Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused with the different CDN services available and stay away from CDN.NET
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Confused with the different CDN services available and stay away from CDN.NET

Hi,

I am confused which CDN services to choose. Although, I already have OVH CDN plus CDN Web storage from them which sucks big time. Slow upload speed. I am currently evaluating KeyCDN. I have paid the minimum $25 credit from them. I just hated the fact that when you are going to use the "push" feature, to be able to store my files there is like $0.90/GB of file. Other than that, they do not have separate pricing per region which is good. The interface is easy to understand and to use and the speed of their networks are fast too.

Now, I am thinking of using CDNify, which is $10 per month and has 150 GB of bandwidth. The issue with it is that regardless if I'll be able to use the 150 GB a month, I'll pay $10. And they said their pricing every region are just the same. Pretty much like KeyCDN. The good thing about them, I was informed via email that they have a beta feature which is the "push" service but the storage depends on your plan. For example, the $10 package contains 10GB of free storage. I guess if you need more storage, better upgrade to a new plan then. They also said adding up new resources or sites is free of charge.

Finally, CDNsun. The problem with them is that, they have different pricing every region. Although, you have the ability to select the region that you want. They also have a free 20GB push storage. 50 GB is $4.99 a month. And the minimum credit is $45.

Btw, I mentioned earlier that I already have a $25 credit in KeyCDN. When I logged in, I was shocked that it is between 600-650GB of data transfer. Awesome right? Also the thing that I like about CDNify is the types of plugins or media players that they have for video storage or VOD. They even have their own player.

I also hope that with the CDN services that I have mentioned above, I can somewhat use it as a CNAME or an A name in my DNS settings. For example, just like what Incapsula and OVH CDN does, they provide an IP that you can use as the A record as well as the CNAME that you can use. But, I think all of the CDN services that I have mentioned have zone aliases so CNAME wouldn't be an issue after all.

Another thing. A warning. Please stay away from CDN.NET Why? Simple. I saw their website, I signed up for a free trial. Of course, they need to have your credit card info so that after the trial you will be automatically charged but you also have the freedom to cancel the subscription before the end of the free trial. So, I signed up and after a few minutes, I was credited $50. I thought it is free, but the subject is "Prepay $50". I sent them an email. After a day or two, they replied. They said I can just use the actual $50 and then I said "I thought it is a free trial? Why am I being charged in the first place?" So, they asked me if I am still interested to take advantage of the free trial or just use the pay-as-you-go account. I said, I'll use the pay-as-you-go type of account so that I wouldn't be charged a regular fee. They also decided to give me a refund of $50. After a few minutes, they converted me to "free trial" instead of the pay-as-you-go account. And guess what? I received another email that says "Prepay $50". I sent them a really angry email demanding them to give me a refund, stop playing with my credit card and to completely delete my account. They investigated the issue. They apologized. They asked me if I am interested to get a $150 credit on the CDN.NET service. I said "No, just give me a refund and delete my account." They sent me an email confirming that my account has been deleted as well as the invoices for the transactions that they did. The only problem is, their merchant, "OnApp" never gave me the $50 refund back. In short, I was charged a total of $100 and a refund of $50. So technically, it is like I paid $50 for nothing. I keep on sending them emails through their website yet they never replied back.

Comments

• KeyCDN allows for zone aliases - which means that you can set your own custom (sub)domain by adding it under 'zone aliases' and creating a cname pointing to your zone.

• vyalavyala Member

Today I signed up with KeyCDN, had hard time to setup the root domain link to them. Since Gandi does't support Root domain to CNAME, KenCDN doesn't give IP address, I had difficulties with Gandi and Amazon Route 53. Then I moved to CloudFlare which support root hosting. With CloudFlare, my setup works well. I have pull server for KenCDN, not tried push, which is not my case. I also tried KeyCDN syslogs capturing with remove, it uses UDP, without security, but it works well, I could setup a server to capture the logs from CDN. So far, best for me, all done in 2-3 hours of time moving between gandi, amazon route 53, cloud flare. CloudFlare CDN resolve seems to be very slow sometimes.

Just discussing with Rage4 guys on their Geo DNS setup.

I had experience with OVH CDN 1 year ago, I use to think, it was run by aliens who doesn't understand human language, you never get reply at all by years together. So forget them.

I never had any experience with other CDN, to me CDN raw logs, and pay as you go model is best, I also liked the support from KeyCDN. Highly recommend them..

• vyalavyala Member

Yes, ZoneAlias works well, they offer 3 zonealias (sub-domains like) by default, if you want more, pay first time (25USD), then send a mail to support stating how many aliaes you need.

Overall, I liked them. Prometeus (iwstack.com) & KeyCDN are my best experience. OVH is horrible.

