talk, have, occasionally bash, who cares? It's irrelevant. If your life revolves around this, well, I feel sorry for you, maybe you need to go outside more.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@vpsnodebox said: If your life revolves around this, well, I feel sorry for you, maybe you need to go outside more.

Cool down sir, you lost your heatsync or something? (Bad joke but my point stands).

• @Infinity Sorry, I am not upset or angry or anything like that. I was just trying to calm down @sleddog as I see that he's taking this a bit to personal. Again, you have my apologies, thank you for understanding.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@vpsnodebox said: @Infinity Sorry, I am not upset or angry or anything like that. I was just trying to calm down @sleddog as I see that he's taking this a bit to personal. Again, you have my apologies, thank you for understanding.

S'alright, @sleddog is just taking pride in his arguments, sometimes we need to agree to disagree and leave it as that. By the way, I'm saying this as an ordinary person (I'd like to think I'm ordinary) as opposed to as a moderator or official figure. :)

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited September 2012

@vpsnodebox said: I am not going to waste time "researching" you

... but you present your conclusion anyway. That's what I mean by a baseless conclusion.

@vpsnodebox said: If your life revolves around this, well, I feel sorry for you

... don't be silly. Your opinion on [insert topic here] is really meaningless to me.

Have a really nice day, honest!

• @sleddog I apologize if I have offended you or Linode in any shape or form. It was just a friendly discussion. Thank you for comments, opinions and thoughts. I wish you a great day as well :)

• @vpsnodebox said: I apologize if I have offended you or Linode in any shape or form.

You didn't offend me; I can't speak for Linode. :)

Cheers.

• @sleddog I care about Linode about as much as they care for me. I was apologizing for your sake, not for theirs :) I hope you understand why I mean.

Have a good one :)