Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion required - simple OVZ server setup with control panel for clients
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestion required - simple OVZ server setup with control panel for clients

gtraxgtrax Member
edited March 2015 in Help

Dear All,
I am thinking to setup a personal VPS infrastructure service actually for a group of friends who use vps servers (it will be a setup in my house so I can only use OpenVZ cannot use kvm, xen, esxi or anything else). I was thinking between proxmox with OpenVZ "or" OpenVZ on CentOS with OVZ-Web panel.
I also need to have an understanding how to limit cpu speed and also which is the best config while allocation cpu units and memory.
I do need overselling / over-commitment and I also use to give the my friends control panels which can be used to Boot/Shutdown/Reboot/Re-install.
I know that solusVM is a good option but please keep suggestion away from paid stuff.
Looking forward to your suggestions.
Thanks

Comments

• Feathur

Thanked by 2BlueVM gtrax
  • wychwych Member

Virtualizor or Proxmox...

Thanked by 1gtrax
  • rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

Proxmox is a great start.

Thanked by 1gtrax
  • wychwych Member
    edited March 2015

Thanked by 1gtrax
  • gtraxgtrax Member

Thanks everyone I will work on proxmox and check feathur also.
    Will update accordingly.

• One thing you need to make sure of first is that;

1. Your ISP will willing allocate you the IP space necessary for said VPS;
    2. Your ISP authorizes you to host services publicly over said IP Addresses; and
    3. Your ISP is not blocking any of the necessary ports for said control panels or services.
  • nexmarknexmark Member
    edited March 2015

@ElixantTechnology said:
    One thing you need to make sure of first is that;

1. Your ISP will willing allocate you the IP space necessary for said VPS;
    2. Your ISP authorizes you to host services publicly over said IP Addresses; and
    3. Your ISP is not blocking any of the necessary ports for said control panels or services.

Edited : N/A

• jemaltzjemaltz Member
    edited March 2015

Nothing is more expensive than free.

I'd recommend telling your friends to check out some of the <$10 per year VPSes out there (e.g. Bandwagon [affiliate link]) if cost is an issue, otherwise you'll become their free tech support and hardware maintenance guy as well. Just my two cents...

• @nexmark

OP said "it will be a setup in my house"...

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited March 2015

@pbalazs123 said:
    nexmark

OP said "it will be a setup in my house"...

Ouch, didn't see that @gtrax did you factor in the power costs?

You could just buy a Kidechiré, Setup NAT on it

• Proxmox, been using it 5+ years. It just simply works, even for "production" quality services (I know many companies who use it), anybody who says otherwise is just one of those folks who argues endlessly on the Internet.

Thanked by 2Hassan k0nsl
  • HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Go with Proxmox. This is a perfect use for it.

• I forgot also to mention, as @nexmark mentioned, have you considered power costs? A functioning server running virtualization 24/7 will consume a lot of power. In fact, with the cost of residential electricity, you'd be paying more than the average Dedicated Server just in power. That is of corse if your ISP allows for you to do what you are wanting to do. You could get into a lot of trouble.

• If I was his friend, I'd be much happier buying a VPS from a provider and knowing that my VPS is in a data center (which is called a data center for a reason) and not a house

• +1 for Proxmox

• gtraxgtrax Member

Thanks everyone for the feedbacks. Well its not for a long period and most stuff is not production but for testing environments. I have setup proxmox and its working fine but client control panel is lacking in proxmox isn't it. I am now thinking about also testing feathur if anyone could tell me if it has a client control panel. If there is not client control panel I think only OVZ web panel is the option ??? or any other advice.

Note: Power and ISP related issues are not at all there. We will definitely shift to a VPS provider internationally but we need to test our environment first as the testers/admins/developers require a local access.