Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Failed to install vestacp on vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Failed to install vestacp on vps

I was trying to install vestacp on bandwagonhost 512 ram vps many times but always failed.
The installation process always stop at a certain point, I tried with centos 6 and debian 7 and it's always the same.

Installation can't be completed, After closing putty i can't reconnect anymore.

In vps admin panel I found the ram is fully used and the swap too, this is strange because I have installed vestacp on a 256 ram vps without any problem.

They replied my ticket and said they didn't see any issues with my vps.

I really have no idea with it, anyone can help?

Comments

• Try update os first with 'yum clean all; yum update' (for CentOS) before installing.

I found memory issue in old version of CentOS 6 when install Kloxo-MR in OpenVZ with memory less then 1GB.

• saintsaint Member

Thank you, I'll try it

• saintsaint Member

-bash: yum: command not found

what's wrong?

• Yum only for CentOS.

Thanked by 1saint
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Can you post the exact error message that you get when the installation stops?
    The problem that you can't reconnect could be if iptables has an incomplete set of rules.

Thanked by 1saint
  • saintsaint Member
    edited March 2015

@mustafaramadhan said:
    Yum only for CentOS.

ah, sorry, i select wrong OS by mistake :)

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Please provide your vps details @ [email protected] :) ill have it sorted for you.

Note: Please change your password immediately post our work.

Thanked by 1saint

@BharatB said:
    Please provide your vps details @ [email protected] :) ill have it sorted for you.

Note: Please change your password immediately post our work.

Why?
    He is not your customer. If you want to provide help then please write it in a way that lets the user know that you are willing to help. Free of charge or state your price before any information is exchanged.

@mikho said:

If I wanted to charge him , I would mention it here however I want to help for free. Also exchanging passwords even if it was in a private message in a forum can be deadly so I don't wanna take risk and then get blamed. I hope that justified your question.

• wychwych Member

@BharatB I thought he just meant clarify that your offering administration services and clarify if the work was for free or paid.

• I had the same problem with bwh and xvmlabs, I don't know if it's the same but for me the problem was that bwh gives you a different port for ssh (not 22) and vestacp in the new version has a firewall, so if you change the port to the standard 22 before installing it won't stop.

Thanked by 1saint

@wych said:
    BharatB I thought he just meant clarify that your offering administration services and clarify if the work was for free or paid.

Well to suggest anything first we need to look inside the vps for what kind of errors he is facing , work is free :) . I apologize for misguided comment :)

• saintsaint Member

@mikho said:
    Can you post the exact error message that you get when the installation stops?
    The problem that you can't reconnect could be if iptables has an incomplete set of rules.

installation always stucked here

What @wych said.
    I for one is very suspicious against people who are eager to help when not asked.
    It always makes me wonder what hidden agenda they might have.

I could also offer my help but it won't be for free, I don't work for free.
    I will however try to help (for free) on forums with hopes that the requester will learn something.

• saintsaint Member

@mustafaramadhan said:
    Try update os first with 'yum clean all; yum update' (for CentOS) before installing.

I found memory issue in old version of CentOS 6 when install Kloxo-MR in OpenVZ with memory less then 1GB.

Tried, no use :(
    Maybe it's not a memory issue.

• saintsaint Member

@ScienceOnline said:
    I had the same problem with bwh and xvmlabs, I don't know if it's the same but for me the problem was that bwh gives you a different port for ssh (not 22) and vestacp in the new version has a firewall, so if you change the port to the standard 22 before installing it won't stop.

There's no changing port option in vps admin panel, How to change port in putty?

@saint said:
    There's no changing port option in vps admin panel, How to change port in putty?

depending on the OS , if its centos please go to /etc/ssh/sshd_config , there you'll see a option call Port replace 22 with your desired port.

Thanked by 1saint
  • DeanDean Member

I also had that issue; afterwards I always change SSH port after install (or do it from console).

Thanked by 1saint

The installation doesn't drop your existing connection so if you connected on port 22 (or didn't specify a port whwn connecting) it should stay open until YOU disconnect.

From the screenshot I sense that something already is installed that Vesta tries to install again and then it fails.
    Reinstall the vps, run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.
    Then apt-get remove iptables
    Then try to install again.

• adxnadxn Member, Host Rep

Install VestaCP on CentOS 6 but before that update server! I was too having same issue but it worked fine in CentOS6

• DeanDean Member
    edited March 2015

Unfortunately it does @mikho.. Done it on different providers and done tests with and without. The firewall gets reinstalled during the install process and the connection then drops if the ssh port was changed before install. Usually install continues in the background and if you entered a genuine email address at the start then you get a welcome email with the login info.

Then you manually need to go in and change the port in the firewall afterwards in vesta too

@DeanKamitsis said:
    Unfortunately it does mikho..

Strange, must have done 20 or so installs on different providers and virt techniques and never had this issue.
    Not even on servers with different ssh ports.

On a side not, I once activated the firewall with an empty ruleset and was disconnected in that case since everything was set to drop so it is a possible scenario.

Had to use the console to get access back. :)

@Saint can you connect to the console via your control panel and see what the status is from there?

• saintsaint Member

Hi, everyone.
    Thanks for your help, after changing port to 22, the installation finally completed!

Thanks agin

• @saint said:
    Hi, everyone.
    Thanks for your help, after changing port to 22, the installation finally completed!

Thanks agin

Now that you've learned how to change that port for better security you can change it again, but you have to go in firewall tab, in vestacp, and add the the port you choose on TCP / SSH.