Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of subscribing to a premium Managed DNS service.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thinking of subscribing to a premium Managed DNS service.

Hi,

I am currently using Cloudflare but I am curious of having a premium DNS service. I came across these services:

• Rage4 - looks awesome but I think it is expensive
  • ClouDNS - don't know how many POPs they offer and the locations of each POPs
  • EasyDNS - looks cheap but is it only for a single domain?
  • EdgeCast - does not actually show the pricing
  • Bing - do they have their own DNS service?

Also, I am looking for something like what Cloudflare does, minification of scripts CSS, etc.. Incapsula is expensive, plus they don't have the free SSL stuff that Cloudflare gives away.

I am thinking of using this https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/module

Another thing, I read all of the reviews from these sites but they just made me more confused.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited February 2015

Rage4 is 12EUR from Prometeus

Add Google PageSpeed on your webserver, and it will auto minify.

VMBox here provides a free wildcard SSL Certificate per VPS.

• @StartledPhoenix said:
    Rage4 is 12EUR from Prometeus

Add Google PageSpeed on your webserver, and it will auto minify.

VMBox here provides a free wildcard SSL Certificate per VPS.

• I have an account with Rage4, but it is very confusing. Like their pricing for each domain names that exceed a 250,000 hits is confusing.
    • Yeah, totally curious about Google PageSpeed. I don't know if it will work with Apache and nginx reverse proxy though.
    • VMBox, I usually host my own sites through my dedicated server with Proxmox.
  • edited February 2015

The link above for Rage4 is unlimited.

Setup google pagespeed on apache

VMBox's VPSes are $3/mo, you can easily get a Wildcard SSL for your domain, it doesn't really matter where your site is hosted. If you can't afford $3, then use http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/41289/free-chinese-2-year-ssl-certificate-dv-kuaissl-by-wosign-com

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

honestly cloudflare's dns is great. no reason to pay for anything else.

Thanked by 2netomx dragon1993
  • @StartledPhoenix said:
    VMBox's VPSes are $3/mo, you can easily get a Wildcard SSL for your domain, it doesn't really matter where your site is hosted. If you can't afford $3, then use http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/41289/free-chinese-2-year-ssl-certificate-dv-kuaissl-by-wosign-com

Yeah but I have a dedicated server from OVH with a lot of VPS(s) that I made. Cloudflare offers free SSL, and they are automatic. I know Comodo offers free SSL certificates but I have to generate it etc and it is really not user-friendly specially if you don't have an actual web control panel installed.

• CloudFlare DNS itself is perfectly fine, using it with their CDN can have issues since they're a DDoS magnet. London POP seems to be go down frequently for few mins.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2015

StartledPhoenix said: The link above for Rage4 is unlimited.

For private use. It does not mean you can run a hosting company with thousands of domains and billions of hits out of it, but it is perfectly fine for your mid-size business site with a few million hits, or for tens of domains with some tens of thousand hits each.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Might also want to look into nsone.

https://nsone.net/

• DNSMadeEasy.com is also an option. I have used them since 2008, without any issues at all.

• rackspace dns is also pretty good, and free

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Namecheap's DNS services never disappointed me.

1. DNSMadeEasy - 2 years, no issues
    2. NSOne - Intelligent Routing
    3. CloudNS - Cheaper, been using them 2+ years, survived a large multi-day DDoS
    4. Cloud.net - From the OnApp team. Buy a $5 Softlayer VPS, and you get access to their Anycast DNS free. Maybe you don't even need a server, but got one regardless. Been using that as well around 6+ months.
  • How is route 53 by Amazon AWS?

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited February 2015

XIAOSpider97 said: How is route 53 by Amazon AWS?

• Has more locations than most worldwide (35+) with an anycast network
    • 100% SLA (has Amazon's services ever been down?)
    • Health Checks/DNS failover
    • GeoDNS/DNS load balancing
    • One of the largest infrastructures in the world, Amazon's (ever heard of a DDoS that succeeded against Route53?)
    • A rest'ful API that is considered the holy grail of correct API implementations by some engineers (Uses level 3 of the Richardson Maturity Model)

Can't really get better.

