Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you expect from the term 'CLOUD' ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you expect from the term 'CLOUD' ?

BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
edited February 2015 in General

Now basically what features do you expect when you hear / read the term 'CLOUD' from a provider and not just people with RAID-10 SSDs on E5s / E3 clusters.

Most common thing people think is cloud means various locations and higher network speeds and IO speeds but what is it that you're looking for when CLOUD is mentioned ?

P.S This is the list I came up with

1. Various Locations
  2. Faster deployment
  3. 100% availability / HA with Failover IPs
  4. Floating IPs / Reserved ones
  5. Geo re-location at the ease of client
  6. Hourly billing
  7. Snapshots Cluster
  8. True 10 gig / 1 gig bandwidth

Comments

• True multi-location HA failover, but thats just me.

Cloud is overused.

Thanked by 1BharatB
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited February 2015

wych said: True multi-location HA failover, but thats just me.

Agreed.

wych said: Cloud is overused.

Also agreed. Rackspace's used of 'cloud' recently is confounding.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited February 2015

most features with cloud services are similar with standard VMs other than HA

HA is the feature I like most and very suitable for mission critical sites......

type of service currently being developed........ ;P ad?

a small note for those who may misinterpret VM/VPS/Cloud services

over selling IS PROVIDER DEPENDANT regardless of virtualization/system platform. openvz cloud service need not be oversold and KVM vice versa

Thanked by 1BharatB
  • Multi-location with ability to move between locations, resources pool and HA failover would be a perfect fit. But even resize boxes specs from client's panel, resources pool to build instant boxes and destroy them, hourly billing, internal network connection, snapshots that can be used to duplicate or save a vps infrastructure, should fit to the term "cloud".

I agree with @wych and @Nekki that trem "cloud" is overused and most of providers using it just reffer to a old-fashioned normal vps...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

According to Microsoft commercials, cloud = Remote Desktop. Therefore, I expect very little. I am rarely disappointed that way ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Jar said: According to Microsoft commercials, cloud = Remote Desktop

Really? I 've never seen them! Oh, God, I suppose cloud nowdays can be anything. So, closest term is what @leapswitch said: Rain!

Thanked by 2leapswitch jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jvnadr said:
    Really? I 've never seen them! Oh, God, I suppose cloud nowdays can be anything. So, closest term is what leapswitch said: Rain!

I think it was this one, enjoy the laugh!

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @Jar i want to facepalm the person at microsoft that decided RDP = Cloud.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2015

^^ Hahahahaha!!!!! Desktop sharing, an option going back to the 00, now called... THE CLOUD! So, Teamviewer must be "The Storm"!

• When Cloud is mentioned, it must have:
    excellent service level,
    on-demand service,
    pricing based on usage,
    scalable

• DBADBA Member
    edited February 2015

The term makes me think of the alternate meanings to fluffy white things in the sky:

Cloud
    (n) a state or cause of gloom, suspicion, trouble, or worry.
    (v) make or become less clear or transparent

• cough servers that prices are not marked up for the fun of it

• @leapswitch said:
    Rain

Response of the year by far, and it's only mid-February.

Thanked by 2leapswitch netomx
  • Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

I expect to see another new business / company with a DigitalOcean themed website

• Cloud used to mean something (5 years ago)

Now it just means cheap, SSD backed VPS

Thanked by 1BharatB
  • To me it means distributed computing and storing for all. Meaning won't go down easily with a HW failure and you can have more cpu power and/or storage if need be.

Meaning not your regular VPS or not anything that's on the Internet.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

said: Most common thing people think is cloud means various locations and higher network speeds and IO speeds but what is it that you're looking for when CLOUD is mentioned ?

You cannot credibly provide this.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:
    You cannot credibly provide this.

Please elaborate.

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited February 2015

A company that actually uses a mixture of floated routing and actually sane network topology + SAN with fiber channels in which the virtualization migrates data in the event of failure.

Of course this is incredibly expensive so I can only dream.

• LeeLee Veteran

@wych said:
    True multi-location HA failover, but thats just me.

This is what I would have said however I feel that cloud has been so over used and distorted that it's really just the modern name for a VPS.

Instant setup, hourly billing, mutiple locations - Cloud? Pish.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2015

I expect it not to train, but its a cloud, it can happen so far, dosent matter if its a "cloud" or a cloud which hits you lightning strikes

Thanked by 1vladka24
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

BharatB said: Please elaborate.

Are you saying you are now going to be a cloud provider?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

The definition of cloud can be different, in UK non tech people think that the cloud is most insecure storage of personal data on several computers without any knowledge of location, never mind about gmail or google drive, haha

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

Neither I posses the Infrastructure nor the amount of funds to realise that concept however my project would be semi-cloud.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Cloud is multiple servers, backed by network storage. Automatic restart on new node of the VPS, in case the current one goes down. You should have range of IPs, allocated to all VPS nodes(floating IPs), powerful nodes with fast internal fibers(storage may lag else) and whatever...

• well, it's 2 nodes in different geographical location or DC, minimal, for High Availability. As for hourly billing, is it that important? Ends up square one ultimately.......unless it's just used a couple hours daily

• I feel there are two definitions of cloud (aside from the geographic one) regarding technology.

To the IT professionals, I don't really know. I've seen it marketed in so many different ways, ranging from scalable resources to load balancing with several machines and high availability for any location on demand.

To the average consumer, it's being able to access your files from anywhere in the world.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @BharatB said:
    semi-cloud.

And what is that?

• NomadNomad Member
    edited February 2015

@qrewteyrutiyoup
    A VPS with SAN mayhap?