Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vult Network
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vult Network

Hello,

I'm using one VPS from Vultr that has some networking problems in London.
In 4 months I have 28 outages,
Does anyone now if this related to the London datacenter or this is common in Vultr network?

Thanks

Comments

• Vultr network is from the dark side of the moon if I remember.

/jk

There are conversation in here whether Vultr is using single homing or multi homing network. I guess that's related to their network problem..

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2015

London was the worst location for me (network wise) while I was still using vultr. Paris, on the other hand, was quite okay (not great, but okay).

• nfnnfn Veteran

This is a big problem since these 28 outages respresents 1h:30m downtime in 141 days.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2015

Have you asked them for the reasons? (Not that I would expect any useful reply from them)

• Maybe message Vultr support and ask about it? Switch to DO or Linode? Not sure what to tell ya..

• nfnnfn Veteran

The don't say nothing usefull:

"As we strive to optimize performance across all locations at all times, I am hesitant to categorize any one location as 'better' or 'worse' than others.

Should you or your monitoring tool(s) observe an outage, please check https://my.vultr.com or https://www.vultr.com/status/ for location-specific notifications and open a support request if there is not an issue we are actively working to resolve."

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2015

Just ditch them and switch to e.g. Linode. Obviously their support is as useful as their CEO. I still have hundreds of dollars in my account with vultr that I will probably never use. There are good alternatives around.

• @nfn said:
    The don't say nothing usefull:

It's extremely useful. If you don't report specific information about outages when they happen, they have no way of tracking down the problem.

You don't even know if it's a problem on their network at this point.

Thanked by 1exextatic
  • You sure it's a network issue? At London, I have experienced only one outage for 10-20 mins due to some hardware issue they rectified. May be it's related to the node your VM is on.

• I haven't had a single problem in their New Jersey location, it's been rock solid for me.

• Yes, I also doubt about your issue, I am having one instance at London since last 10 months and didn't face any major issue. I can remember only two times there was some issue with network which got resolved in less than 15 minutes..

• nfnnfn Veteran

These are metrics from pingdom (1 min) and uptimerobot (5 min).

• @nfn said:

Have you contacted their support? I've had nothing but really good experiences with them and they have looked into an issue I have brought up.

• @nfn said:

Have you added the IP ranges pingdom and uptimerobot uses in your firewall?
    Some years ago I also got lots of downtime on one of my VPS (I think it was with SolaDrive) and sent in complain after complain. But there was nothing wrong with the server or the network. I just had to add the IP ranges my monitor services used in the firewall on the VM, and after that I never got an outage report anymore.
    After that I always add my uptime monitors to the firewall.

I'm sure you will find what IPs (range) you have to add to your firewall at both pingdom and uptimerobot on their FAQ, or support site. If not, ask them.

Pretty sure that is the issue.

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited February 2015

Hello and thank you for all feed back.

Yes, I already contacted the support but just got the response mention above.
    I don't block pings but added all pingdom IP's to csf so I can ensure nothing is related to the VPS.

Just for clarification, I have a very good experience with Vultr, the only problem I had in these 150 days is the network outage that I need had with other providers with the exact same setup.

N

Edit: Just received an update from David A saying he will escalate this to a senior engineer to look into my specific node