Some interesting ways that AWS just absorbes DDoS all the time: https://privatedock.wordpress.com/2013/12/28/ddos-resiliency-with-aws/

Can't recommend that, breaks so much (at least a couple of months ago). If you try, I don't recommend using Nginx, only Apache.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I put mission critical stuff on Route53. My bill is less than $5/mo for a few domains with a good amount of hits. Never had a single issue.

Everything else is split between Rage4 (unlimited account from prometeus) and Cloudflare.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Any of these work with cPanel ?? (I mean directly from cP / WHM)
    I only have a couple of domains ... not lot of them.

• I have narrowed down the choices between the Rage4 unlimited provided by Prometeus and ClouDNS. Although I have no idea how many servers or POPs (am I right?) they provide.

• avaylavayl Member
    edited February 2015

This may also help you: https://cloudharmony.com/reports Their free DNS report has lots of information.

http://www.dnsperf.com/ may be of use too.

I'd also recommend not focusing too much on number of POPs as they do not directly correlate with performance.

• Maounique said: Many times:

Yeah, now that I think, there was that earthquake 6 months ago that took out Amazon's west coast area. I still think they they're at 99.99% for the year though. :D

• I've always wanted to use AWS Route 53, but I always feel skeptical on the costs as their are no fixed costs, & I fear any month they may land a bomb in my lap.

What is the average cost per month for for 15-20 sites with average overall 200K page visits daily ? I'm sure there isn't a good metric to Visits, correct me if I'm wrong.

• @mehargags It mostly depends on your TTL settings. If your records expire every 10 mins, you're going to use a ton of requests.. but if it's set to 4, 6, 8, 12, 24, 48 hours - you'll use less as you go up.

15-20 sites will cost you $7.50-$10/mo as a base ($0.50 per zone * 15 or 20). Just assuming that every single visit results in a DNS lookup (which it shouldn't), toss in another million for MX/SPF/etc record lookups and such.... you'd pay $0.40 per million (standard/simple queries) * 7 (million) = $2.80

So $10-13/mo

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • For regular site/blog cloudns is more than enough for its price and features, no limitation or hidden fee. Been using them 2 years

• Thanks @mikeyur .. is certainly helpful...
    can you educate me how adding some features like Automatic Switching to failover server will affect cost ?

What happens in case of a DDOs Attack ?

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @mehargags said:
    can you educate me how adding some features like Automatic Switching to failover server will affect cost ?

I've never really used the health checks/failover options. But you can see pricing here: https://aws.amazon.com/route53/pricing/

No clue about the DDoS stuff. Might need to do some Googling

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited February 2015

@mehargags said: I've always wanted to use AWS Route 53, but I always feel skeptical on the costs as their are no fixed costs, & I fear any month they may land a bomb in my lap.

and

My concerns and questions exactly! Especially with a larger number of domains. There is rate limiting, of course (or better yet, iptables), but clients of hosted services like Route53 or Rage4 have no access to such tweaks (somebody correct me if I'm wrong ;)

• For 1 euro per year you can get Anycast DNS from OVH but for that you have to transfer your domains to them.

https://www.ovh.ie/domains/dns-anycast/

Thanked by 1dragon1993
  • mehargags said: What happens in case of a DDOs Attack ?

DDoS of whom? Route53 or your sites? Amazon won't charge you, or suspend you for receiving DDoS attacks against their name servers.

Route53's backbone is hosted using what Amazon calls Anycast Striping. I don't believe anyone has the capital to take out every one of Amazon's edges around the globe - at most only a couple. If an attack does take down a few, your client's queries will be route to another edge, or even a different region.

aglodek said: but clients of hosted services like Route53 or Rage4 have no access to such tweaks (somebody correct me if I'm wrong ;)

I don't think any of our self-host solutions can have the tweaks that Amazon employees. We can do really small stuff, but none of us own datacenters in 5+ countries.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @Kris said:
    2. NSOne - Intelligent Routing

That geo-targeting feature looks real nice. A little spendy for me though (I'm also happy w/ DNSMadeEasy at less than $80/year).

• @Silvenga said: I n't think any of our self-host solutions can have the tweaks that Amazon employees. We can do really small stuff, but none of us own datacenters in 5+ countries

Actually, no need to buy a brewery to drink some beer (read: no need to own datacenters to colo equipment in them). Correct me if I'm wrong, but an anycast DNS setup plus good iptables rules should mitigate DDoS just fine.

Thanked by 1geekalot