Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another HP Lights-Out 100 problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Another HP Lights-Out 100 problem

ReeRee Member

I've run into another problem with the IPMI on my dedi. For several days it was working fine (after figuring out the virtual media problem), but yesterday the virtual KVM started failing regularly with this java exception:

com.serverengines.rdr.BadIOException: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

This exception is thrown 99% of the time when I ask it to reboot, which is really annoying because I'm trying to reinstall and when it crashes it loses my virtual media setting.

Has anybody ever run into this problem before? Googling hasn't revealed anything useful for this problem so far...

Comments

• Which machine and which LO software version are you running?

• ReeRee Member
    edited March 2015
    • DL170h G6
    • LO100 firmware 4.26
    • Remote Console Client for Java version 2.0.0 (build: 11811)

(It's not my Delimiter dedi, LO on that is still working great last I checked :)

• LO100's on any platform are a royal pain in the arse. Its a lowend BMC with a hacked on KVM. Generally all servers DL1XX have these LO100's and the DL3/DL5 and BL4/6 etc have full ILOs.

About a year ago I was playing around with them in detail and I found that they hemorrhage RAM and at this point the KVM stops working. It seems that if you leave the KVM open and it times out then it waits hours to timeout and doesn't clean up properly. Also if you leave the KVM open then close it by shutting the applet then again it just sits there waiting to timeout.

I've got around this a few ways:

1. Hard power down of the system
    2. IPMITool on the server: ipmitool bmc reset cold

Try option 2 first, remember you'll need to load up the ipmi modules (assuming Linux).

Thanked by 2Ree Mark_R
  • SadySady Member

I faced same issue on both of supermicro servers from GVH, whenever i reported, they did an IPMI reset & that was good for few weeks.

Thanked by 1Ree
  • ReeRee Member

I couldn't do 2 because the server was in a non-bootable state (hence why I needed virtual kvm!)

Tried again after a couple hours and was able to boot mini.iso before a crash, which allowed me to reinstall, and then I ran the reset afterwards.

Thanks!

• ReeRee Member

IPMI reset didn't seem to help, had some time to do some further testing and virtual kvm still crashes when the box reboots.

And it's not just when I initiate a reboot via the IPMI interface (which I initially though), sshing in and sudo rebooting causes the virtual kvm to crash as well.

Support mentioned something about the IPMI being on a shared link with eth0, and they're going to switch to a dedicated link, so maybe that's the problem and it'll be resolved when the datacenter gets around to making that change.

Definitely questioning whether I really want to renew this thing!

• IPMI should NEVER share the same port as your public network. If your network port is being slammed by an attack or your server is flooding your network port, then you still want to be able to get into it and see whats happening.

Secondly, in my experience (not with HP but mostly Dell servers) the shared IPMI seems to be unreliable. With HP I have never deployed or seen IPMI+NIC0 deployed together.

If you decide to move on, then please PM me the spec, I'd be happy to get you some pricing the an equivalent HP box with full ILO as you have on your existing Delimiter box.

• @MarkTurner said:
    IPMI should NEVER share the same port as your public network. If your network port is being slammed by an attack or your server is flooding your network port, then you still want to be able to get into it and see whats happening.

+1