Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Install Fedora Server 21 on OVH box from scratch? (rescue)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Install Fedora Server 21 on OVH box from scratch? (rescue)

NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
edited February 2015 in Help

Hi there

Has anyone ever tried installing Fedora Server 21 from OVHs rescue system? I'm trying to do so since 3 hours now and I don't have any success at all. According to some reaaaally old posts you can just grab the "fedora-release-.rpm" and "fedora-repos-.rpm", install them with yum/rpm by using the --installroot/--root parameter, install "yum" with localinstall, chroot into that newly built "ultra-minimal-base-system", install some packages, install Grub, mess around in some files and that's it!

But I struggled with so many things already, starting from outdated yum/rpm versions (remember, OVHs rescue system is Debian based...), strange Makefile scripts when I tried to compile RPM for myself, weird Yum file compression errors, weird XML errors with Yum, missing Python libraries, permission errors, yum PKI errors, and so on... It get's really frustrating to debug errors like "bad magic". As soon as I fix one issue, another one pops up. Am I just doing it the ultra-stupid way or is there any easy solution for that?

And no, KVM-over-IP and OVH-Installer aren't a proper solution. The first thing costs me 30€ per installation, the second thingy is ultra-stupid in regards of partitioning.

Regards
NeoXiD

Comments

• I don't believe you can install anything over rescue, never tried it. Chances are you'll need to modify from "rescue" to "hard disk" before attempting to install OS.

• @century1stop Thanks for your answer. I've successfully installed various Debian servers in the past (even with full-disk encryption), that works like a charm with debootstrap. You just have to do partitioning by yourself, extract a base system, modify some files and install Grub. It really seems to be a PITA though with Fedora Server 21 - that's why I've started this thread.

• possible via rescue? interesting, must try it one day :)

• Yesterday I've stumbled across this thread from @pechspilz: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/41208/install-a-soyoustart-or-kimsufi-server-using-an-iso-image-using-vnc

And I have to say, it worked like a charm. I successfully installed Fedora Server 21 via VNC, adjusted the network settings and switched back from "rescue" to "hdd". Definitely going to remember that, as it just saved me 30€.