Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Launching VpsInChicago.com - Need Suggestions

Launching VpsInChicago.com - Need Suggestions

JeffreyJeffrey Member
edited September 2012 in General

Hello, a few friends and I will be launching http://vpsinchicago.com. We will be selling XEN-PV VPS's in Chicago and Dedicated Servers in Chicago with the Xen Citrix Server allowing you to create your own XEN VPS's too! Our XEN-PV Nodes will run SolusVM with Intel Xeon processors. Do you think this is a good idea? What else should we sell? We are currently only looking to sell XEN VPS's or KVM VPS's. We also think Chicago, IL is a great location for anyone in the US as it is Central and it is a very nice city. :) Please recommend us some templates to use! :D

[email protected]

Comments

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member without signature

Aren't there enough hosts in Chicago already?

Thanked by 1Randy
  • AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited September 2012

Come up with a better name. Logo sucks too.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited September 2012

Chicago! Chicago!, It's a city that's exciting! It's a city that's inviting, It's a city for a woman just like me!

There's a lake they call Lake Michigan!, I think I'm really fitting in! This city is my perfect cup of Tea! Chicago! Chicago!

Moar Chicago!

• @gsrdgrdghd said: Aren't there enough hosts in Chicago already?

I'm actually surprised to see that there are a lot more Chicago LEB hosts than there are Dallas

• TazTaz Disabled

@winston said: Dallas

Some one mentioned? :P

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

Thanked by 2Jeffrey jamson
  • We wanted the name of the city to be in the domain, ChicagoVPS was already taken. xD

[email protected]
  • @winston said: I'm actually surprised to see that there are a lot more Chicago LEB hosts than there are Dallas

You have Continuum in Chicago which is really really really cheap for colo, not sure if you have a similar one in Dallas

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some), PM for details.

• TazTaz Disabled

@zhuanyi said: Continuum

Network maintenance email almost on a daily basis for 1 month I was with them. No thank you.

Time is good and also bad. Life is short and that is sad. Dont worry be happy thats my style. No matter what happens i won't lose my smile!

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Network maintenance email almost on a daily basis for 1 month I was with them. No thank you.

This is my first month with them and so far I only got one email about network maintenance but it is for their control panel, I think they used to suck big time, but getting better since they did some upgrade on their network. I guess we'll see.

http://BornIn.Asia - FREE shared hosting and subdomain service for LET members! Click here to see how to get one yourself! 96Forum: Low End VPS Discussions. Selling domains with GApp with various user counts (10 year reg incl. for some), PM for details.

• TazTaz Disabled

@zhuanyi said: This is my first month with them and so far I only got one email about network maintenance but it is for their control panel, I think they used to suck big time, but getting better since they did some upgrade on their network. I guess we'll see.

Well I was with them last year, so hope things might have changed.

• @Taz_NinjaHawk said: Well I was with them last year, so hope things might have changed.

Wish me luck :)

• TazTaz Disabled

@zhuanyi said: Wish me luck :)

Best of Luck! Have a good one :)

• RandyRandy Disabled
    edited September 2012

Edited

• We've been with continuum for over a year now. Great service.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
    Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • WindyCityVps.com?

SonicGlass 11 Locations- Amsterdam, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, , Milan,
    SonicBoxes.com - VPS Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

• ZenZen Member
    edited September 2012

Ah...shoot the guy that came up with that name.

chicvps.com (standing for Chicago, and being a reference to style, etc)

Allows for a little creativity with the design too ;)

I work for Nodisto.

• @Zen said: chicvps.com

it will be similar to 'chicken vps' :)

• @Zen said: chicvps.com

You might have Just made an enemy ;) @CVPS_Chris

• ChicVPS would have been a good domain, yes, but we've already registered vpsinchicago.com :)

[email protected]
  • You cant beat @CVPS_Chirs ;-) he might kill you;-)

• @Jeffrey are you open to any names or specifically Chicago ones only? This awesome domain is available..

ninjavps.com

:P

• You're going to go ahead with vpsinchicago? Ew!

I work for Nodisto.

• @Zen If anyone wants to purchase Vpsinchicago.com domain then we will switch domains. ;)

[email protected]
  • @Jeffrey I'll bid a dollar just for you to not use that name, seriously Jeffrey it's pretty bad and makes it sound like some crappy niche vps site.

• Why do you need someone to purchase? Its only like $10 :)

I work for Nodisto.

• @AsadHaider said: @Jeffrey are you open to any names or specifically Chicago ones only? This awesome domain is available..

ninjavps.com

:P

Not anymore!

• @Jeffrey said: @Zen If anyone wants to purchase Vpsinchicago.com domain then we will switch domains. ;)

No offense, but if you can't even afford the registration fee for a new domain...how are you planning to keep this business afloat?

FiberVolt | Quality Los Angeles & Chicago Virtual Servers - http://fibervolt.com

• @Corey said: We've been with continuum for over a year now. Great service.

I just got a quote from them. Holy cow are they ever affordable.

• Somebody needs a small business loan!

• @Victor I can afford it, but where would the vpsinchicago.com domain go once I register another? And besides, I honestly don't see what is wrong with that domain, what's so bad about it?

[email protected]
  • AsadHaiderAsadHaider Member
    edited September 2012

@Soylent said: Somebody needs a small business loan!

The 50c interest on that $7 loan is a real killer!

