Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Low end vps with 10gbps shared network port

Low end vps with 10gbps shared network port

ajonesajones Banned
edited August 2012 in General

So, I was browsing around and I found a low end vps. RAM: 128MB BURST: 640MB HDD: 75GB RAID10 NETWORK: 10TB @ 10GBPS SHARED LOCATION: NETHERLANDS

It costs a pretty penny though if you get what I mean. It costs $34 a month since it has 10gbps shared port.

Is it worth the $?

Comments

• Could you actually get close to utilizing the claimed 10Gbps -- or even 1-2Gbps?

Also, it seems like the main use for that would be some form of file hosting, given the high storage-low RAM combo.

"We are in a prison drama. This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption."
  • Depends how much data you need to push.

I know, I'm Dale Maily.

• I am just planing on using it for web server, streaming live audio and video 24 / 7.

• How many CPUs or CPU cores are available?

I am no longer affiliated with IPXcore.
  • @ajones said: I am just planing on using it for web server, streaming live audio and video 24 / 7.

Do you think you'll need that 10Gbps? And will the server you're using max out RAM before you hit the port speed, or will you hit the BW cap easily?

May be better to spread the $34 over multiple 1Gbps/100Mbps providers if you don't need that much speed.

"We are in a prison drama. This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption."
  • @ajones said: I am just planing on using it for web server, streaming live audio and video 24 / 7.

Live streaming may be a bit heavy on RAM, depending on what software you use.

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

• CPU: 2x Intel Quad Core Xeon L5630

• I might use it like people have cloudflare to protect websites, set up a protection system like it that can handle huge dos/ddos attacks.

• www.buyvm.net with a DDoS filtered IP

• @ajones said: I might use it like people have cloudflare to protect websites, set up a protection system like it that can handle huge dos/ddos attacks.

You'll probably want to make sure that your host will not kick you out when you get hit with DDoS. Port speed alone won't save you from that if the provider doesn't like DDoS.

Appreciate my posts/software/guides? Donate (PayPal/Flattr/Bitcoin): http://cryto.net/~joepie91/donate.html | irc.freenode.net #lowendbox

• @joepie91 said: You'll probably want to make sure that your host will not kick you out when you get hit with DDoS. Port speed alone won't save you from that if the provider doesn't like DDoS.

Well, I have plans for the server, just want to know if it is worth the $

• JackJack Member

@ajones said: I might use it like people have cloudflare to protect websites, set up a protection system like it that can handle huge dos/ddos attacks

Amsterdam , 10gbit = FDC Servers Are you sure its 2x Intel Quad Core Xeon L5630

And not 2 x E5's?

I know the node could probably handle like 1.4mil p/s but they would probably kick you at 200k p/s which is a medium sized SYN flood.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • JackJack Member

@ajones said: $34 a month

FYI that's not Lowend.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • be careful they don't mean it's a 10gbit switch..

• @Jack said: FYI that's not Lowend.

The specs are low end, the price is pretty high since its 10gbps

• JackJack Member

@winston said: be careful they don't mean it's a 10gbit switch..

I doubt it , it's a shared 10gbit port though...

I could only get ~2gbit out of it when I got a 24 hour trial with one.

• JackJack Member
    edited August 2012

@ajones said: The specs are low end, the price is pretty high since its 10gbps

I can tank 10gbps at BuyVM's filtering for $3.

That's Lowend.

$34 Isn't Lowend.

• I don't care if it ever reaches 10gbps, but I want to know if it is worth it.

• why would you pay for something you aren't getting..?

Thanked by 1Jack
  • JackJack Member

@ajones said: I don't care if it ever reaches 10gbps, but I want to know if it is worth it.

No it's not.

• ZenZen Member

You would be better off load balancing the solution across multiple VMs, the premise of this thread makes no sense because you will hit 128MB ram transcoding to even a few viewers.

Setup a loadbalancer on one VM, buy 6-7 other VMs and balance the HTTP traffic between each node using least connections algorithm.

Something like that, use weight if specs vary? Etc.

I work for Nodisto.

• @ajones said: NETWORK: 10TB @ 10GBPS SHARED

For a 10TB, there is SemoWeb, but for unmetered, there would be Catalystvps. Another one is Fanaticalvps and redinit. Sometime ago, there is CloudLix in Lithuania

My blog | Server Uptime | I'm not working for any providers in here, all my comments just my own opinion.image
  • I will give someone $2.12 if they max out a 10GB port on a 128mb VPS for more than 10 seconds. It sounds like a DDoS paradise island to me.

BigScoots.com -- a 100% positively reviewed premium grade Shared, VPS, Hybrid and Dedicated hosting company that specializes in industry leading support and management. Check us out today and experience the difference!

• JackJack Member

@BigScoots said: I will give someone $2.12 if they max out a 10GB port on a 128mb VPS for more than 10 seconds. It sounds like a DDoS paradise island to me.

OVH all over again..

They will probably rate limit UDP in the new few months.

• OVH is not bad. I used to have 16gb ram server with them till I just sold it for $50.00

• earlearl Member

@Jack said: I could only get ~2gbit out of it when I got a 24 hour trial with one.

10GbE nics looks pretty expensive maybe it just a 2 gb fibre card..

• [root@4sale ~]# wget http://213.163.76.200/10000mb.bin --01:00:24-- http://213.163.76.200/10000mb.bin Connecting to 213.163.76.200:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK Length: 10485760000 (9.8G) [application/octet-stream] Saving to: `10000mb.bin'

100%[====================================>] 10,485,760,000 105M/s in 92s

01:01:56 (109 MB/s) - `10000mb.bin' saved [10485760000/10485760000]

Not too bad.

• Eww hosthatch

• @ajones said: 105M/s

You paid for 10gbit and only getting a gbit?

• @Jack said: You paid for 10gbit and only getting a gbit?

Prob limited to stop DDoS.

• Contacted provider. They will offer me a refund when ever I want due to "speed issue"

• Also, I don't use hosthatch. :)

• IntoVPS?