IP Allocation for new provider

IP Allocation for new provider

shaanlshaanl Member
edited August 2012 in General

Hiya

I've been reading here and there about becoming a VPS provider, and I am aware of the cost implications, support issues, etc etc, but there is one thing that I haven't found an answer to.

How does one get a block of IP's? I'm sure this is something necessary for running a VPS business correct? Or do I just use one IP and assign class-c or class-d IP's to each VPS?

Tagged:

Comments

• In order to get a block of IPs you must first have 1024 assigned to you from upstream providers. (You will rent each ip address from your provider at first)

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
    Thanked by 1shaanl
  • Do you mean, I get a dedi from a provider and tell them I would like to rent the IP's?

• @shaanl yes... then after you get 1024 you go to ARIN and get your own block.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
    Thanked by 1shaanl
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Member
    edited August 2012

If I understood correctly when doing my reasearch, you can get it from LIR even if you do not utilise 1024 IPs. Still needs 2 independent peerings for AS.

Disclosure: I work for Query Foundry LLC.
    I own DA International Group Ltd.
    Thanked by 2klikli shaanl
  • @shaanl said: Do you mean, I get a dedi from a provider and tell them I would like to rent the IP's?

Not exactly. You rent dedis and gather IPs as you go. You have to have a use for them (justification) or they won't provide them.

RamNode: High Performance SSD and SSD-Cached VPS
    NYC - LA - ATL - SEA - NL - IPv6 - DDoS Protection - AS3842
    Thanked by 1shaanl
  • I'm assuming though saying I'd like to provide an IP for each VPS is not enough justification? I have an account with a provider here and have 2 LEB's with them, and the IP's are on a different c-class, that's atleast what I'd like to be able to do for my customers. Would they need justification for that as well?

• For IPs on different c-class they will probably just tell you "NO". It is not possible to justify this requirement and only providers who already have a lot of address space can afford to offer this.

Thanked by 2klikli shaanl
  • Hi Shaan

Which region do you need IPs in? I know RIPE's policies are a little different to ARIN's.

A LowEnd* user walks into a bar and asks for a drink. While the bartender pours the drink, the user opens 8 tickets. When the drink is ready, the user opens a 9th ticket demanding to know why the drink isn't free.

Thanked by 1shaanl
  • @jhadley most likely the UK, it's the closest region to South Africa where I could get a dedi

• @shaanl said: @jhadley most likely the UK, it's the closest region to South Africa where I could get a dedi

PM or email me with your complete requirements, I might be able to help you out as I have something in mind.

A LowEnd* user walks into a bar and asks for a drink. While the bartender pours the drink, the user opens 8 tickets. When the drink is ready, the user opens a 9th ticket demanding to know why the drink isn't free.