Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increase Read/Write Speed on PERC H200 - DEDIBOX LIMITED 4814
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Increase Read/Write Speed on PERC H200 - DEDIBOX LIMITED 4814

Hey All,

I've been using my DEDIBOX LIMITED 4814 since it was stocked by Online.net as a small Dev (Proxmox) server, I noticed when I got the server that the time it takes to create a VPS was a lot higher than my other servers with similar specs. I was just about to cancel the server when I was recommended to enable write caching on the RAID card.

My initial testing started with a DD test result of 80MB/s before enabling cache. Since enabling cache I've had a stable 122MB/s.

This fix isn't going to affect the overall performance by much but will help with files and programs that are regularly used.

In order to enable Caching on your PERC H200 RAID/DEDIBOX LIMITED 4814 you need to follow these steps -

First Run a DD test so you can compare results later -

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; unlink test

Now run the following:

1. Install unzip - yum install unzip | apt-get install unzip

2. Download the LSI Utility - wget https://repo.rmlh.uk/software/LSIUTIL-1.63.zip

3. UnZIP the Utility - unzip LSIUTIL-1.63.zip

4. cd to the Utility Directory - cd LSIUtil\ Kit\ 1.63/Linux/

5. chmod the Utility - chmod +x lsiutil.x86_64

6. Now run the Utility - ./lsiutil.x86_64

7. Enter the Number of MPT Port, In my case this is 1 then press Enter

8. Enter the Menu Number 21 for RAID Actions and press Enter

9. Enter the Change Volume Settings Section by entering 32 and pressing Enter

10. Enable Write Caching if it isn't already enabled by entering 1 and pressing Enter

11. Exit this menu by entering 0 and pressingEnter

12. Exit this menu by entering 0 and pressingEnter

13. Quit the Application by entering 0 and pressingEnter

Now run another DD test and your results should have improved -

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; unlink test

I hope this guide helped.

Please note - You are following the tutorial above at your own risk, this could cause data loss and possible damage to the drives and/or RAID card. I will NOT be help responsible for any damage or data loss caused by following this guide.

Thanked by 4rm_ mikho geekalot Farjad

Comments

• Glad my tip helped ;) Also did this on my Dacentec box with a LSI card, pair of RE3s in HW RAID 1 only putting out 60-70MB/s writes, now sit at 102-103MB/s. I'll take the data loss gamble for non-production gear.

Thanked by 1mikho
  • rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited February 2015

Some of you may get ERROR: The certificate of repo.rmlh.uk' hasn't got a known issuer. on the wget link. just add --no-check-certificate to the end if you get that. Forgot to add the int and root certs.

EDIT: fixed my certs.

• Make sure you change it back after, i think someone on here got told off for changing from RAID1 to individual disks.

You can also do the above through the KVM.

• linuxthefish said: Make sure you change it back after, i think someone on here got told off for changing from RAID1 to individual disks.

You don't need to do that manually, anyways. There's a "RAID configuration" section in the Online.net console with options for No RAID/RAID 0/RAID 1.

• By the way, if anyone still has a 4814 to rent, I'd take it. Just contact me :)