Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Req] Dedicated or VPS for High amount of Traffic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Req] Dedicated or VPS for High amount of Traffic

HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
edited February 2015 in Requests

Here are my requirments.

Decent CPU, 8 GB of ram, more is accepted :), Good Disks/ at least 1 TB, Unmetered BW. As of current so far this month I`ve used about 12 TB of BW currently.

Location in order preferred but would like to stay within a price.
1. USA
2. Canada
3. Europe/France/Netherlands/Etc

Looking for under $40.

Must be a long standing company.

Comments

• What are you going to use it for?

• HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
    edited February 2015

@joodle said:
    What are you going to use it for?

I`m the select few (I guess) That uses that amount in a legit purpose. I host a ton of files for Phone Development, That I hardly make any money from, even though it gets tons of hits a day haha. I do make a little money on an uploader script that allows Free File Hosting, but of course most of that is phone dev files no copyrighted things or anything like that.

My current provider Oneprovider/reseller of online.net the server network speeds have dropped under 10Mbps in the USA most of the time.

• @hyelton said:
    Here are my requirments.

Decent CPU, 8 GB of ram, more is accepted :), Good Disks/ at least 1 TB, Unmetered BW. As of current so far this month I`ve used about 12 TB of BW currently.

1. USA
    2. Canada

Looking for under $40.

I know you probably won't choose our services, as we've recently rebranded and been in business for total < 1 year, but I thought I'd ask this to clear things up, and give you an offer anyways.

You asked for unlimited bandwidth, but later mentioned that your network speeds have dropped to under 10Mbps. What would you consider an "acceptable" network speed? For example, I'm not sure if your request is doable at 100Mbps, but we could definitely work something out at 50Mbps unmetered.

• Are you just serving static files?

• @Jonchun said:
    You asked for unlimited bandwidth, but later mentioned that your network speeds have dropped to under 10Mbps. What would you consider an "acceptable" network speed? For example, I'm not sure if your request is doable at 100Mbps, but we could definitely work something out at 50Mbps unmetered.

Thanks for the offer but 50Mbps would be way to slow. My Pages get between 10k & 18k visitors a day downloading files that are 2GB + in size.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Are you just serving static files?

The Majority of it yes, Just a Directory listing with Ads.

But been running a Xfilesharing script that has been a good hit on traffic lately as well and its actually the one reason I`m dreading a server move, as I wont be able to move the current settings, files, and users. due to not having the know how and theres hundreds of thousand tiny no name files in a ton of folders the script makes.

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited February 2015

@hyelton said:
    Thanks for the offer but 50Mbps would be way to slow. My Pages get between 10k & 18k visitors a day downloading files that are 2GB + in size.

Ah wow! Well, if you can't find anything else within your budget, I think I can still work something out with you (if you want unmetered, the best I can do is 100Mbps though).

Here's my proposed plan:
    XenPV - Dallas, TX with Incero
    2 Dedicated vCPU (as in, you can max out 2 full E3 threads)
    8 GB RAM
    1 TB HDD (No RAID)
    Unmetered @ 100Mbps
    1 IPv4 Address (if you need more, they can be provided free of charge as long as you have justification)
    $40/month

If anyone else is interested, I only have room for ONE of these so PM me and the first person who pms me gets it.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm not sure if you really need that much disk, but if you're fine with much less disk space (as in <100GB), I can also offer SSD storage instead.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • I would suggest avoiding 100Mbps if you have a lot of concurrent downloads. Gigabit works better for this especially when you get a highly requested file. If you are doing 1TB per day then 100Mbps running 24x7 at almost saturation will do 30TB/month.

We have quite a few people on our network running similar sites - just large volume APK downloads, but they are using our S3 storage which means they don't have to care about scaling it up, they just put their files there and they are available for HTTP download. They just pay storage + bandwidth.

The other option is to take a larger system eg E3-1230v3, which we prebundle with 25TB of traffic.

PM me and I'll help you find a solution.

Thanked by 2HuntersPad TheKiller
  • @MarkTurner said:
    I would suggest avoiding 100Mbps if you have a lot of concurrent downloads. Gigabit works better for this especially when you get a highly requested file. If you are doing 1TB per day then 100Mbps running 24x7 at almost saturation will do 30TB/month.

We have quite a few people on our network running similar sites - just large volume APK downloads, but they are using our S3 storage which means they don't have to care about scaling it up, they just put their files there and they are available for HTTP download. They just pay storage + bandwidth.

