Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

What is a good enough assumption for CPU usage in VPSs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is a good enough assumption for CPU usage in VPSs?

outimeoutime Member
edited February 2015 in General

When I get a new VPS for a serious purpose, I make sure to first ask support about the guaranteed CPU usage if there's no information on its webpage - which is the usual thing unfortunately.

I know there are a lot of variables: OVZ/KVM, price, burst or not... it's just that providers usually post the CPU that it's being used by the host but nothing else, and I think it does matter.

So my question is, what is a good assumption? 20% of the CPU? 50%? One core? All cores during a limited time? 10-70% depending of the load?

Comments

• I think most hosts should be fine with a load of 1 full core, but then again, some don't like it if you sustain that load for a long period of time. Really, I don't think there's any general rule here, it differs quite a bit from host to host. I think the best think would be to send in a ticket to the host, or read the AUP.