Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM or Virtualizor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM or Virtualizor

Hi,

I had posted this question on WHT as well. But not much response.
So I wanted some real feedback.

I have used both panels and have also tested with their clients area.
Both look equally good, but Virtualizor has a lot of API compared to SolusVM.
But the API in Virtualizor is not that much documented but one could build a whole panel with the Client API Virtualizor supports in JSON format.

Featurewise, I really couldnt pick any much difference except that Virtualizor supports Thin LVM in Beta.

What is the experience of this community with these panels ?
I want to use it for KVM VPS hosting.

SolusVM or Virtualizor
  1. Which is your choice76 votes
    1. SolusVM
      36.84%
    2. Virtualizor
      63.16%

Comments

• I just made the switch to Virtualizor. Seems to be much cleaner, and I personally find the ajax MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH etc. better than whatever SolusVM is doing with their panel. The admin interface in Virtualizor needs a little work, but I may write my own with their extensive API. Documentation is a bit lacking, but their support is always there to help you out. SolusVM also just straight up has stuff broken/difficult to get working. I've found problems with PowerDNS and noVNC in particular. I got virt working out of the box on the first try.

• Virtualizor, Hands down

• I am thinking about testing Virtualizor but I have not made the switch yet... I have heard good things and it seems better off then SolusVM... But i still use SolusVM as it's the only one I have used for now!

• Virtualizor, SolusVM only if you want to go with OpenVZ.

SolusVM don't have any proper documentation for KVM/XEN.

• @Sady said:
    Virtualizor, SolusVM only if you want to go with OpenVZ.

SolusVM don't have any proper documentation for KVM/XEN.

Is there anything wrong with Virtualizor for OpenVZ? I'm about to test it out in a bit.

• @Jonchun said:
    Is there anything wrong with Virtualizor for OpenVZ? I'm about to test it out in a bit.

Noops, go for that.

I prefer SolusVM myself for OpenVZ as it have all documentation which can be needed at a point & well they have OnApp behind them now :)

• @Jonchun said:

Same question. I am only interested in OpenVZ only. (sine all VPS are for my own needs)

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

@virtualizor > solusVM for me.

Nothing wrong with OVZ on Virtualizor.

Thanked by 1nexmark
  • Virtualizor is the wisest choice :)

Fantastic support , They're always answer to tickets and help you about anything about your hypervisor/virtualizor/etc.. !

Thanked by 1nexmark
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

At this point, virtualizor is most complete panel. They are better than solus in every category. And they are making standards in the industry with best ever customer support.

+1 Virtualizor

Thanked by 3nexmark netomx Pwner
  • Virtualizor Relatively simple

Thanked by 1nexmark
  • AlbaHostAlbaHost Member, Host Rep

+1 for virtualizor

• Well this seems to be a bit odd.
    I did a fair research here on the offers and people generally have SolusVM.
    Although the poll seems to be the other way around.

• Virtualizor Is a complete solution, it's the little things that account for.

Like setting up the KVM network bridge, Virtualizor does that for you.

While old and slow SolusVM needs you to do it manually, don't get me wrong solusvm isn't that bad but their support is just terrible.. Unlike Virtualizor in which they have an actual dedicated team and not some people hired from Bobcares support

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I use both, they both have thing that make me angry beyond words, they both have half ass'd implementations of a lot of things, they both have their elements where one does better than the other.

Solusvm is better documented, easier to navigate for both clients and admins, support is 1 person who is also the dev.

Virtualizor has better support, fixes and updates consider the end user/ scale and automate things for you, however they miss some really big things, like OpenVZ has no true serial console and they dont seem to understand why that is a big deal, and their documentation sucks.

I would say if I knew what I know now and had to pick one from day 1 I would pick virtualizor, the main reason is that solusvm simply does not scale well, it feels like everything is developed from a 1 master and 1 node perspective, as a result I feel in a bit of a mess, still finding ghost VM's and left behind relics etc, while virtualizor seems to consider things on a larger scale and understands I dont want to pay for a panel then do 10,000 manual tasks myself when a big fix is released.

This may change though now onapp is in play, I will be watching the next few releases, if all the bugs are still in solusvm I will have no choice but to give a polite hat tip and move on, if things get fixed I will dump virtualizor and stop running 2 separate systems.

Thanked by 2geekalot aglodek
  • SolusVMSolusVM Member, Host Rep

nexmark said: Like setting up the KVM network bridge, Virtualizor does that for you.

We always prefer a persistent bridge. It's best practice and should always be done this way if possible.

nexmark said: and not some people hired from Bobcares support

This is not quite the case anymore. We've brought a few new techs in house and if we need to, we can rely on some of the OnApp support team to step in, but yes we still have some outsourced support at the minute.

AnthonySmith said: This may change though now onapp is in play

Then you have no worries because that is the case. This is the whole point of the new branch. A completely new modular back-end is obviously required and this is what we are doing.

