Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SwitchVM - Benchmarks? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SwitchVM - Benchmarks?

Comments

• @dominicl said: Well, you won't resist when you see some of the LET deals.

Its not hard to crack amazing deals out when your using 3 year old hardware that costs under $100 :)

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@GetKVM_Ash said: Its not hard to crack amazing deals out when your using 3 year old hardware that costs under $100 :)

The first node will be the X3440. As I said, the 2nd node on will be E3-1230's. Some providers use Phenom's! The X3440 is better than a Phenom, thank you.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited August 2012

@dominicl said: The first node will be the X3440. As I said, the 2nd node on will be E3-1230's. Some providers use Phenom's! The X3440 is better than a Phenom, thank you.

Why cant the first node be an E3-1230? There under a $100 too, especially since your using 2x drives. And you would be surprised how some of those Phenom configs perform. An x6 would probably leave the x3440 standing.

edited August 2012

@liam said: @dominicl What is your USP?

"We understand that not everybody has a lot to spend, so we're introducing VPS's that everybody can afford, packed with good support as well. Whether unmanaged or managed, we'll do our best to help"

@GetKVM_Ash said: Why cant the first node be an E3-1230? There under a $100 too, specially since your using 2x drives.

I suppose I could get it upgraded to an E3-1230. The last upgrade went horribly wrong, but I suppose I could

• @dominicl Don't forget the Summer Minecraft Hosts that think a dual core opteron can hold 32GB of Minecraft servers.

Thanked by 1Ash_Hawkridge

@SimpleNode said: @dominicl Don't forget the Summer Minecraft Hosts that think a dual core opteron can hold 32GB of Minecraft servers.

Lol haha - yeah they do. They think any server, such as an Atom can support an unlimited amount of servers, regardless of RAM

• We're all very lucky that those CPUs don't physically support much RAM... otherwise...

@SimpleNode said: We're all very lucky that those CPUs don't physically support much RAM... otherwise...

Definitely. I wonder how slow 1 Minecraft server would be on an atom, with loads of plugins, let alone 2. Most on the MC Forums use Kimsufi or another provider like that.

@liam said: I wouldn't say that was a USP but more of a mission statement.

Any way good luck!

Yeah - that was a mission statement really, but oh well. Thanks anyway.

@Zen said: Please don't tell me you're hosting the VMs on the master...or the master on the slave..

Do you mean hosting VM's on the same server as the SolusVM master?

@Zen said: Yes.

I will be moving the SolusVM master to a VPS away from the SecuredServers network shortly. I'll need to get another SolusVM license, which I will do shortly, don't worry ;)

• PhilNDPhilND Member
    edited August 2012

@dominicl Yeah, we're using PhoenixNAP - The network is amazing as is the support (infact we have regular conversations with them, they're really cool guys), The hardware is good also, enterprise drives which give us good I/O (raid10).

They were also kind enough to point our IP's to our nameservers so we can use our in house rdns manager.

03:53:37 up 107 days
    03:54:52 up 41 days,

No problems with em' so far.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@PhilND said:

Do they provide ksplice licenses? The last time I asked, they didn't?

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Do they provide ksplice licenses? The last time I asked, they didn't?

I'll check for you ;)

@PhilND said: @dominicl Yeah, we're using PhoenixNAP - The network is amazing as is the support (infact we have regular conversations with them, they're really cool guys), The hardware is good also, enterprise drives which give us good I/O (raid10).

They were also kind enough to point our IP's to our nameservers so we can use our in house rdns manager.

Yeah, they've been great to me, and some of the guys are cool to have a nice convo with! :P

@Alex_LiquidHost

Here you go:

Hello Dominic,

Unfortunately we do not offer KSplice as a service at this time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and feel free to contact us anytime you have any questions regarding our services.

Thanks

I wonder how @PhillND updates his kernel's with over 3 months of non-rebooting in that case.

@Alex_LiquidHost said: I wonder how @PhillND updates his kernel's with over 3 months of non-rebooting in that case.

True true. Maybe he sourced a license elsewhere? Not sure.

