Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with OpenID
Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

In this Discussion

Why more than one IP ?

Why more than one IP ?

gnelgnel Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hi, noob question here, but I'm wondering what's the deal with having more than one ip when purchasing your vps? I imagine something useful could be done with another ip as providers charge for it.. but can't think of specific usecases because maybe I just use my vps for simple things.. does it have to do with load-balancing? or as using the vps as proxy?

LowendTalk I invoke your wisdom :-)

Tagged:

Comments

• SSL, Minecraft etc.

The Original Daniel.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited August 2012

@MrLabradoodle said: Minecraft etc.

You really don't need a dedicated IP for Minecraft or most any multiplayer pc game, its just more convenient.

SSL, non-redundant cpanel nameservers, spam, "seo", usually 1 is good, or 2 if you want to run some stuff on the other one for security reasons. I don't get why you'd need more then 2 IPs for personal use really but I'm sure minecraft kiddies dont mind paying extra for the dedicated ip when renting a server.

SonicGlass 11 Locations- Amsterdam, Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, , Milan,
    SonicBoxes.com - VPS Tips, Tricks & Tutorials

• @nunim said: You really don't need a dedicated IP for Minecraft or most any multiple pc game.

No, but ports confuse some players so to have a dedicated IP is a plus.

The Original Daniel.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • If running websites i always have 1 ip listen for http /s only and the other one listen for other traffic. Ftp ssh web panels etc. And just connect to them by ip targeted attacks are less likely to happen then.

• ZenZen Member

You buy more than one IP if you need more than one IP. Simple reasons are SSL, filtering, etc. But more advanced reasons can be anything from gameservers, webservers, loadbalancing, application load balancing..etc.

Thanked by 1Randy
  • gnelgnel Member

How is useful more than one ip for SSL ?

• @MrLabradoodle said: No, but ports confuse some players so to have a dedicated IP is a plus.

Minecraft supports SRV records now so there is no need for dedicated IPs anymore.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @gsrdgrdghd said: Minecraft supports SRV records now so there is no need for dedicated IPs anymore.

There is. What if the user wants Votifier, DynMap etc. which requires their own port?

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• Vanity hosts, i.e. for IRC. Although i can imagine most people would use ipv6 for this nowadays.

• @SimpleNode said: What if the user wants Votifier, DynMap etc. which requires their own port?

They can get their own port. I'm sure they don't have a hardcoded standard port.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: They can get their own port. I'm sure they don't have a hardcoded standard port.

Correct, however some server ranking websites do not allow you to use a custom votifier port, and some less known plugins do not allow you to change ports.

SimpleNode | Minecraft and VPS Hosting | KVM and OpenVZ | Dallas, TX and Phoenix, AZ | PayPal and BitCoins accepted

• @gnel each ssl certificate requires its own ip address.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
  • one IP management and one public services. Not that I recommend it, but saw in practice. And, to quote someone's quoted reason for another IP: "if my VPS crash I can use the other IP". M

Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my drive A: ?

Thanked by 3klikli Amitz Roph
  • KuroKuro Member

@Corey said: each ssl certificate requires its own ip address.

No, it doesn't, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

If you're still using IE6 you've got worse things to worry about :P

• @kuro it's not what we use... it's what the customer uses.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
  • @Kuro said: No, it doesn't, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication

"Our website shows up in IE fine. So it's not my problem. Switch to IE, sir."

Selling multiple 2000-user GApps :) Shoot me a message to make an offer.

• @Corey said: @gnel each ssl certificate requires its own ip address.

No really, SSL desn't require dedicated IPs.

*LetBox.Com Amazing Unmetered VPS Boxes
  • RandyRandy Disabled

@key12 said: No really, SSL desn't require dedicated IPs.

who told you that? it dose require a dedicated IP unless you are installing it on the hostname

• key900key900 Member
    edited August 2012

@Randy said: who told you that? it dose require a dedicated IP unless you are installing it on the hostname

No, If you are using WHM/CPanel can be installed, just use nobody instead of account username.

*LetBox.Com Amazing Unmetered VPS Boxes
  • Troll of the year.

Selling multiple 2000-user GApps :) Shoot me a message to make an offer.

• @Randy said: it dose require a dedicated IP

Thats wrong, every major browser supports SNI nowadays.

@Randy said: unless you are installing it on the hostname

I'm sorry, what?

• SoylentSoylent Member
    edited August 2012

The cluelessness just flows off of him in waves. I'm going to have to buy a dosimeter to make sure I'm not soaking up dangerous levels of radiation.

• RandyRandy Disabled

if you are using Cpanel/WHM , you dont need a dedicated IP to install SSL on the hostname, that is what i meant

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited August 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: Thats wrong, every major browser supports SNI nowadays.

Sure - if you pay extra...

edit: scratch that, wrong technology.

Looking for support, sysadmin, etc. work: PM
    Working on VPSM
    Thanked by 1Randy
  • @Kuro, @key12, @gsrdgrdghd

The combination of Windows XP + IE will get you disastrous result. Of course, unless you have a way to force all the corporate customers to fix it.

© 2014 eLohkCalb
  • for security reason. listen only to ip that you don't use for web server, mail server etc. and also for vhost :p lol

slow motion

• lbftlbft Member

@Kuro said: If you're still using IE6 you've got worse things to worry about :P

SNI doesn't work on any version of Internet Explorer on Windows XP. That's a significant proportion of the browsers in use today.

• I remember some people on the internet claimed that having multiple ip addresses that pointed to a website caused you to get increased pageranks. I am not sure how true this is and I suspect its not true at all but thought I would mention it. As for a logical reason I can think of, perhaps you want to do 2 different services on the same port, so you would be able to bind a specific service to one ip / port and another service to another ip / same port...

• Google penalizes you for having the same content available from different URLs. So using two separate IPs isn't going to help your pagerank at all.

Lead Developer - HostGuard Control Panel

Thanked by 1klikli
  • @NickM Thanks for clarification ;)