@Jeffrey said: I can afford it, but where would the vpsinchicago.com domain go once I register another? And besides, I honestly don't see what is wrong with that domain, what's so bad about it?

Just cut the ten bucks you spent, and forget about it.

• Or forward it to the new and improved domain!

I work for Nodisto.

• So who regged ninjavps.com eh?

• Is the location a big enough selling point that it's worth using it in your name? There are a million providers in Chicago, one of which (ChicagoVPS) has you hopelessly beaten when it comes to SEO positioning. Why not try to come up with a more creative name? It also frees you up if you ever want to expand in the future. It still seems weird to me that ChicagoVPS has servers in Buffalo. I know it's a stupid thing, but there it is.

I'm on the record as seriously hating keyword-heavy names though, so take my input for what it's worth. Yes, "petstoresintoronto.ca" will probably rank highly in Google when I search for "pet stores in toronto," but it's a stupid name for your pet store, and it makes me feel like you're just not trying.

Thanked by 1shaunpud
  • @Brandon said: I just got a quote from them. Holy cow are they ever affordable.

Just had a chat, they seem friendly too. Quite amazed!

I work for Nodisto.

• @AsadHaider said: So who regged ninjavps.com eh?

Wasn't me (cough)

• Hmm.. true, maybe I will just launch Chicago XEN VPS servers for ChromiumHosting and redirect vpsinchicago.com to ChromiumHosting's Xen Chicago .HTML file. :)

[email protected]
  • @Soylent said: I'm on the record as seriously hating keyword-heavy names though, so take my input for what it's worth. Yes, "petstoresintoronto.ca" will probably rank highly in Google when I search for "pet stores in toronto," but it's a stupid name for your pet store, and it makes me feel like you're just not trying.

That's why I recommended something which can go both ways (VPS provider based in Chicago, rather than.. VPS in Chicago - chicvps.com)

And as @Soylent said, these types of domains (petstoresintoronto.ca) are kind of old fashioned, SEO aside people would prefer a unique brand name over something so conventional.

I work for Nodisto.

• @Corey said: We've been with continuum for over a year now. Great service.

What a joke DC hahahahahaha

ChicagoVPS.net - OpenVZ/Xen/KVM Based VPS's / Great Support! / 6 Geographically Diverse Locations: Buffalo, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Dallas, New Jersey

• PatsPats Member
    edited September 2012

@AsadHaider said: So who regged ninjavps.com eh?

wow.. gone so fast?? should be the hawk scooped the ninja..

• @Jeffrey said: launch Chicago XEN VPS servers for ChromiumHosting

This sounds like the best idea. Why start something new?

VPSInChicago limits you to VPS... in Chicago. Something like ChromiumHosting could offer any services.

The logo and such need to be fixed as well ;)

I'd say: purchase a new domain OR stick with Chromium. :) Good luck!!

CubixCloud Web Services - [email protected]
  • @AsadHaider said: So who regged ninjavps.com eh?

Sorry :(

@Zen said: Just had a chat, they seem friendly too. Quite amazed!

Yeah and I heard they do some nice cabling too?

• TazTaz Disabled

NinjaVps? Who took it :(? Terrible person! Horrible!

• @Jeffrey ChicagoVPS.net is a pretty cool VPS provider, we host one of our DNS nodes with them from our nationwide network. Taking a name that's close to them is not a very nice thing to do. We re-branded 3 times before we came up with VPS Node Box, and while it is not the most original name in the world (I would have preferred something shorter), it's not close to anyone's name and it hits the spot with SEO.

Why in the world would you use Citrix Xen Server? Do this: CentOS 6 + Kernel 3.5 + Xen 4.1 + SolusVM. Unless of course you really like the Citrix admin tools.

Sounds allot like http://www.ubiquityservers.com/ - and if that's who you're going to use you will be left with a very sour taste in your mouth (the kind you get after eating expired pickles). They will nickel and dime you for every little thing, it takes for ever to get up and running, you will have to haggle for every new server you set up and sometimes they do embarrassing things like not having RAM or replacement parts around their data center. After 3 months we pulled out of there and moved our customers to another data center. Seriously, steer clear of those guys.

Get yourself a domain name that will either put you at the top or at the bottom of any list, people tend to look only at the two places. Be original!

Offer services that people want and need if you want to pull in $$$$. We recently turned upside down everything and as I am typing this I am working with my brother at setting up new servers with more services. Selling straight VPS servers will only take you so far, you have to bundle value for the money.

Lastly: Always keep in mind that the people on this forum, and your average small to medium provider is not your competitor. At least not in the real sense of the word. So don't start price wars with others, don't talk down on other providers because you never know when you will need them.

Just my two cents.

• Thank you for that write up @vpsnodebox. I wasn't trying to compete with any host, ChicagoVPS's XEN VPS's are priced very well, I wouldn't be able to meet those prices just yet.. I wasn't trying to compete with them at all.

[email protected]
  • Id advise you to add these vps's to chromiumhosting instead of building a new brand.

• @CVPS_Chris said: What a joke DC hahahahahaha

I'd like to hear what is bad about them.

• mpkossenmpkossen Administrator

I'd say change the name :) This feel like abusing your competitor's popularity. Not a nice thing to do.

I recommend Prometeus and Vultr! | Follow @LowEndNetwork on Twitter and win a dedi!
    Check out my blog at mpkossen.com