The combination of Secured Servers and BuycPanel works well :)

We've urgently got to move DC's, as something has fallen through with Secured Servers. Do you guys have any suggestions?

• TazTaz Member
    edited August 2012

@dominicl said: Do you guys have any suggestions?

xeone3-1230 4x1tb+32GB ddr3 ecc+ /27+/29 + 100mbps unmeterd on a premium network 250/mo. Your call.

@dominicl said: We've urgently got to move DC's, as something has fallen through with Secured Servers. Do you guys have any suggestions?

What has happened with them?

@Alex_LiquidHost said: What has happened with them?

Not really sure. Basically, I have been with them before for my own, personal needs and cancelled 2 servers, on 2 different occasions. I bought an E3-1230 for SwitchVM, and then requested it to be downgraded to an X3440 w/ 2xHDD's and SWRAID 1. This was completed. Out of interest, I asked them how much it would cost to upgrade to the E3-1230 again, but still with the 2xHDD's. This is what has come of it.

I suppose it's good in a way, as people were getting bad ping results to the DC which would put people off. I need somewhere that doesn't charge something ridiculous for IP addresses as well. If you could help me out by recommending some providers, that would help me greatly!

I hope you all understand, and I understand that I need to think things through more carefully, and re-think my actions before completing them.

Thanks

• Incero. Just ask Gordon nicely and you'll get a free upgrade to 30TB@Gigabit

@SimpleNode said: Incero. Just ask Gordon nicely and you'll get a free upgrade to 30TB@Gigabit

I'll speak to him, thanks. I'm tired at the moment, but I'll be sending a few emails off later on this evening via my phone. I need to get this sorted ASAP, so I need to send the emails ASAP really.

This hasn't made my day, but it's a new experience, so hey, anything can happen!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@SimpleNode said: app_85@android:/ # ping argon.node.simpleno.de

PING argon.node.simpleno.de (23.29.124.226) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from argon.node.simpleno.de (23.29.124.226): icmp_seq=1 ttl=4
    64 bytes from argon.node.simpleno.de (23.29.124.226): icmp_seq=2 ttl=4
    64 bytes from argon.node.simpleno.de (23.29.124.226): icmp_seq=3 ttl=4
    64 bytes from argon.node.simpleno.de (23.29.124.226): icmp_seq=4 ttl=4
    64 bytes from argon.node.simpleno.de (23.29.124.226): icmp_seq=5 ttl=4

How come it doesn't have the amount of ms?

• I was on my phone, and it got cut off. You can still see averages.

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited August 2012

@dominicl
    Or use these coupons.

TwoFree2tb = Free upgrade to two 2TB Western Digital Black hard drives. Choose "2tb" on the first drive bay, and "2tb" on the second drive bay. <- new, extremely limited stock!

Free120SSD2 = Free 120GB SSD in Drive Bay 2.
    Free120SSD = Free upgrade to 120GB SSD in the first drive bay.
    2free120 = Swap the default 1TB drive in Drive Bay 1 for a 120GB Intel 330 SSD and add an additional 120GB Intel 330 SSD to Drive Bay 2.
    Free2TB = Free 2TB drive upgrade in the first drive bay.
    Free2nd1tb = Free 1TB drive in Drive Bay 2.
    Free32ram = Free upgrade to 32GB RAM (total).
    Free1270 = Free upgrade to an E3-1270 v2
    10cpanel = cPanel/WHM for only $10 (saves $29).
    GigUnmeteredSave1000 = $1,000 off any server with a gigabit unmetered network connection.
    100tbFor60 = 100TB bandwidth on a 1 gigabit port for only $60 (saves $139).

Thanks, I've got a link to his Pastebin :) I'll give him a buzz.

Rushing will never end good. Seeing how you rush, it seems to me that you are in a hurry to catch the end of the summer..

@Alex_LiquidHost said: Rushing will never end good. Seeing how you rush, it seems to me that you are in a hurry to catch the end of the summer..

I wasn't rushing. I was simply asking lots of questions actually, but asking doesn't mean they have to do the changes.

The only thing I wanted done was the original downgrade, but meh.

This discussion has been closed.