Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low-end offers from not-low-end providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low-end offers from not-low-end providers

Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
edited February 2015 in General

Irony is that a low-end type of VPS, specs:

Xen HVM
2 vCPU 2.4GHz
2Gb RAM
50 Gb SATA disk
$4.95 monthly

(I use it for almost 3 years already, since March 2012) has come from company that doesn't appear on low-end market. It was a promotion ("if you have already a VPS from another VPS provider, we offer you twice its resources at the same price") from a well-known hoster of high-end VPS/dedicated servers market.

To my knowledge, no one here at LEB has ever managed to beat the above specs at the same or lower price.

The question, out of curiosity: do other hosters, not generally known for their low-end offers, appear on LEB-like sites?

Comments

• @Master_Bo said:
    Irony is that a low-end type of VPS, specs:

Xen HVM
    2 vCPU 2.4GHz
    2Gb RAM
    50 Gb SATA disk
    $4.95 monthly

(I use it for almost 2 years already) has come from company that doesn't appear on low-end market. It was a promotion ("if you have already a VPS from another VPS provider, we offer you twice its resources at the same price") from a well-known hoster of high-end VPS/dedicated servers market.

To my knowledge, no one here at LEB has ever managed to beat the above specs at the same or lower price.

The question, out of curiosity: do other hosters, not generally known for their low-end offers, appear on LEB-like sites?

That's insane.. what did they plan to do if someone showed up with a GVH / ChicagoVPS invoice?

• @Jonchun said:
    That's insane.. what did they plan to do if someone showed up with a GVH / ChicagoVPS invoice?

Nobody is dumb enough to match anything GVH does.

• @Jonchun said:

Most offers like that have terms where they state that the company must have been in business for X years, or must also have their same SLA/uptime guarantee... to protect them from that.

Not sure in that case though.

• @Jonchun said:

Good question. I suppose one could find their thread at WHT and just read.

Mine came from VolumeDrive.

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited February 2015

@Traffic said:
    Not sure in that case though.

Well I mean.. Let's face it, ChicagoVPS/GVH have been in business for quite a while. not sure how they're supposed to put restrictions aside from explicitly banning specific companies.

@SkylarM said:

touche. Just wondering how that offer would work legally though. For example, if someone tried to run a similar promotion and I showd them one of the crissic plans (the SUPER CHEAP ones in LA), what the hell are they supposed to do about it? Your pricing in some locations is absolutely insane. There's no way they're actually going to offer the promotion are they? (and this is from a REPUTABLE provider). some of GVH's offers are just ... lol..

• @Jonchun said:
    touche. Just wondering how that offer would work legally though. For example, if someone tried to run a similar promotion and I showd them one of the crissic plans (the SUPER CHEAP ones in LA), what the hell are they supposed to do about it? Your pricing in some locations is absolutely insane. There's no way they're actually going to offer the promotion are they? (and this is from a REPUTABLE provider). some of GVH's offers are just ... lol..

In cases where we ran a matching promo we more or less used discretion on allowing it through or not. If it's not sustainable for the provider to accept and match/double resources, then they'd be silly to do it.

• @Master_Bo said:
    Mine came from VolumeDrive.

I'm not saying this to "talk down" in any way, as volumedrive is definitely a known provider. However, I wouldn't say VD doesn't cater to the "low-end" market. I don't believe they're known for premium quality or anything anyways. They're pretty well known for their cheap pricing aren't they? I remember seeing their name around a lot, but it's not like LiquidWeb or something where you immediately think premium, managed, expensive servers.

• @SkylarM said:
    In cases where we ran a matching promo we more or less used discretion on allowing it through or not. If it's not sustainable for the provider to accept and match/double resources, then they'd be silly to do it.

So there was finetext in the promo that said something like "we have final say on whether this applies to you or not?" I'm just curious on what would happen from a legal perspective if somehow some idiot decided to pursue it. Or would it go under the clause that we all have where "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"?

• @Jonchun said:
    I'm not saying this to "talk down" in any way, as volumedrive is definitely a known provider.

To prevent possible misunderstanding. VolumeDrive's VPS I offered to match (actually, I have ordered it a few days ago when I noticed that promo action). Promotion was run by another provider and lasted for quite few days.

Also, VD has mixed reputation, but I could say nothing especially bad about the quality of their services in my case. Rather, I was quite satisfied.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited February 2015

@Jonchun said:
    So there was finetext in the promo that said something like "we have final say on whether this applies to you or not?" I'm just curious on what would happen from a legal perspective if somehow some idiot decided to pursue it. Or would it go under the clause that we all have where "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"?

I mean I doubt someone would persue legal action, but making it a conditional promotion would be the best way to cover your ass on that one. You only ever run that promo with logical expectations in mind, offering too much for too little to too many people would kill the entire profit value behind the promo.

