Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net: accidentally doubled the disk!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net: accidentally doubled the disk!

So this day I ordered a Dedibox SC gen2 and want to use it as a FTP server to backup my own data.
And the introduce says that it has 500GB SSHD.

But when I successfully installed WS2012 via joodle.nl's guide and try to partition the disk by DiskGenius, the disk seems like 1TB:

So I called them via Skype and the service agent tell me to open a ticket.
Your website said that SC gen2 has a 500GB SSHD, but I've spotted that this server has a 1TB drive.
Why I got a 1TB drive rather than 500GB?
Is it still a SSHD or normal HDD?

And I got replied:
Online - Julien
Hello,

it's still SSHD.
It's some old SC L that are resell as SC Gen2 as the offer don't exist anymore.

You're just lucky to have more disk space.

Regards,

Julien V.

So they wanna blowout their old SC Ls as SC Gen2? I'm lucky :)

Comments

• Probably because there aren't that many so they can't market it separately.

• @XIAOSpider97 more than likely they have no smaller disks left and didn't add it to specs as its in the same pool as the other servers.

A little like how if you have a 160gb 2EUR box and the disk died you might get one of the bigger ones.

• Cool. :) This is actually quite common. Kimsufi does it,too and I received a better Xeon instead of i7-4770 in my Hetzner server.

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited February 2015

I received a 2TB HD before with the KS-3 instead of the advertised 1TB. It's basically just the luck of the draw

• @wych said:
    XIAOSpider97 more than likely they have no smaller disks left and didn't add it to specs as its in the same pool as the other servers.

A little like how if you have a 160gb 2EUR box and the disk died you might get one of the bigger ones.

That's true, one of my friends who owns a KideChire got a 250GB disk.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

said: So I called them via Skype and the service agent tell me to open a ticket.

Complaining because you got a bigger disk than normal? I wish they would just swap it for you for a 500GB one in the ticket reply.

• @rm_ said:
    Complaining because you got a bigger disk than normal? I wish they would just swap it for you for a 500GB one in the ticket reply.

People are just ungrateful aren't they :/

• as I am reading his chat he is not complaining, but wanted to make sure it's SSHD as advertised, nothing more or less ;-)

• @rm_ said:

You jealous... that's not good.

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    You jealous... that's not good.

I doubt that.

• Got a larger hard drive with a new server

• Hush it up x
    • Post on LET √
  • I once got a /26 IP block accidently. But what to do with that many IPs?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I always notify the host when something like that happens. I do not wish to have to reinstall when they pull the drive and it is the right thing to do.

• @Maounique said:
    I always notify the host when something like that happens. I do not wish to have to reinstall when they pull the drive and it is the right thing to do.

Don't be silly!!

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @rmlhhd said:
    Don't be silly!!

It's called honesty.

• Not as good as the E3 "Atom's" with 16gb ram that CC has!

• @linuxthefish said:
    Not as good as the E3 "Atom's" with 16gb ram that CC has!

Colocrossing?
    Online.net has Telia route which can connect to China Telecom without routing through the US...

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    So this day I ordered a Dedibox SC gen2 and want to use it as a FTP server to backup my own data.
    And the introduce says that it has 500GB SSHD.

But when I successfully installed WS2012 via joodle.nl's guide and try to partition the disk by DiskGenius, the disk seems like 1TB:

So I called them via Skype and the service agent tell me to open a ticket.
    Your website said that SC gen2 has a 500GB SSHD, but I've spotted that this server has a 1TB drive.
    Why I got a 1TB drive rather than 500GB?
    Is it still a SSHD or normal HDD?

And I got replied:
    Online - Julien
    Hello,

it's still SSHD.
    It's some old SC L that are resell as SC Gen2 as the offer don't exist anymore.

You're just lucky to have more disk space.

Regards,

Julien V.

So they wanna blowout their old SC Ls as SC Gen2? I'm lucky :)

Same exact thing happened to mine :p
    That extra storage is always good since I'm not using it to host a website or anything but as an FTP server.

• @asriznet said:

I just want to host my own seedbox and FTP backup, but this can accidentlly make me host more files :)

• I had the same intent. Specs are decent enough for a single user seedbox usage and not forgetting decent network speed/traffic.

Don't even need RAID setup as performance is good enough for me.

Though their T&C says not to be used solely for DL/UL, I've not encountered any bandwidth throttling so far.

Now that you've clarified this with their support, I guess I can just leave mine as is and not bother them with a similar enquiry.

They might just get tired with the questions and start replacing all the drives to 500GB just to stop the enquiries from coming in... :p

• You're lucky bro :)

• The same thing happened to me with datashack, except it was only an additional 120GB SSD