At the end of the day things take time and the changes being made will make sure SolusVM is flexible, extendable, reliable and easy to use. We are aiming high and intend to set a new standard that is hard to beat.

• Personally I dislike the style of both panels, Solus more so as it looks like its about 15 years old, especially the reseller panel. Personally I am stacking my bets on VirtKick being the better system longer term, modern, clean and created by a team looking to work closely with hosts.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

SolusVM said: Then you have no worries because that is the case

I am being as calm as a Hindu cow about things right now, and extra patient, I am looking forward to seeing what major updates and changes come along, it will be very interesting to see what very old unresolved issues get taken care of and which ones have long since been forgotten (a bad sign for the future imo) :)

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited February 2015

@SNetworks1 said:
    Personally I dislike the style of both panels, Solus more so as it looks like its about 15 years old, especially the reseller panel. Personally I am stacking my bets on VirtKick being the better system longer term, modern, clean and created by a team looking to work closely with hosts.

It's unusable for real production at this stage, so no point in mentioning that here.

@AnthonySmith said:
    I am being as calm as a Hindu cow about things right now, and extra patient, I am looking forward to seeing what major updates and changes come along, it will be very interesting to see what very old unresolved issues get taken care of and which ones have long since been forgotten (a bad sign for the future imo) :)

You sir, are much more patient than I am. Out with the old, and in with the new! Virtualizor ftw!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • nexmarknexmark Member
    edited February 2015

Maybe if cPanel created their own solution it would dominate.

On the other hand good for solusvm with the whole OnApp deal, hopefully they start changing the interface to not be much of a cluster fuck

• @nexmark said:
    Maybe if cPanel created their own solution it would dominate.

Why would they? They don't even do dev on cPanel because they already have the dominant share in the market. Still, it would be cool to have a vPanel lolol.

Thanked by 1nexmark
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

50%, incredible

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @Jonchun said:

Very true, I am simply stating my opinion for the longer term looking at this based on what I can see.

• Little old ticket, but WAT

There's a saying "You get what you pay for" Oh wait... Virtualizor is cheaper..

• @SNetworks1 said:

Just pointing out that OP most likely doesn't care about "long term." Looks like he wants to open his business ASAP from his billing/vps panel threads. Although a solution like VirtKick is admirable, the nature of the project means it's going to suck for a long time, and even then it won't be very widespread. Open Source software is great in theory, but when reality hits home, the products (generally) don't have the same number of features as a paid product would. I'm not saying that this won't be an exception, but just putting it out there.

@nexmark said:
    Little old ticket, but WAT

There's a saying "You get what you pay for" Oh wait... Virtualizor is cheaper..

I had a similar experience. I couldn't get noVNC to work (been like that since the beginning of when I used it, but I finally got off my butt and submitted help requests), and support responded with some bullshit about solusvm version. *sighs.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I have used both panels and well no offense solusvm team but since I was given the free virtualizor license from delimiter to play around with it I actually love it better than solusvm. I have used virtualizor and well I have to say they are cheaper. especially since you don't pay to have one server or vm just running the panel therefore costing you extra money while with virtualizor I just load virtualizor on my dedicated server and I can put vm's on the master without having to pay extra for a slave node(to even have kvm/xen vm's) so basically I save in the long run by not paying the master+slave costs(slaves being the only nodes you can put kvm/xen vm's on with solusvm's current system.)
    because if I use a panel I use kvm/xen I don't use openvz on my servers just because why use it if you can run kvm/xen instead that runs everything besides linux.

• @SolusVM said:
    This is not quite the case anymore. We've brought a few new techs in house and if we need to, we can rely on some of the OnApp support team to step in, but yes we still have some outsourced support at the minute..

I don't really care if the support is coming from Bobcares or your in house techs, but the fact is, your support sucks. I am a new Solus user (yeah, still am) and in last 2 tickets when I just wanted to get more info about few options, I was given exact copy past replies that I got few weeks ago (during pre-sales). It's like no matter what you ask, no matter what explanation you give, they will just pick a few words out of your message and reply to you like a machine.

@nexmark
    Yeah, similar experience here as well.

The only time a response from Solus was worth reading was when it cam from someone named "Phill". But that's like 1 out of 20 replies... (where the other 19 was of no use at all)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Umair said:
    The only time a response from Solus was worth reading was when it cam from someone named "Phill". But that's like 1 out of 20 replies... (where the other 19 was of no use at all)

Phil is the developer of SolusVM. That's why it might have been remotely useful.

• By the polls it looks like this community is equally divided and both panels are good.
    The Virtualizor team said that they have a release this week which is having some features that might interest me. So I think I will wait for that and decide.

• @danielbecker said:
    By the polls it looks like this community is equally divided and both panels are good.

To be honest, that's probably because some of the users didn't use anything besides SolusVM. I know it was the first panel I worked with and it was nice until I used Virtualizor one day and realized how much more capable it is on the user-end once you get used to the interface changes. SolusVM is great for people who need a panel to do simple tasks and simple usage monitoring.