Some people would sell it anyways at a loss for the purpose of getting their name out.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • @Master_Bo said:
    Also, VD has mixed reputation, but I could say nothing especially bad about the quality of their services in my case. Rather, I was quite satisfied.

Ah, I see now. I was under the impression VD did the promo. Whatever the case, congratulations on a good deal like that. I'm sure the owners aren't too happy as they're (most likely) selling that at a loss, but hey happy customers are worth more than the profit margins sometimes.

• @Jonchun said:
    Ah, I see now. I was under the impression VD did the promo. Whatever the case, congratulations on a good deal like that. I'm sure the owners aren't too happy as they're (most likely) selling that at a loss, but hey happy customers are worth more than the profit margins sometimes.

What they lose on this promo, they probably gain double with their usual plans..

Thanked by 2Jonchun Master_Bo
  • @Master_Bo said:
    Xen HVM

2Gb RAM

$4.95 monthly

(I use it for almost 3 years already, since March 2012)

That's still crazy pricing (even for 2015) . You're boss at deal-hunting.

Thanked by 2Jonchun netomx
  • Master_BoMaster_Bo Member
    edited February 2015

@vimalware said:

Actually, pure co-incidence. From time to time, when one of providers I use services of lapses, or exhibits worrying patterns, I start using for possible alternatives.

However, I prefer long-term relationships wherever possible. If VPS suits me and operates normally, I won't jump to anywhere else, even if pricing is significantly better.

To illustrate:

I use Amazon AWS for 4+ years (the same instance), DatabaseByDesign's (the one mentioned in this thread) for approx. 3 years, Contabo's for 1+ years. I would also recommend BargainVM, Fusioned and Sugarhosts as very reliable providers.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @vimalware said:

Seriously some crazy pricing. I wish I could have grabbed somethingl ike that.

• @Jonchun said:
    Seriously some crazy pricing. I wish I could have grabbed something like that.

And stable one, I'd add. 3 years without significant downtime (save inevitable maintenance periods). The provider often offers interesting deals/promotions, I recommend watching their threads.

However, my primary question is still unanswered - are there any other "higher-than-low-endians" from among providers who do offer something low-end by nature?

• @Master_Bo said:
    However, my primary question is still unanswered - are there any other "higher-than-low-endians" from among providers who do offer something low-end by nature?

Hate to be "that guy", but everyone's surprise/reactions at your amazing deal grab seems to answer the question for me: "No".

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Master_Bo said: However, my primary question is still unanswered - are there any other "higher-than-low-endians" from among providers who do offer something low-end by nature?

From time to time yes, if you're lucky enough to catch a good deal. What about this one from Swiftway some of us caught at WHT some year and half ago:

CORES: 1
    RAM: 1 GB DDR3 internal memory
    HDD: 500GB SATAIII Storage
    Bandwidth: 100 Mbps port with 5TB monthly transfer.
    Virtualization method: KVM
    Datacenter location: Netherlands or Chicago, USA
    1 Usable IPv4 included and free /64 Ipv6 assignment on request
    $5.- / month

Or maybe something like http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/40309/turnkey-internet-ssd-xen-vps-cloud-server-20-gb-ssd-2-gb-ram-2-cpu-linux-windows

Thanked by 2netomx Master_Bo
  • @Spirit Both are quite formidable, I agree. For catching good plans, I usually read my 'bot's reports, the one monitoring WHT :)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2015

Spirit said: What about this one from Swiftway

Wasn't there some drama about it, where people couldn't reinstall their VMs when they wanted, since "reinstalling would mean deleting the container/plan", and after re-creating, it gets assigned the regular, non-discounted pricing. Maybe they have sorted it out, but I remember seeing a lot of complaints either here or on WHT.

• http://www.cloudaccess.net/pricing.html

2GB RAM 20 GB Disk Space 2 CPU but only one application.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2015

rm_ said: Wasn't there some drama about it, where people couldn't reinstall their VMs when they wanted, since "reinstalling would mean deleting the container/plan", and after re-creating, it gets assigned the regular, non-discounted pricing. Maybe they have sorted it out, but I remember seeing a lot of complaints either here or on WHT.

The most drama came out of waiting their delayed chicago location to be up and ready. Some people which pre-paid service were waiting a bit too long and in meantime this pre-sale plan was removed. A lot of anger. Swiftway wasn't really helpful here.

Regarding your question, some people used "Destroy instance" instead of "Reinstall" (this option wasn't available in first days/beta period) and since this plan wasn't available anymore they weren't able to re-create destroyed instance. A lot of anger again.

hiphiphip0 said: http://www.cloudaccess.net/pricing.html

2GB RAM 20 GB Disk Space 2 CPU but only one application.

Is this VPS at all, or just shared webhosting offer?

• hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited February 2015

@Spirit said:

http://www.cloudaccess.net/30-about-us/98-benefits-of-cloudaccess-net.html
    I didn't use them, found them by check one IP, the site on that IP address is slow , so I think it's more like webhosting.