• vyalavyala Member

Rage4 support just confirmed me that they support root mapping to CNAME. They used to be good, I tried them, they used to be good, have good reputation in lowend networks and webhosting but I had no money & time to support my website last year.

Below is email conversation (30 mins back).

Me: Do you still have an access to your old account?

Rage4: We do offer ANAME, equivalent of CNAME for root zone name.

• Any CDNs have Asia POPs and supports SSL?

• vyalavyala Member

Many of them support check KeyCDN, CDN77.

• AdventureTimeAdventureTime Member
    edited March 2015

@vyala said:
    Today I signed up with KeyCDN, had hard time to setup the root domain link to them. Since Gandi does't support Root domain to CNAME, KenCDN doesn't give IP address, I had difficulties with Gandi and Amazon Route 53. Then I moved to CloudFlare which support root hosting. With CloudFlare, my setup works well. I have pull server for KenCDN, not tried push, which is not my case. I also tried KeyCDN syslogs capturing with remove, it uses UDP, without security, but it works well, I could setup a server to capture the logs from CDN. So far, best for me, all done in 2-3 hours of time moving between gandi, amazon route 53, cloud flare. CloudFlare CDN resolve seems to be very slow sometimes.

Just discussing with Rage4 guys on their Geo DNS setup.

I had experience with OVH CDN 1 year ago, I use to think, it was run by aliens who doesn't understand human language, you never get reply at all by years together. So forget them.

I never had any experience with other CDN, to me CDN raw logs, and pay as you go model is best, I also liked the support from KeyCDN. Highly recommend them..

Hey, perfect description! Haha. Yes, their servers are expensive, you expect awesome support but they were always delayed. And yes, I forgot to announce on my previous thread that I am now also using Rage4 through Prometeus :) Awesome service. Another thing, yes they do support root CNAMES. Actually they support using the "root" thingy on all types of DNS unlike Cloudflare.

@vyala said:
    Yes, ZoneAlias works well, they offer 3 zonealias (sub-domains like) by default, if you want more, pay first time (25USD), then send a mail to support stating how many aliaes you need.

Overall, I liked them. Prometeus (iwstack.com) & KeyCDN are my best experience. OVH is horrible.

I agree. They always seem to reply fast! As in literally fast. Awesome support provided by KeyCDN :) For OVH even though they make you feel that you are prioritized, well their support through email sucks. But their phone support is awesome and fast too.> @vyala said:

Rage4 support just confirmed me that they support root mapping to CNAME. They used to be good, I tried them, they used to be good, have good reputation in lowend networks and webhosting but I had no money & time to support my website last year.

Below is email conversation (30 mins back).

Me: Do you still have an access to your old account?

Rage4: We do offer ANAME, equivalent of CNAME for root zone name.

Also regarding Rage4, their support is fast! I was exchanging messages with them the other day regarding some basic inquiries about failover support, slave DNS, which of the two is better, the webhooks thing, like integrating it with PHPServerMon instead of purchasing a subscription from Uptime Robot. I was actually shocked that I was actually having a conversation with the Company Director, can you imagine that? He's fast. It's like we were having a chat because our conversations were like realtime.

I thought the "root" thing you were talking about is that you can use "domain.com" regardless if it is under CNAME or A. By the way, what does that do?> @XIAOSpider97 said:

Any CDNs have Asia POPs and supports SSL?

Most of them has POPs in Asia. Oh another thing, I don't know but which of the CDNs did I mention supports Shared SSL on a custom Zone alias?

Another thing, let me just add up that the support of Prometeus is also awesome and fast. They reply so fast just like Rage4. It's like both of you are just having a chat. Both of them gives a personal touch to each messages that they have sent as well as they both complete the definition of "customer service".

• vyalavyala Member

@AdventureTime,

Just wanted to know what difficulties you had to with cloudflare to move to rage4?

I still have Rage4 free account with Prometeus, wanted to move to Rage4.

• Prometeus uses Rage4. It is exactly like Rage4 DNS, just without the limit of having the 250,000 limit then you'll be charged for it. @vyala Prometeus offers two types of DNS. The first one is the anycast DNS which is from DNS4.PRO and you can use it as a slave instead of using HE then the second one is Rage4 DNS.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

AdventureTime said: DNS4.PRO

That is free from our billing panel, even if you do not have services with us, while rage4 is only free with certain products, but you can also purchase it individually if you do not wish to have an iwstack account, for example.

• @Maounique said:
    That is free from our billing panel, even if you do not have services with us, while rage4 is only free with certain products, but you can also purchase it individually if you do not wish to have an iwstack account, for example.

Awesome :)