The other option is to take a larger system eg E3-1230v3, which we prebundle with 25TB of traffic.

PM me and I'll help you find a solution.

He brings up a good point. My 100Mbps offer was only because I thought your unmetered requirement was strict. You should definitely consider grabbing a 1Gbps port at 30TB bandwidth (which is the equivalent of 100Mbps unmetered)

• HuntersPadHuntersPad Member
    edited February 2015

@Jonchun said:
    Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm not sure if you really need that much disk, but if you're fine with much less disk space (as in <100GB), I can also offer SSD storage instead.

Good location though :) But I couldnt do that, Sending a PM your way though. Might be interested in Shared Service for personal sites though if you may offer it. Also Yeah I use about 800 GB currently haha.

• hyelton said: I`m the select few (I guess) That uses that amount in a legit purpose. I host a ton of files for Phone Development, That I hardly make any money from

How about distributing those files with Bittorrent, if you are not making money from it?

• @chihcherng said:
    How about distributing those files with Bittorrent, if you are not making money from it?

Well a lot of files "noobs" use. They dont know how to sometimes even download things let along us a torrent lol. I make enough for the server and lunch here and there depending on the month.

• @hyelton go with MarkTurner. I'm sure He will do something for you.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited February 2015

del this, wrong discussion

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited February 2015

@hyelton, i would recommend to find sysadmin. That's easy to reduce traffic by caching in cloud or proxy, or at least some little load-balancing system can be made (few lowendboxes to distributing serving of requests). I remember there are some system made especially for this aim - to reduce bandwidth on big files. If you have many users online which download one file, it should be helpful to use P2P technologies (no need for users to do anything). I personally may help you with it, should be fast & easy job, so cheap :) From your description i bet at least 80% in traffic decrease. I am highly concerned on this part - to optimize more.

About the server for this i think http://www.soyoustart.com/ie/offers/sys-ip-1.xml is the best, with 250 mbps dedicated.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@hyelton we are based in france would you test our network lg.ikoula.com and tell me if you're interested ?
    I can provide dedi or vps with you specifications.

• @hyelton said:
    Here are my requirments.

1. USA
    2. Canada

Looking for under $40.

Here`s my offer:
    AMD Phenom II x6 1045t cpu 2.7Ghz / 3.2Ghz Turbo (6 Cores / 6 Threads), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 x 1TB HDD, 5 usable ips, Bandwith: 10TB @ 1GBPS or Unmetered @ 100mbit that would be $41/Month

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2015

We have something like that but it more than $40 in Seattle

Dual E5520 8cores 16 cores total W/HT 24gb ddr3 2x 250gb or 1x 1TB Drives  100 Mbps Unmetered or 10 TB @1Gbps but we can upgrade 10TB to 20tb for free $49 per month 

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I would recommend setting up a dynamic cluster to distribute the files, multiple low cost vps's under a load balancer that will allow you to add and remove servers as your need changes.

Do you have a 24hr visitor graph for us?

• @hyelton - Still thing our object store product will serve this fine. This way you don't care about server, bandwidth, disk - you just upload your files and they are served as http objects.

PM your disk usage and bandwidth. I think this will be the cheapest solution by far.

• @MarkTurner said:
    hyelton - Still thing our object store product will serve this fine. This way you don't care about server, bandwidth, disk - you just upload your files and they are served as http objects.

PM your disk usage and bandwidth. I think this will be the cheapest solution by far.

is there any promotional or discount for your monthly and where it is located? can we have test ip for it?

• +1 for Onlinet.net, they have few servers match your requirements and budget.

• 8bit8bit Member

Online.net

• @neil413 - do you need a dedicated server or object store?

• @MarkTurner said:
    neil413 - do you need a dedicated server or object store?

Does Delimiter offer the object storage yet? I'm shopping around for a cost-effective storage and distribution system.

• @Salathe - Yomura has an enterprise object storage product, Delimiter has taken a subset of that and offered a low cost version of it. If you PM me your metrics (storage and traffic) then I'll get you some idea of costs.

• BradBrad Member

@mustafaramadhan said:
    Try http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedicated-server-overview-start

@comXyz said:
    +1 for Onlinet.net, they have few servers match your requirements and budget.

@8bit said:
    Online.net

He is currently with OneProvider/Online and I'm assuming he's looking to drop them.

Thanked by 1HuntersPad